Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on building/buying a gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alve7

Alve7

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hello All,

I am a gamer who has been using some bad hardware for a while now. I was not financially stable enough to buy a good PC but now that I am out of college I would like to finally make the investment and could use some advice.

To answer some standard questions, 1.) I will be gaming, both graphically intense games and less so like League of Legends. 2.) I will need a new keyboard and Monitor but not mouse or headset. 3.) I would like a high end PC but not an extreme one, my budget is the following: Ideal - $1200 If needed $1500 give or take. 

First of all I have never built a PC and am scared to do so, I feel like if I mess up there is no going back and all that money is down the drain. I have no experience building PCs and no techy friends to help. I am wondering if even considering all that I should still attempt to build a pc and if I do how do I get the proper information to ensure I dont mess up.  

If buying a PC is possible im wondering if there are sites out there that take the parts you want and put them in a PC. I have looked over IBuyPower and Cyberpower but the price per part seems kind of ridiculous. The amount they upcharge everything is really just not worth it from what I have seen.

Below is a link to a pc part picker i put together. If you could look over it and tell me if im on the right track that would be great. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F8qpnn

Thanks so much for all your help in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2017 - 05:16 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Assuming your monitor choice was what you really wanted (Samsung - LC27F398FWNXZA 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor), I made some changes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3CprQV

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3CprQV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3CprQV/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-A ATX AM4 Motherboard ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ - GL2760H 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master - Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard
Total: $1209.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-14 08:23 EDT-0400

CPU: Don't even think about Intel quad cores, AMD Ryzen 8-core is miles better.
Cooler: Ryzen stock cooler is pretty good, unless you plan to overclock
Motherboard: Mid end Ryzen board, much better than any z270 board
SSD: Cheap M.2 SSD
HDD: 2TB is not much today
Video card: good enough for FHD 60Hz, also video card prices are very high right now
Case: If you like it, it's OK
PSU: That's better IMO
OS: Windows 10 Retail is much better than OEM. At least with that price difference
Monitor: Much cheaper, I see no reason to pay $250 for FHD 60Hz one
Keyboard: no change

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

Nothing much to add from from Drillingmachine.  With Windows, you may want to consider getting the Pro edition so you can defer some upgrades and have more options on how to manage the OS.

With the graphics card, eventually, they'll come down.  I hope with the Vega RX that puts downward pressure on pricing.

I'm not sure about the Ryzen stock cooler quality, but I got an inexpensive aftermarket one for my FX-8350 just for noise and efficiency.

3939.png

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Ryzen 7 1700 stock cooler is OK. FX-8350 stock was quite bad for 125W CPU. Still AMD stock coolers are generally much better than Intel's.

#5 Alve7

Alve7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

I should have been a bit more specific on the monitor my apologies. 

I am not sure between 1080 or 1440. I have read that some computer people say you have to go 1440 and some say don't bother. I just happened to find that monitor that had good reviews was large and curved which is a big plus and for a good price. 

As for your recommendations. I really kind of want to go with skylake but don't think I need an i7. I also would preferably like to go with a GTX 1070 I must have accidentally put in a 1050. I am willing to pay the ridiculous price for the 1070 as it seems to be worth it price to performance wise. 

I have a bad history with AMD and just don't trust them, If you all still recommend going for an AMD card however I will most certainly do my research on it. 

Ultimately I want a computer that is high end enough to play most new games on ultra run moded games like skyrim and play the standard Wow/league of legends etc with no problems. I also want to future proof this PC so that I will not need to run out and replace the card or chipset etc next year.

Also I'm still unsure if I should build or if there is a way to buy what I want at a fair price, again I am fearful of building a PC on my own it makes me nervous to play around with $1500 worth of parts. 

#6 NicoForce

NicoForce

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

I am not sure between 1080 or 1440.

I am willing to pay the ridiculous price for the 1070 (...).

I'm pretty sure the 1070 handles 1440p pretty well; however, if you're going for 1080p, you might wanna hit 120hz/144hz monitor with this card to take advantage of the extra frames since you'll probably get from 70 to 120 fps in most games even when maxing out the graphics settings.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

I should have been a bit more specific on the monitor my apologies. 

I am not sure between 1080 or 1440. I have read that some computer people say you have to go 1440 and some say don't bother. I just happened to find that monitor that had good reviews was large and curved which is a big plus and for a good price. 

As for your recommendations. I really kind of want to go with skylake but don't think I need an i7. I also would preferably like to go with a GTX 1070 I must have accidentally put in a 1050. I am willing to pay the ridiculous price for the 1070 as it seems to be worth it price to performance wise. 
I have a bad history with AMD and just don't trust them, If you all still recommend going for an AMD card however I will most certainly do my research on it.

If you want 1440p, I recommend you wait for better video cards as current ones are very expensive and your budget is limited. You may still buy 1440p monitor though but GTX1070 is not enough for 1440p if you ask me.

Want Skylake but no i7 meaning i5? Then you have only crappy choices. AMD Ryzen is much better choice than any desktop i5. Intel has worse motherboards, run much hotter, no upgrade paths available... Simply put, buying i5 is like burning money.

Ultimately I want a computer that is high end enough to play most new games on ultra run moded games like skyrim and play the standard Wow/league of legends etc with no problems. I also want to future proof this PC so that I will not need to run out and replace the card or chipset etc next year.

Also I'm still unsure if I should build or if there is a way to buy what I want at a fair price, again I am fearful of building a PC on my own it makes me nervous to play around with $1500 worth of parts.

Want future proof machine? With i5 that's impossible. Generally switching video card is very simple task so with limited budget it's nearly always good choice to buy mid end video card and wait for prices drop.

Perhaps you know someone who can build it for you?

#8 Alve7

Alve7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

So 1080p is fine for now? I know people are even moving onto 4k now and I am nowhere near that crazy to spend the money for that but if 1080p is the way to go that saves me some money on a monitor. 

Is there a price tag I should be targeting for what I want that exceeds my budget. My budget is flexibile I have the money to spend more than 1500 but was hoping to keep the price down. 

As for AMD, every article or video I watched said go with an I5 or I7 and that AMD just cant compete anymore same with GPU that 1070/1080 are just superior to anything AMD has. 

As far as building goes, I dont know anyone that could build it for me unfortunately. I am not a complete novice when it comes to PC's I know my way around the parts its just I've never actually built a system. I have heard and read that it isnt all that difficult to build one and it might be a good learning experience but if there was a pre-built website I would opt for that to save the stress. 

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

So 1080p is fine for now? I know people are even moving onto 4k now and I am nowhere near that crazy to spend the money for that but if 1080p is the way to go that saves me some money on a monitor. 

Is there a price tag I should be targeting for what I want that exceeds my budget. My budget is flexibile I have the money to spend more than 1500 but was hoping to keep the price down.

As I said, you can get 1440p monitor but I still suggest you save some money from video card and upgrade it later. As your budget is somewhat limited, easiest way for savings is video card upgrade.

As for AMD, every article or video I watched said go with an I5 or I7 and that AMD just cant compete anymore same with GPU that 1070/1080 are just superior to anything AMD has. 

As far as building goes, I dont know anyone that could build it for me unfortunately. I am not a complete novice when it comes to PC's I know my way around the parts its just I've never actually built a system. I have heard and read that it isnt all that difficult to build one and it might be a good learning experience but if there was a pre-built website I would opt for that to save the stress.

I don't know what videos you watched as i5 is impossible to recommend and i7 can only be recommended for very special cases. Any article that is written after Ryzen 5 launch and recommends any i5, is written by clearly Intel biased writer. To put it shortly:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600X/20.html

Should you pick the Ryzen 5 1600X over Intel's offerings? Most definitely. The similarly priced Core i5-7600K is convincingly beaten by the 1600X across the board, and the 1600X even registers wins against the much costlier i7-7700K in some tests. These chips give you so much more, and the average frame rates are on par with Intel, but if you do nothing other than gaming on your $1,500 rig, you're still better off opting for an Intel Core i5-7600K or 7700K. If, however, you're looking for a more wholesome package that gives you the power to handle media-productivity tasks, as well as great gaming performance, then the Ryzen 5 1600X makes for an incredible option. Intel's $200-350 CPU lineup is certainly in a bit of a pickle.

AMD is not currently offering high end GPU as even mid end AMD cards are sold out everywhere. So that's why you really have no other choice than Nvidia now, unless are prepared to wait. AMD high end offering is coming in about three months. Another reason to wait as Vega will drive prices low.

As for pre-built systems can you tell any shops that offer pre-builts from selected parts? It also may help if you tell where you live.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 14 June 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#10 Alve7

Alve7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Very interesting, I am learning a lot just from this forum post. I sincerely appreciate all the advice thus far. I am an anxious person and like to know everything about every purchase I make so that's why I ask so many questions.

So AMD is the way to go with CPU, you say to save money on the GPU but as a gamer wouldn't it be in my best interest to splurge on the GPU to get the most performance? I know GPU's can be easily replaced but they are also extremely pricey so going out in a year or two and buying the "Geforce 1170" seems like more cost elements. I will need to do more reading on this as I clearly havnt looked at it enough from your great info.

As for monitor 1080p will be the way I go, 1440 would be nice but I don't think its worth it for me right now. Maybe in a few years 1440 or 4k will be more easily obtainable with newer parts so I can wait for that. 

Outside of that I think the storage PSU etc you chose is all good no questions there.

Is it worth going for watercooled or just stick with fan based, my current PC sounds like an airplane and runs hot so I really want a quiet PC for once lol

I live in Maryland, US about 30 mins outside both Baltimore and DC. I will have to look in my area for shops, I have mainly been looking online at like cyberpower/ibuypower but I have had 3 friends buy from them and comparing the parts in their pcs to pcpartpicker prices it seems like they got gouged hard. 

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

Intel r0x AMD sUx is so hard on some people mind that they need some wake up for current situation. At this time Intel's pricing simply makes Intel CPU's very poor choice. Some exceptions but applicable for your build.

If 1080p is good enough, then GTX 1060 or 1050 Ti are OK.

Air cooled PC is more than enough silent if correctly built.

I have no personal experience about those shops.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 14 June 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#12 NicoForce

NicoForce

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

So AMD is the way to go with CPU, you say to save money on the GPU but as a gamer wouldn't it be in my best interest to splurge on the GPU to get the most performance?

It is alright to splurge on the GPU in order to get better performance, nonetheless, GPU's and monitors should come in pairs. If you are planning on buying a 1080p 60hz monitor, as mentioned before, it's a little overkill since you'll be getting more performance than you'll be able to see in your monitor. As stated before by Drillingmachine, you'll be alright with a 1060.

Is it worth going for watercooled or just stick with fan based, my current PC sounds like an airplane and runs hot so I really want a quiet PC for once lol

Unless you are going to overclock your cpu, it might not be wallet-wise to spend on a water-cooling fan.

Your current PC sounding like an airpline might be caused by not giving maintenance to the fans.

Also, there are plenty of silent aftermarket fans / silent cases that you can get if you truly want to keep the silent stat up there.

#13 Alve7

Alve7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Okay great,

So what I'm getting from this is if I go for a 1440p monitor then I need a 1070 but preferably a 1080

If i choose a 1080p then a 1050 or 1060 is the best option.

AMD is the best option for either situation for CPU because its cheaper and provides the similar performance 

Air cooled fan not water 

27inch 60hz monitor does not need to be curved if going for 1080p

#14 NicoForce

NicoForce

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Okay great,

So what I'm getting from this is if I go for a 1440p monitor then I need a 1070 but preferably a 1080

If i choose a 1080p then a 1050 or 1060 is the best option.

AMD is the best option for either situation for CPU because its cheaper and provides the similar performance 

Air cooled fan not water 

27inch 60hz monitor does not need to be curved if going for 1080p

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

About the air-cooling fans vs water-cooling fans, the water ones tend to be better in giving lower temps for your cpu; however, as I mentioned before, if you're not going to overclock your cpu, you might as well save those bucks.

As for the monitor being curved or not, I guess it depends on how you feel about it. I've read that curved monitors give a more inmersive gameplay but I can't say for sure since I don't own one.

#15 Alve7

Alve7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

Again I want to thank you guys for all the help. Going out of your way to discuss this with me is a great kindness and I very much appreciate it.

I kept the 1080p PC part picker in tact and here it is.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3CprQV

I also just put together a 1440p system build so that I can essentially decide if its worth it to spend the extra money, If yall could look over it quick and tell me what you think thatd be great!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g7sjD8

If I get the okay from you it just comes down to me choosing one and going with it. Opinions on if 1440p is worth the extra money would also be really helpful.

Thanks again!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users