Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

" Your Windows License will expire soon" on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kostadinova

kostadinova

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

Since several day I am getting pop up " Your Windows License will expire soon". I am using Windows 10 Pro.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

Check to see if your Windows license is activated and linked to a Microsoft account.

Have you ever used Windows 10 preview?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Is this a custom built computer or a OEM computer?

If this is a custom build, where did you get the installation media and the product code and how long ago was the operating system installed?

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select System.

This will show whether the operating system is activated or not.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

From Microsoft...

Press Windows key + X.

Then click Command Prompt(admin)

Now type the following command and then hit enter

slmgr -rearm

Now restart the computer.

#5 kostadinova

kostadinova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Is this a custom built computer or a OEM computer?

If this is a custom build, where did you get the installation media and the product code and how long ago was the operating system installed?

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select System.

This will show whether the operating system is activated or not.

Yes, is activated.

#6 kostadinova

kostadinova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

From Microsoft...

Press Windows key + X.

slmgr -rearm

Thank you,I did it, but still is popping up Your Windows License will expire soon

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

Call Microsoft Support and get help with them.  If the operating system has been activated this is something they can help you with.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

From Microsoft...

Press Windows key + X.

slmgr -rearm

Thank you,I did it, but still is popping up Your Windows License will expire soon

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

From Microsoft...

Press Windows key + X.

slmgr -rearm

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

He never did answer that question from the first post of this thread. That would be very helpful information.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then press Enter.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Hi, if you have a genuine activated copy of windows, you can easily prevent this annoyance, many do this to improve boot time. Every time you boot windows checks your licence, you can prevent this.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated prompt will open. Copy the below cmd and right click in the prompt window and select paste. You will see a success message. Restart computer to take effect.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Software Protection Platform" /v NoGenTicket /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Dc3, desktop computers do not have Windows mobility center, so it is best to follow convention, MS call win + x the "power menu".

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

Dc3, desktop computers do not have Windows mobility center, so it is best to follow convention, MS call win + x the "power menu".

Microsoft refers to this as the Quick Link Menu.  CNET refers to this as the "Windows 10 secret menu", Computer Hope refers to this as the "Power User Task Menu", and the list goes one.  I appears that you are splitting hairs rather than "correct".

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

Hi, if you have a genuine activated copy of windows, you can easily prevent this annoyance, many do this to improve boot time. Every time you boot windows checks your licence, you can prevent this.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated prompt will open. Copy the below cmd and right click in the prompt window and select paste. You will see a success message. Restart computer to take effect.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Software Protection Platform" /v NoGenTicket /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

This is a reg. edit.  If an error is made in entering this command you can damage the registry which could result in rendering your computer inoperable.  For this reason you should at least create a new restore point.  Better still, do the following.

To backup the registry please download and install Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

Play the video below for operating instructions.

I also noticed that there is no instruction to press Enter after entering the command in the Command Prompt.  Every command has to be followed by a carriage return (Enter key) in order that the command can be executed.

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

Hi, well it most certainly is not the name you made up as I said desktops do not have mobility center, and it is correctly referred to as the Power menu in MS tech net.

"This is a reg. edit.  If an error is made in entering this command you can damage the registry which could result in rendering your computer inoperable." 

Well the only way someone could make a mistake with that command is to fail to copy and paste it correctly. Even if they did it would simply become a null entry and be ignored. If it was in any way a critical registry mod I would have suggested a backup, however as this key does not exist in windows, we are adding it, a backup would be superfluous.

I do like your efforts and many I am sure have benefited from your posts, I do not want to be anything but your friend, however I will always try to assist those that also assist, this is all I am doing.

Edited by jenae, 12 November 2017 - 05:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users