Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Of Two Xp Pc's Can't Access Most Web Pages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:37 AM

At home, I access the internet through a wireless network provided by the City. Normally, I access it through my laptop and do my heavier computing tasks on my normally non-networked desktop. Every now and then, I borrow my friend's ethernet switch and two cables to let my desktop connect to the wireless network through the laptop (for updates, etc.)

Here's the issue:

My laptop (which connects directly to the WiFi network) receives "HTTP Proxy Reports" stating that the host cannot be reached. This is true for the majority of webpages (including Bleepingcomputer.com). I assusmed it was a problem with the city's equipment and waited quietly for them to fix it. IN the meantime I used proxy browser services to do some limited browsing.

Today, I connect my desktop to the laptop to update Windows, antivirus, etc. and I was able to access all webpages with no problem!

How can this be?

Stats:

Laptop:
Model: Dell Latitude C400
MS Windows XP Pro SP2 (upgraded from XP Home SP2 just before this problem started, could that be it?)
Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA wireless card
Intel Pentium III-M @ 1000MHz

Desktop:
ECS 661GX-M Motherboard
MS Windows XP Pro SP2 (clean install)
Intel Celeron D @2.66 GHz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:09 PM

And now the desktop is exhibiting many of the same issues! Arg!

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:33 PM

Well... there are two things, one could possibly be spyware malware or a virus, or it could be the browser your using... OH wait now I remember, this is a virus, I almost remember... This is a pretty malicious virus, you really need to do a hijack this log, under the hijack forum, they'll catch it for you. Oh, and if you refresh the page enough, it will sometimes show you the page...

Edited by Gyro, 11 September 2006 - 11:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users