Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

30 FPS in every game almost.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 poey27529

poey27529

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:52 AM

I use to get 60+ FPS playing league of legends and minecraft. Now i get about 30 and lower depending on whats happening in the game. But the very strange thing is i was playing overwatch earlier getting 60 FPS no problem. And when i played league an minecraft i was getting 60 fps until i changed my graphics. On overwatch i didn't change my graphics and i'm getting 60+ Fps.

The whole problem started about 3 days ago i think. I'm not sure but i think there was a power outage because my laptop shut off. Do you have any idea what could possibly be the problem? RAM? GPU? HARD DRIVE?

I have an Alienware 14 Laptop  with integrated graphics

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Video Card #2
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
RAM
8.0 GB
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit 

I tried updating all my nvidia drivers to lastest version. Then i tried reinstalling a older version of nvidia drivers. and now i'm currently running back again with the newest nvidia drivers.

Another problem i notice is i Watch Twitch.tv a lot and i use to watch it in 720 or 1080P with 60 FPS, but now if i try to watch it in 60 fps it stutters every 3 seconds.

Edited by poey27529, 13 June 2017 - 01:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:19 AM

Easiest, fastest fix is do a System Restore.

The whole problem started about 3 days ago i think. I'm not sure but i think there was a power outage because my laptop shut off. Do you have any idea what could possibly be the problem?

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 13 June 2017 - 02:21 AM.

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

you might also try reinstall of Dell/ALienware's available chipset drivers, then Nvidia drivers...

Check cpu temps with CPUz, gpu temps with similar software?

Any signs of unusual processes or resource hogging things showing up in task manager or sysinternals' ProcessExplorer?

Failing that, I'd start gathering all software required in the event a full format/reinstall is needed to 'untangle' this, barring signs of some sort of cpu/gpu throttling issue....

Edit___-sorry, not sure why text all posted twice...

Edited by MDD1963, 14 June 2017 - 01:40 AM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:21 AM

Easiest, fastest fix is do a System Restore.

The whole problem started about 3 days ago i think. I'm not sure but i think there was a power outage because my laptop shut off. Do you have any idea what could possibly be the problem?

I tried doing a system restore twice. It failed every time. I only had 1 restore point and it was on 6/7/2017 i think and it is now 6/13/2017 currently as i post this. The first time i tried to system restore i started my computer up normally and did it. Then the second time i tried going to into Safe Mode and doing a system restore but still an error. And now the 6/7/2017 restore point is no longer found.

you might also try reinstall of Dell/ALienware's available chipset drivers, then Nvidia drivers...

Any signs of unusual processes or resource hogging things showing up in task manager or sysinternals' ProcessExplorer?

Failing that, I'd start gathering all software required in the event a full format/reinstall is needed to 'untangle' this, barring signs of some sort of cpu/gpu throttling issue....

I am currently running chrome only and it says this under task manager
Physical Memory (MB)
Total - 8077
Cached - 3671
Avalable 4736
Free - 1130

and above that it says 3.25GB of memory being used i think.

Here is an image of the temperatures. These are idle temperatures.

I'm not too sure how i would go about reinstalling chipset drivers and stuff but i can maybe try to find out. I was trying to figure out what the main problem of this was and how ot fix. Like hardware or software related. I ran malewarebytes anti virus scan and got 0 results of viruses. So it's not a virus of some sort and i don't even download anything really.

Edited by poey27529, 13 June 2017 - 03:23 AM.

#5 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

I just kinda want to know if the problem is being caused by software or hardware so i can have some idea how to fix it. There was a power outage but i powered off my laptop after it happend by hand. I'd probably say it's a hardware issue but no idea what is messed up? It kinda seems like its my CPU but i have no clue. Because web browsing ./ trying to play videos on twitch.tv is slow and skips a lot.

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

The whole problem started about 3 days ago i think. I'm not sure but i think there was a power outage because my laptop shut off. Do you have any idea what could possibly be the problem?

I tried doing a system restore twice. It failed every time. I only had 1 restore point and it was on 6/7/2017 i think and it is now 6/13/2017 currently as i post this. The first time i tried to system restore i started my computer up normally and did it. Then the second time i tried going to into Safe Mode and doing a system restore but still an error. And now the 6/7/2017 restore point is no longer found.

Power outages do not cause System Restore to fail, and System Restore points to disappear, but malware does that all the time.

The whole problem started about 3 days ago i think. I'm not sure but i think there was a power outage because my laptop shut off. Do you have any idea what could possibly be the problem?

I tried doing a system restore twice. It failed every time. I only had 1 restore point and it was on 6/7/2017 i think and it is now 6/13/2017 currently as i post this. The first time i tried to system restore i started my computer up normally and did it. Then the second time i tried going to into Safe Mode and doing a system restore but still an error. And now the 6/7/2017 restore point is no longer found.I'm not too sure how i would go about reinstalling chipset drivers and stuff but i can maybe try to find out. I was trying to figure out what the main problem of this was and how to fix. Like hardware or software related. I ran malewarebytes anti virus scan and got 0 results of viruses. So it's not a virus of some sort and i don't even download anything really.
I just had a thread where we spent almost a week chasing zebras because I took the OP's word that he was "not infected".  No guarantees, but my guesstimation is that there's a 90% chance you are infected.  AV software doesn't guarantee that you are infection free.  Malware develops at a rate faster than what the AV companies can update their definitions.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 13 June 2017 - 02:25 PM.

#7 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

So is there any way to remove the infection? I ran a full scan with malewarebytes anti virus and got 0 detections . And i tried system restoring twice and now i can't really because the restore point is now gone. I'm just so confused on what to do =( . I'm guessing i have to somehow clean my computer or do a reinstall but no idea how. Like i said i have an alienware 14 and i do have 2 discs that came with my laptop and one disc says ( Alienware 14 Resource DVD ) and another that says (Alienware Pro 64 Bit) . I'm guessing i have to use the resource DVD if i were to use that but i see a lot of people saying it's bad and i should use dell to get my drives. Any idea what i should do? Thank you for replying.

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2017 - 06:35 AM.

#8 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

There's a process for getting a Malware Removal Expert to help with your machine.  I suggestion you read the stickies in the "Security" forum, figure out what that process is and then do that.

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

Temperatures it get's to when you're actually running the things you're having problems with would be more useful than idle temperatures.  It's pretty common on laptops for them to get more prone to overheating over time as the dust builds up on internal heatsinks, etc.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

The thing is i really don't think it is malware to be honest. I never download anything and simply play 3-4 games only. Before this happend i was playing the same game for about 3 days and watching youtube. Don't remember downloading anything at all.

But i was looking around the security forum and i saw this post - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648961/possible-infection-computer-is-dreadfully-slow/

I have about the same problems as he stated there , the crackling of audio if i have a lot open. And bad FPS issues. But i never crashed. And at the end of the forum he stated it was a hardware problem so that kinda makes me think i have somewhat of the same issue but wish he stated what the hardware issue was. I think i'm going to try to clean my fan , check in the hardware to see if i find anything and if that doesn't do anything i guess i will try the virus method.

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2017 - 06:37 AM.

#11 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hardware problems do not break System Restore, and they do not delete System Restore points.  That's a symptom of malware.

Have you run chkdsk?  Did it find any errors?

#12 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

I've had chkdsk automatically run twice randomly when i started up my computer.  I have no idea what it was so i jsut let it go twice and i walked away so i never got to see what it said when it was done. Do i really have to sit there and wait to see something? Or is there a log of it?

#13 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

I've had chkdsk automatically run twice randomly when i started up my computer.  I have no idea what it was so i jsut let it go twice and i walked away so i never got to see what it said when it was done. Do i really have to sit there and wait to see something? Or is there a log of it?

Yes there is a log of all completions of chkdsk.  A google search of "where is the chkdsk log" should tell you what you need to know. I would expect either at the root of the system drive, at the root of the Windows directory or maybe in System32.  "chkdsk.log" I think is how they are named.

You should manually schedule your own chkdsk, do the "full" option i.e. "chkdsk /f".

Research "hard drive errors".  Chkdsk fixes hard drive errors.

Sometimes HD errors are a sign of a failing HD.  They start out infrequent and build more & more until finally the HD fails.  They can also be caused by power interruptions, spikes, lightening strikes.

And also malware.

If I suspect the HD errors are due to a hardware problem (and not infection), I keep running chkdsk until I see two consecutive scans with "0" errors, which means 3 minimum scans.  One "dirty" and then two clean.  If two dirty, then two clean, equals four scans.  Either the HD is going to recover, or the HD is going to fail permanently.  Have your data backed-up before doing this.

#14 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

About a year ago my hard drive died. I didn't have any money at the time and i just simply took the HD off my old laptop and it somehow fit in my alienware laptop. The HD was from a dell inspirion i think. Never had an issue with it but the hard drive is definitely at least 7-10 years old. As i have programs installed from 2010. That will probably make you think it's a hard drive failing maybe? Not to sure anymore. 

I have 2 questions

What do i even do with this chkdsk log i have now?  I found the logs but don't understand what to do now.

Can a failing HD / virus really inpact my FPS that much and browsing experience. I can watch youtube videos in 1080p just fine. But playing games and watching live streams that require 60 fps i can't at all and constantly getting BAD fps.

#15 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

About a year ago my hard drive died. I didn't have any money at the time and i just simply took the HD off my old laptop and it somehow fit in my alienware laptop. The HD was from a dell inspirion i think. Never had an issue with it but the hard drive is definitely at least 7-10 years old. As i have programs installed from 2010. That will probably make you think it's a hard drive failing maybe? Not to sure anymore. 

I have 2 questions

What do i even do with this chkdsk log i have now?  I found the logs but don't understand what to do now.

Can a failing HD / virus really inpact my FPS that much and browsing experience. I can watch youtube videos in 1080p just fine. But playing games and watching live streams that require 60 fps i can't at all and constantly getting BAD fps.

Attach the log file to your next post.  Or you can copy and paste the text into the post itself.  It's nice if you hide the text behind "spoiler" tags so it doesn't clog up the whole post and thread.

Yes a failing HD can impact anything that requires reads and writes.  A failing HD might mean that the computer has to try to read something multiple times before it gets the data, vs. reading something once and moving on.  Same for writing times.  Also the errors could be recorded somewhere, which also takes time away from doing other things like FPS.  A 7 year old is 2 years older than you have a right to expect it to live.  The Smithsonian called, and they want to put your hard drive on display in the "Ye Anciente Technologie" exhibit. There's a delegation visiting Washington DC from Japan, and they've never seen one that old before, so it's more or less an "international incident" type of thing.  The FBI will be coming by in a black van later, to pick it up. Do NOT get into the van.  Even if they offer candy.  That's how they got Seth Rich.

On a personal note I can read between the lines and see that you are looking for a fast, right now solution.  There's no way that can happen.  If I, or some other Tech, were physically right there at the machine, it might get fixed in 15 minutes, but doing it this way, via forum communication, or what I call "remote control" is ALWAYS slow and tedious.  You can have it fast, you can have it right, or you can have it cheap, but you never get all three.  This is the right, cheap and SLOW way.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 14 June 2017 - 02:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users