Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bootable Linux USB that reports Voltages and Temps?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

In just the couple of weeks that I've been here I've noticed several Users with problems that might be heat or voltage/power or both that can't boot to the O/S due to possible data corruption from either heat of bad power.

USB drives are infinitely more bootable now than they used to be and the LInux options are MUCH better so now I'm wondering if a useful troubleshooting option for a User here on BC might be to have them make a bootable USB drive using Rufus and "X" in order to get a report of their system without being able to boot from their Hard Drive.

In short, do they make a "Speccy" for Linux?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:49 AM

Nope. No such thing for Linux.....well; not exactly like Speccy, anyway. And it won't run under WINE, either.

I believe there's something available for most Linux distros called 'Inxi' (that's a capital 'i', not a small 'L'). And if you look here, there's a discussion about how to get the best out of it.

Inxi provides a text output, just like Speccy.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 13 June 2017 - 04:49 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:35 PM

Nope. No such thing for Linux.....well; not exactly like Speccy, anyway. And it won't run under WINE, either.

I believe there's something available for most Linux distros called 'Inxi' (that's a capital 'i', not a small 'L'). And if you look here, there's a discussion about how to get the best out of it.

Inxi provides a text output, just like Speccy.

Thanks Mike.   I'll check this thing out.

Doesn't it seem like there's a need to get a utility Users can run to get their voltages and temps without having to rely on a working O/S and HD?

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:25 AM

Yes there is, but may be easier for most beginner users to use the inbuilt tools if they exist, and run the OEM Diagnostics.  For instance, in an HP computer you would choose F9 at boot, and run the hp diagnostics.  Dell also has this, don't know much about the others yet.  

Not all computers have this so then a LinuxLiveSession would be of great help like you are suggesting, or you would need to boot other purpose built tools to do the job.  Sometimes I get a pc that won't boot, and I need to know if it is worth fixing for the customer, so I boot up LinuxLiveSession usually a USB, but sometimes a DVD.  If you want to test Heat and HDD for errors you will need to install other tools, or create a Full Install USB that has all the tools built in which I do all the time.  

This is not the best thing for beginners that visit this site though because it requires installing tools via the terminal, booting USB's etc. that they may not be all that comfortable with, or need more attention to do so than can be provided via the Forum.  I like doing it in Linux because I then also have an OS that I'm already in.  I can surf the web, listen to music, create word documents and save to USB, or anything else I want while I'm working on a computer.  I can also grab the specs like Mike_Walsh said with a simple command.  Test Wifi, Ethernet, Video, Sound etc. it works quite well.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:42 AM

@Aaron_Warrior:-

If you want to put together a bootable USB with diagnostic tools, then I would seriously consider using Puppy Linux.....which was designed from the outset to be installed to a USB stick, and to load into, and run fully at RAM speeds (which is the fastest component of any system).

I would recommend Tahrpup64, it being based on the currently-supported Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release 'Trusty Tahr'. It's very stable, has access to the vast Ubuntu repositories, and has a certain number of system & diagnostic tools already built-in. Inxi is quickly available from the PPM (Puppy Package Manager), as are GSmartControl and SmartMonTools (for drive diagnostics).

Frugally installed, Tahr64 occupies around 500MB in use. The ISO files are a mere 250MB in size.

Puppy has long been known as the 'Windoze Rescue Disk'.....which is not doing the OS justice at all.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 14 June 2017 - 03:44 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Thanks that IS what I was thinking about.  Some kind of Linux based USB repair tool intended to be used on Windows machines, mostly to rule-out power and heat as causes.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Puppy would be excellent for this!

I am more familiar with Linux Mint so tend to stick with that.  I would love to Create a Custom USB and Disk with the tools I want in it, but not enough time to learn this stuff.  We can add these tools pretty easy after boot up as seen in the Link Mike Provided.  There are many tools like this around but I still like Mint the best, I'm lazy, and have them already burnt to USB's and DVD's Ha! LOL.

There is Hiren's Boot CD

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/screenshots/

And there is Knoppix

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users