Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Doesn't Turn On

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda12

Amanda12

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

Hello everyone!! (I think I'm the only one here though on a Saturday night :thumbsup:)

Anyway, I've been reading through the forum to see if I could find some answers to my problem with my HP and the closest one is "Old School" dated September 1, 2006. So, I've noted some of the answers and I'm going to try some things (that apply) tonight with my computer.

However, the initial problem started when I began to notice my computer slowing down, so I decided to remove some programs, files that I no longer needed. Afterwards, it didn't seem like it help any at all. A few days after that I began to get errors saying the memory was low and so I decided to completely start all over, going back to when I bought the computer new. However, when I attempted to do this it wouldn't let me saying the memory was low or not enough memory. Next thing I knew my computer completely crashed and I haven't been able to get it back on. Here are some of the things that are coming up when I try to start it.

1. Stop: c000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}
The session manager initialization system process
terminated unexpectedly with a status of
(0x000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000.)

The system has been shut down.

2. Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\system root\system 32\config\SOFTWARE
orits log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent or not writable.
Beginning dumping of physical memory.
Physical Memory Dump Complete.
Contact you system administrator or technical
support group for further assistance.

I've tried starting it in Safe Mode and Last know good configuration and it will only go this far then it starts all over again.

Would you happen to have a clue what all of this means?

I would appreciate any help you could give me. :flowers:

Thank You!

P.S. My computer is an HP - WINDOWS XP

Edited by Amanda12, 10 September 2006 - 12:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:20 AM

Welcome to Bleepig Computer.
From what you have posted you may have a corrupted registry. The explaination on how to recover is very lenghty and complex. The best option will be for you to read the Microsoft KB and post any question you may have with us. There are two KB article that apply to your Post.
If for any reason you are not sure or fell you cannot complete the task, STOp and ask questions. I feel sure we can help you thru this but you will need to read the articles.

Error Message "STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}"

How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

Have you ever made a copy of the registry or used a program that did so, like possibly Spybot or Erunt that can be used to restore the registry?

Have you recently modified the registry yourself recently or used a "registry cleaner" or tool that did so.

Do you have either the HP Restore disks or the Windows XP install disk?

#4 Amanda12

Amanda12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:01 AM

Enthusiast, I have a friend that could of made some changes that I'm unaware of and come to think of it she was on my computer right before this happened. I'm not blaming her, but she was doing something to it claiming it would speed it up??

I have back up floppy disks, but when I tried them they didn't work. Or maybe I doing some thing wrong. Would the back up have the registry on it?

I'm certain I don't have an HP Restore disk because, it didn't come with the computer. I should have the Windows XP install disk and will look for it. If I can't find the Windows XP Home Edition, can I use the Windows XP Pro instead?

Thank you for your help!

#5 Amanda12

Amanda12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:55 AM

Acklan, I'll read through some of the information tonight. It looks like some of the problems I've been having.

Thanks!

#6 Amanda12

Amanda12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:58 AM

Enthusiast, I just checked and I don't have a Windows XP installation CD. The computer came with it Pre-Installed. However, I do have the Window XP Pro from my computer at my office. Would it be possible to use that instead?

#7 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:21 AM

Perhaps if you repaired the os from the XPcd.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html
everyday is a gift

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but don't believe a repair install will fix a corrupted registry. The process doesn't use the Recovery Console. I am sure that you shouldn't use an XP Pro CD to repair an XP Home installation.

However you should be able to use the Pro CD to boot from and run the Recovery Console as related in the first article acklan linked to. That is if it is a standard install disc and not an OEM Recovery disc.

The best option will be for you to read the Microsoft KB and post any question you may have with us.

I began to get errors saying the memory was low and so I decided to completely start all over, going back to when I bought the computer new.

Just out of curiosity, could you explain what you mean by going back to when the computer was new? What exactly did you do? Did you try to run a recovery?

From what I get from the first article, your hard drive may have been about to give up the ghost and whatever you did may have corrupted the registry. I would try Step 2 in that first article to see if the hard drive works at all. If it is gone I don't know if there is much you can do, but report back here if that's the case.

Don't know if that second article really fits your situation--it doesn't include your exact error message. It may give an idea of what caused it, which is why I ask what it was that you did. But if you look up this error message:

Stop: 0xc0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\CorruptHive or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

You'll find these articles that might be helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822705
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

And you may just need to go to this process:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;q307545

It would also be helpful if you could ask your friend what she did while on your computer. Did she run a registry cleaner, adjust the page file, etc. It's not about blaming anyone, and I'm not trying to embarass you or anyone else, but for future reference it would be nice to know what caused this problem so we know how to help some one else with the same.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#9 Amanda12

Amanda12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd let you know that I installed Windows XP Pro on my computer and so far so good! However, there were some things that I still need to clarify, but I'll ask a little later.

Again, Thank All of You for all the help!!!

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

How did you install Pro?

Did you buy a new retail full install disk and 25 digit coa to install it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users