Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 update 1703 (Creators) schedule?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

I have a desktop (Dell XPS 8700) running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, and a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5537) running Win 10 Home 64 bit.

The desktop updated to version 1703 (Creators Update) some days ago.  No problems noticed so far except that it asked to install an already installed HP network printer, with the result that the network printer now appears on the desktop as "driver unavailable" while on the laptop it continues to function normally (see https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648932/curious-behavior-of-networked-printer-after-win-10-1703-update/).

I am wondering when the version 1703 update will turn up on the laptop?  I realize I could trigger it manually, but have gained the impression that's not such a good idea - so being naturally curious I am wondering if there is any pattern here that might tell me more or less when to expect it for the laptop.

This is mostly just curiosity, and wondering if the update for Home versions of Win 10 is on a different schedule from the Pro versions.  The laptop is usually sitting in my office, plugged in and online, but it also goes with me to other offices where it is sometimes connected to the local WiFi network.  Sometimes also it sits in its carrying bag for some days unused and unconnected.

I spent some little time on Google trying to find answers to this question, without result.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

Normal for Microsoft and Windows 10.

It shows up when it shows up...or you can use the Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by jwoods301, 12 June 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

@saluqi

From BleepingComputer: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-advises-against-manually-installing-windows-10-creators-update/

Here's a current Microsoft forum question and a reply that I find helpful: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-creators-update-not-automatically/b0820773-1b65-47f0-aea4-ba08e63e70de

<snip>

AOArgel Obm replied on  May 10, 2017See post history
Microsoft  Forum Moderator
Hi Marilyn,
We suggest you wait for the Creators update to be offered through Windows Update. Windows 10 may still be checking the drivers and also the specifications of your device if it will work on the Creators update before offering the update. Also, make sure that you have a enough free disk space on your computer so that you will not encounter any issues when updating to the Creators update.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

Normal for Microsoft and Windows 10.

Absolutely.

I have posted, on many occasions, that the "major updates," by which I mean updates which change your Windows 10 Version Number, do not roll out like regular Windows Updates that apply patches or "small functionality" to a version already on a given machine.

Regular updates to existing versions tend to roll out over a period of days, at most.   Major updates routinely roll out over a period of months.  Machines are grouped into update cohorts (and how Microsoft determines when any given machine running Windows 10 ends up in one is a complete mystery) and the individual cohort is updated.  That cohort's telemetry is then monitored to determine whether any unanticipated issues occur and whether any of these need to be fixed before the next cohort is formed and the update applied to it.

That's one of the true beauties of the ongoing use of and improvement to system health telemetry.   Given the sheer number of machines out there that have been upgraded to Windows 10, many of which were never certified by their makers as being Windows 10 compatible, it is absolutely impossible for Microsoft to have a test bed that would include anything close to all the configurations out there running Windows 10.   If a major "burp" is encountered on any significant number of machines, and particularly if those machines do not share a common platform, then fixes to whatever causes that "burp" must be done before roll out continues.   If a major "burp" occurs on some hardware that is not officially supported, then there is still the question as to whether other hardware that is might be using the same component(s) that are triggering the issue(s) and whether fixes still must be applied before roll out continues.

I have two of my three machines, both Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, that have been upgraded to Version 1703 and those two updates were months apart.  My Windows 10 Pro 32-bit box still remains on Version 1607, and I have no idea when it will be added to an update cohort for Version 1703.  I just wait.  The only time I would worry is if/when Microsoft announces that the roll out for a given Version is complete and I have a machine that did not update via Windows Update for some reason.  Then, and only then, would I consider using the Media Creation Tool to do the upgrade manually.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 560 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

@softeyes

I had already understood that trying to "force the pace" of updates was a poor idea.  In that context the Microsoft Forum response makes perfect sense.  Indeed, given the mind-boggling diversity of hardware platforms out there, it's sufficiently remarkable that Win 10 works so very well as it does.  Very impressive, it seems to me.  I will therefore wait patiently (more or less <G>) until the update comes my laptop's way.  Anyway I have no complaint about the way it works now, with Version 1607.

With a nominal 1 TB of hard disk capacity, nearly 800 GB of which is currently free, I doubt that I will run out of space to install the next upgrade.  All the heavy duty image stuff (I'm a photographer, among other things) is on external hard drives, mostly offline except when in use, and is handled on the desktop machine with a bigger and better monitor, more processing power, etc.

@britechguy

I fully appreciate what you are saying there.  As noted above, I have no desire to try to short-circuit the process you describe.  Indeed I am considerably reassured by understanding that updates of this nature are not fired out following any kind of arbitrary schedule.

Thanks to both for putting my mind at rest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users