Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible hard disk errors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

I have a computer that someone was not properly shutting down. Now the computer does not start up with one of the programs that it is supposed to, and the program when I attempted to open it just hung at the startup screen and would not respond to ctrl + shift + esc or ctrl + alt + delete.

I am wondering if using the "chkdsk /f /r" command from the Windows Installation disk is the best thing to do to try and see if there are errors on the hard disk that can be fixed, or if there are any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hard to say what's "best" when it's not apparent just what is the problem...but...assuming that it's not a hardware problem, I would run 2 commands.

First, I would run chkdsk /r...I would follow that with the sfc /scannow command.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

Run sfc scannow command prompt, Aura - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579699/missing-uxthemedll-file/?p=3736491

Louis

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

After running chkdsk and sfc, you might try running a system restore and get your program(s) working again.

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#4 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hard to say what's "best" when it's not apparent just what is the problem...but...assuming that it's not a hardware problem, I would run 2 commands.

First, I would run chkdsk /r...I would follow that with the sfc /scannow command.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

Run sfc scannow command prompt, Aura - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579699/missing-uxthemedll-file/?p=3736491

Louis

Would running startup repair from the Windows 7 installation disc be helpful to run after these two scans, or possibly before?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

One step at a time...is the way that I would proceed.  Your original premise concerned chkdsk /r...I'd like to see if that makes a difference before moving on to some other possibility.

Startup repair is for when  the system does not boot into Windows properly.  From the way I interpret your initial post, that's not the issue here.

Louis

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

I understand what you are saying. I neglected to mention that when the computer starts it seems that most of the time it says "Windows was not shut down properly. Please choose how you would like to start. Normal, Safe Mode etc." I'm paraphrasing after normal.

It will boot if Normal is selected.

Edited by huntsin2, 14 June 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#7 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Thank you both for your replies. It seems the person who I was helping with this does not wish to try and fix the issue, so I won't be pursuing this any further.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

:thumbup2:, thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users