Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

music while downloading files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AbleTec

AbleTec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

Hello. First, I really like bleepingcomputer.com, & what I'm about to say should not be construed as dispersion. However, it really is against accessibility guidelines of WCAG 2.0 to play audio that the user did not request for longer than 3 seconds. The reason for this is that it interferes w/screenreaders used by sight-impaired/dyslexic users in order to listen to the contents of the screen. Please consider removing audio that plays automatically, or shorten its duration to < 3 seconds. I do strongly recommend that if the audio is not necessary, it should simply be removed, or, conversely, that a button be provided, ie., "Wanna hear some music while downloading? Click this."

I sincerely hope you'll consider this suggestion & take it in the spirit in which it was offered. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

Thanks AbleTec.

According to the WCAG 2.0 specification:

If any audio on a Web page plays automatically for more than 3 seconds, either a mechanism is available to pause or stop the audio, or a mechanism is available to control audio volume independently from the overall system volume level.

We adhere to these guidelines by providing multiple mechanisms to stop the audio, whether that be via the pause button or the volume controls in the video player.

With that said, I do understand that people do not like that advertisement and am looking into a different ad for that spot.

In the Interim, users can login to the site and not see any ads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users