Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox not Responding

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

@ Quietman7 since you use Firefox, but open to all others.

I have used Firefox for years in combination with Sandboxie. In the last 2-3 weeks or so, Firefox has been repeatedly not responding. It clears after a few seconds back to normal, but is happening all the time and makes life very poor indeed.

I do not wish to do anything that affects or loses my bookmarks and passwords, these are vital to me. One of the  favourite fixes given on the web is to rename the "places" file, which I have not done for fear of losing my data.

Have you any simple suggestions why this has recently happened and how to fix it ?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Have you updated to the most current version for your Windows version?

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

I am still using Windows XP for personal reasons.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

Have you automatically been upgraded to the Extended Support Release? If not then uninstall your current firefox after saving your bookmarks and download the Extended Support Release.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

Have you automatically been upgraded to the Extended Support Release? If not then uninstall your current firefox after saving your bookmarks and download the Extended Support Release.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Yes John, Firefox automatically installed the ESR in a normal update. It is up-to-date.  When Firefox dump XP in Sept. I will go to Opera.

In view of my XP and Firefox Sept. issue, I have no wish to make a career out of this matter. If there is no easy fix, I will have to soldier on or make Opera my default browser.

I would like a comment on renaming the "places" file.

Edited by Beaker77, 12 June 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

Because this was an automatic upgrade it may be best to do a clean install of the ESR. That being said if you wish to save your bookmarks to be used again in Firefox then open firefox open bookmarks by pressing Ctrl + Shift + B. Under Import and Backup you can backup your bookmarks to a json file if planning on importing them back  into firefox. If going to another browser select export to HTML file. Most browsers can import a HTML bookmark file. I am not sure about Opera.

As far as passwords go you would can backup the firefox profile as outlined in the below links. Backing up a profile will save bookmarks, passwords, and extensions.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Or, you can use this addon to save passwords to a XML, CSV file. I am not sure if Opera can import passwords though.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/password-exporter/

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

Opera is almost a mirror image of Chromium. It does everything that Chrome and Firefox do. No problems with saved passwords or bookmarks, it is just like having Chrome as your browser.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Depending on how much RAM or CPU power you have and what you use the computer for you may want to consider a linux distro over XP. On a computer with not much RAM Puppy linux is a good start. If you have the power and RAM then linux Mint is a good distro to migrate to from Windows.

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

@ Quietman7 since you use Firefox, but open to all others.

I have used Firefox for years in combination with Sandboxie. In the last 2-3 weeks or so, Firefox has been repeatedly not responding. It clears after a few seconds back to normal, but is happening all the time and makes life very poor indeed.

I do not wish to do anything that affects or loses my bookmarks and passwords, these are vital to me. One of the  favourite fixes given on the web is to rename the "places" file, which I have not done for fear of losing my data.

Have you any simple suggestions why this has recently happened and how to fix it ?

Thank you.

As an avid computer user.  Firefox had this anti-gay thing with it.  What does that mean?  Nothing. (maybe the greater than and less than people are blocking it.. *snickers*..) Use standalone firefox and you can run it from USB and put whatever you want on it.  Standalone firefox?  Yep...
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

#10 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

What exact Linux version do I need to replace XP ?  Can I then use Chrome or Firefox ? If so can I imoprt my passwords and bookmarks from Chrome and Firefox ?

If I used Firefox, will the exact XP Firefox be shown complete with bookmarks bar, all bookmarks and passwords ?

Edited by Beaker77, 12 June 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

I am going to advise you head over to the BC linux forum. Give your thread a title like "Thinking of moving from XP to linux". You can also post the reference link for this thread if you like. 

It would help the linux experts there to now what the make and model of the computer is and how much ram you have. It would also help them if you published a Speccy Report

The linux distro you decide on does not have to be installed. It will run from the CD/DVD drive and RAM or if the computer can boot from a USB flash drive linux can run from it and not touch the hard drive. But, they will run faster when installed to and run from the hard drive.

Yes, Chrome and Firefox can be run on linux and your bookmarks can be transferred. You may need to input your passwords again but the addon I linked to should also run in linux. This can be answered by the BC linux forum.

Just to familiarize yourself with the linux distros I have linked to a Puppy OS and Mint OS. Good Luck.

Puppy Linux

Mint

#12 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:40 AM

my PF USAGE was going way to high on mine

every time it went past 1.0 gig lol it started to lock up

from out of no where it started doing this, every time i started it

i only had a few seconds to try things to fix it

eventually i just did a "refresh" under the troubleshoooting information.

its now under 800mb almost all the time, usually 600s

runs fine now

#13 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:38 AM

my PF USAGE was going way to high on mine

every time it went past 1.0 gig lol it started to lock up

from out of no where it started doing this, every time i started it

i only had a few seconds to try things to fix it

eventually i just did a "refresh" under the troubleshoooting information.

its now under 800mb almost all the time, usually 600s

runs fine now

Yes, but refreshing deletes all extensions and plug-ins My extensions are very important. in the daily operation of Firefox. To be without them  would be like having an empty shop.

#14 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

i understand

now im having issues with noscript, this newer updated version

seems more complicated than before

u do keep history and bookmarks

i use to use xmarks to save and access bookmarks

after major pc crashes

#15 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

I have solved the not responding problem by using Opera as my default browser. Problem now gone away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users