Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not using all memory

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Radigan

Radigan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

Hello, This is my first post so please let me know if I am missing anything that will help diagnose this. I will try to be as detailed as possible.

Initial symptoms:

I first noticed that something was up when I checked the resource monitor and the RAM usage would not raise above 22%. I have 16G (2x8G) which comes to about 3G of RAM being used. After this value the resource monitor shows Hard Faults begin to appear.

Since seeing this I have run MemoryTest83 with the 2x8G sticks and with 2x4G known good borrowed from a friend. the tests passed each time that I was running them with only 1 processor. when running these tests with option All processors (2 cores) enabled it takes errors.

I have run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. Running this on the i5 that I have, the tests pass.

I have had the suggestion that it could be the mainboard. I am looking for any suggestions, and ways to verify it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:10 AM

If your computer uses RAM to 100%, then there is something very wrong. But how much it uses depends a lot on what you're doing at that moment and how much RAM is installed at all.
Also, if You have two or more cores processor, they work always differently. It is absolutely normal.

#3 Radigan

Radigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:52 AM

Hi Zainmax, thank you. the memory count will not exceed that 3G value and runs at it steadily. I try to open many programs simultaneously and the reported used value does not increase. My computer has memory issues and crashes when I do this as well. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

Please take a screen shot of the Task Manager's Resource Monitor and post it in you topic.

I've posted instruction for doing a screen shot and how to post the image as an attachment below just in case you can use them.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Radigan

Radigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Thank you for looking into this Bleeping Old Fart,

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OFUM5sxphJocv5SC3203R5E

This is a Laptop by the way. I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.

PSU: Generic "Replacement AC Adapter"

Input: 100-200V ~1.5A 50/60Hz

Output: 20V(DC)4.5A

#6 Radigan

Radigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

Please take a screen shot of the Task Manager's Resource Monitor and post it in you topic.

I've posted instruction for doing a screen shot and how to post the image as an attachment below just in case you can use them.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Thank you for looking into this Bleeping Old Fart,

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OFUM5sxphJocv5SC3203R5E

This is a Laptop by the way. I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.

PSU: Generic "Replacement AC Adapter"

Input: 100-200V ~1.5A 50/60Hz

Output: 20V(DC)4.5A

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

What about the screenshot?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Radigan

Radigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

What about the screenshot?

That was the link, when I followed your instructions I got a link. If that doesn't work for you I will take a new screenshot when I get home.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I asked you to do two things.  What you did was the second item requested, the Speccy Snapshot.  If you go back to post #4 you will see that the first sentence is the following.

If you need instructions to do this, I've posted those below.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

#10 Radigan

Radigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Apologies dc3, I missed that part. I will get that to you soon.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

No problems. :thumbup2:

#12 Radigan

Radigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

DC3,  thaank you for your patience I will get that screenshot soon, I was just bust yesterday.

#13 Radigan

Radigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Screenshots as requested. 

Attached File  Resource monitor - Overview.png   55.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Resource monitor - Memory.png   55.18KB   0 downloads

#14 thomsonriver

thomsonriver

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

I have same doubt relating to pc not utilizing all memory. Thankfully, from the above answers, I got my doubt cleared.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm not dc3, and I'm not trying to steal this thread, either, but those screen shots look perfectly normal to me.

You've got 12 GB (13054 MB) of total memory of which the system is currently using 2375 MB, giving you lots of breathing room in RAM.  

My laptop has 8 GB of RAM installed but I seldom go above using 75-85% of that.  You always want some breathing room in RAM.  If you're actually using 100% of what you've got installed on a routine basis your machine would be slowed to a crawl.   Similarly, you also need to have some empty space on your hard drive where the Windows OS is installed so that it can have swap space.  If you're at anything above 85-90% capacity on most hard drives you'll start seeing Windows object by slowing down significantly.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users