Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How in the world do I use OpenStego

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

I'm trying to use the application but i can't even get it installed. Do I need a separate program to be able to run it since there isn't an application file in any of the files I've downloaded or any way to install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Where did you download the application from? Everything I'm seeing is that it is a straightforward application

https://www.openstego.com

Using OpenStego is pretty straightforward. There are two modes of operation - data hiding and watermarking.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

To be honest I'm probably overthinking it all. 

I downloaded it from the page they give: https://github.com/syvaidya/openstego/releases 

I'm just unsure of how to get to said GUI

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

I looked at the readme file in the zipped version and extracted the same file from the exe version. It seems you need java in order to run the GUI version. Download the zipped version and open the readme file in Notepad.

#5 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

So at this point I've downloaded all the files you see on that page, and installed the .exe program as well as java and set up a path for it like said on the java page. 

in the readme that comes with the program it gives this " java -jar <path>\openstego.jar " for the GUI.

I insert the path to openstego.jar and get:

" java -jar <C:\Users\jason_000\Downloads\openstego-openstego-0.7.1\openstego-openstego-0.7.1\lib\openstego.jar>\openstego.jar "

When I input this into CMD (admin) I get: " Error: -jar requires jar file specification " 

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by superking75, 11 June 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

In the zipped version there is a .bat file. Do you have that with the exe version? If so double click it. Also what happens if you simply double click the jar file?

#7 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

In the zipped version there is a .bat file. Do you have that with the exe version? If so double click it. Also what happens if you simply double click the jar file?

The exe version downloads as a single file. An application called 'setup-openstego-0.7.1'

When i click on the jar file i get notepad opening with  basicly this  "°2–6ìpÎÊgãÆ •Ma+c¤s¶‘´Â™T>i¦Ã‰q;‘Oê‰pd릈îpìe•™6í5„Þæ‹Öwéá¼" filling pages and pages.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

I don't have java installed. I will have to get back with you on this. I'll install it on an old XP computer I have and see if I can get it to run.

#9 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

Okay, thank you.

My apologies for not mentioning this before: I'm currently running windows 10

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

I downloaded and installed Java. I downloaded the zip version of the program and unzipped the file to the desktop. I browsed to the jar file in the lib folder and double clicked it. This opened the GUI version of the program. After installing Java the jar file had a Java icon shown.

I will check out the exe file now and see if that works. 

Edit: Installed the exe version. Went to programs > openstego > run openstego. This opened the GUI version of openstego. I am not sure what your issue is unless the jar file is still not associated with java.

Edit Edit: I missed your post mentioning Windows 10 as your OS. I can't say why Windows 10 would have this problem, sorry. I would have to assume this would also work on my Windows 7 and 8 computers but I don't want to install java on them. Just a matter of principle for me.

Did you download the 64bit version of Java? If you used the online installer that may be the problem. Use the offline installer to install the 32bit version.

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2017 - 04:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users