Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Toshiba notebook refused to boot from USB

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

I'm trying to install a new OS into the notebook (Toshiba NB505-508GN). It doesn't help that I forgot the password to log in. (I tried booting in Safe Mode, it doesn't do that either. The only 2 modes are "Fast" and "Normal." It is set for Normal.)

I formatted a USB with a reset software, Ophrac or something. The thumb drive, even though it showed up in the port, and I chose it, then saved and exited, at boot-up it went right into the normal sequence of booting.

Same exact thing with the installed OS thumb drive. I tried all 3 ports, it made no difference. It's like having XP cemented into it, it's crazy.

Any ideas what else I can try, or what I might be doing wrong?

Could all 3 ports be malfunctioning? Do they need drivers installed? That's too bad because I can't get into it the machine to do that.

========

Also, in the Set-up I was able to create new passwords, for User, Superuser, and HDD/SDD. None of these passwords I created have any bearing on my login which is still a mystery. I tried all 3 passwords, none of them worked.

So, just to recap, the farthest I ever got in terms of changing anything is the Set-up menu. I am not really familiar with any of this and tried to figure it out the best I could, including that FDD is connected somehow to USB, but I am truly stumped now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Boot normally into Windows.

At the Welcome screen, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and select Log On to Windows.

Enter Administrator for the User Name and leave the Password blank.

Once you're logged in as Administrator, you can reset passwords for any user on the system.

Ophrac is a password cracker...doesn't reset anything.

Edited by jwoods301, 11 June 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#3 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

At the Welcome screen there is the login box that requires my password. Anything I do there, incl. CTR-ALT-DELETE, will give the same response: either nothing, or "the username or password is incorrect."

Ophrac is a pw cracker, fine, sorry for my mistake. That doesn't address the fact that the USB is unresponsive in every port.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

Regarding not booting from the USB drive...the system needs to know which drive you want to boot from.

If there isn't a function key to get into a Boot Menu, you would need to go into the BIOS and change the USB to be the first drive it looks for.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

You may need to do CTRL-ALT-DELETE twice to get the option.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

On a Toshiba the boot menu is usually F12 but it can be different. How did you create the bootable USB? Are you trying to reinstall XP? The computer has no optical drive, correct?

http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?docId=98080545

Found this on a Spanish forum for Ubuntu.

Using Google Translate. I am not sure why a USB flash drive would not work though. 

1- Is correct FDD, corresponds to the floppy disk 
2- The Toshiba NB505 netbook does not have the option to boot from a USB stick, but can only do it from the SD memory. For this you have to load into the SD something that makes it bootable (in my case Ubuntu 11.04 via Universal-USB-Installer), connect it and turn on the PC. Now when entering the boot menu (F12) there are three options (one more than before) that are: HDD, LAN and USB. Selecting the USB option loads from the SD memory.

With this is solved the problem posed 
Greetings

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#7 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hello - this is what I wrote:

The thumb drive, even though it showed up in the port, and I chose it, then saved and exited, at boot-up it went right into the normal sequence of booting

I may not be using the correct vocabulary but in translation, in Setup menu I chose the USB to boot first. I saved, exited, rebooted. It booted normally, ignoring the USB.

jwoods - You should reexamine your adorable trust in CNTR-ALT-DELETE. This works once you are inside the system, not when you are locked out. You can hit that combo until you're blue in the face, it does nothing. I don't think you really know the page that I am facing. The welcome screen goes right into the login page. That's where it stops. And frankly, if you could go around a login password by doing the control alt delete thing - that would really be scandalously idiotic. What kind of security would that be?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

What did you use to create the bootable USB flash drive? In my edited post regarding USB, it seems a person stated this computer will not boot from  a USB stick but only from a SD card. I can't confirm that though.

#9 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

John, I created the USB with Rufus, to install a Linux OS.

Thank you for looking this up in a Spanish forum! I read through the notebook's manual yesterday, didn't see that it can't boot from USB.

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

"jwoods - You should reexamine your adorable trust in CNTR-ALT-DELETE. This works once you are inside the system, not when you are locked out. You can hit that combo until you're blue in the face, it does nothing. I don't think you really know the page that I am facing. The welcome screen goes right into the login page. That's where it stops. And frankly, if you could go around a login password by doing the control alt delete thing - that would really be scandalously idiotic. What kind of security would that be?"

No need to get snotty.

When pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE, press and keep your finger on the CTRL-ALT key. Then while still holding down the two "first" keys, press the DELETE key and release all the keys. Repeat a second time.

Using Windows XP period is a huge security risk.

Edited by jwoods301, 11 June 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#11 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

John, I created the USB with Rufus, to install a Linux OS.

Thank you for looking this up in a Spanish forum! I read through the notebook's manual yesterday, didn't see that it can't boot from USB.

#12 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

@jwoods - I think nothing short of a video will convince you that this cheap trick doesn't work. (And even then - alternative facts, anyone?)

So I'll just state it again: IT DOESN'T WORK.

And a good thing too. If you really think it's snotty to point out it would be a freaking outrage if a password to gain access to a laptop could be circumvented by this mickey mouse trick - well, so be it.

All I can say is, you must value security a lot less than I do.

Bill Gates would be hung up by his nuts if people could get into computers in that fashion.

Grow up.

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

I can see that your security conscious using Windows XP.

Not surprised it didn't work for you...seems things not working is a pattern for you.

Snotty (and immature) refers to your attitude.

Here's one article that describes the bypass key sequence...

https://techjourney.net/login-to-windows-xp-with-no-password-administrator-account-backdoor-trick/

There are others.

Try doing a little research.

#14 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Your personal attacks are getting tiresome. Note that I didn't do that to you, I was indignant about the method you proposed, and oh by the way, it didn't work.

Don't feel obligated to help. There is no need to come back if it means cheap personal jabs. Try to get your immature thrills elsewhere.

And I am doing plenty of research. If YOU did you would have found that there are a slew of people with the exact same problem of not being able to boot via usb.

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

If the bypass key sequence didn't work for you...fine. Move on. It does work for others. Documented proof. Your welcome.

But you felt the need to express your "outrage" at me that I suggested something that was intentionally put in by Microsoft. Bill Gates hasn't been the CEO of Microsoft for a number of years, BTW.

Now you're whining about personal attacks.

If you would have taken 5 minutes to read the manual for your computer, you would have found that out yourself.

It's not up to anyone here to tell you how your computer works, or do your research for you.

And if you are that security conscious, dump Windows XP and move on to another OS that is more secure.

I'm out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users