Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install updates or remove programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicnic344

nicnic344

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hi guys, 

I have an old work computer that was never reformatted when I finished my employment there and I am having some issues with installing windows updates and removing programs from the computer. 

Installing Updates - 

When I check for updates it comes up with the error message - 

"Windows could not search for new updates. Errors found: Code 8024402C"

I have been trying to fix this issue myself but have had no luck. The main fix online that I can see is to temporarily disable the security software but I am unable to do this either. When I click on "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" it comes up with the message - 

"The snap-in below, referenced in this document, has been restricted by policy. Contact your administrator for details. Windows Firewall with Advanced Security."

So I'm completely lost as to where to start with this issue as it seems I am restricted to doing any of the fixes I have found online. 

Uninstalling Programs - 

There is no add/remove icon in the control panel. In fact, there looks like there are a number of icons that are missing... I'm guessing this is due to it being an old work computer as well. Is there any fix to this? I have located the appwiz.cpl icon in the Windows system 32 folder but when I click on it nothing happens. 

Again any help would be much appreciated! I figure I could always reformat the laptop but I don't have any CD's that came with it and wanted to see if there was any other solution. 

OS - Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
System Manufacturer - Toshiba

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by nicnic344, 11 June 2017 - 09:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

As it was a work computer, it is quite possible that Group Policy settings have restricted what you can and cannot do on it. The error code you are getting when attempting to install updates seems to suggest that -- that error code can occur when the computer is attempting to contact a WSUS server and can't.

Is your user account an administrator on that computer? This thread contains some suggestions on how to address the update issue, provided your user account has admin privileges (scroll down to the bottom): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-could-not-search-for-new-updates-error/5a3228df-daf5-4197-81a7-8500be89d905

If you find you're being restricted from performing certain tasks, the best option may be to just wipe the drive and put a new Windows 7 install on it.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

If you find you're being restricted from performing certain tasks, the best option may be to just wipe the drive and put a new Windows 7 install on it.

+1 :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 nicnic344

nicnic344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users