Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a OneDrive problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

I initially registered it with a GMX account but this has lapsed so any sign in fails. I've tried to reset the PW using my gmail acct. and got the code for the change but the sign in still does not work it still looks for GMX I suppose.

It seems I will have to register again newly so does that mean all my old OneDrive files are forever lost?

If not how can I retrieve them? any advise please. Would re registering with GMX help? Maybe not as it will say that the PW is or has been used before!

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2017 - 09:05 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Very interesting, OneDrive is Microsoft service and to login is needed to use Microsoft account data, but not GMX data.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Mmm.. It's a long time since I used it so unclear of its setup. When registering with OneDrive doesn't it ask for an email address?  In my list of PWs  against OneDrive I have GMX listed so when asked for the email I thought I used to enter the GMX one. This was not accepted. Trying to change the PW did not work as presumably I had to use another email address.

If I click OneDrive in 'Apps' it opens OK ( no logging in) and shows 15 files but the E drive file is not there altho OneDrive is  in the file name viz.

file:///C:/Users/Dennis/OneDrive/Documents/Index%20of%20E__.html

In this OneDrive there is Documents but opening this shows no E file.

That file is in This PC Documents and supposedly in OneDrive Documents but it isn't.

When opening oneDrive from somewhere else (can't remember where from) it says that as it contains sensitive info I need to login, with email address, which is where it failed.  So it appears that there are two OneDrives! Can this be so?

Very confusing i'm afraid.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

I forgot (stupidly) to make clear that when I am asked to login for OneDrive the GMX email address is already in that field and just asks for the PW - this is why I am stuck with the GMX glitch

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

I use OneDrive all the time and I never sign in. Also, the initial set-up of OneDrive definitely requires a Microsoft account, i.e. an msn.com address or an outlook.com address.

I hope that clue helps you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

I initially registered it with a GMX account but this has lapsed so any sign in fails. I've tried to reset the PW using my gmail acct. and got the code for the change but the sign in still does not work it still looks for GMX I suppose.

It seems I will have to register again newly so does that mean all my old OneDrive files are forever lost?

If not how can I retrieve them? any advise please. Would re registering with GMX help? Maybe not as it will say that the PW is or has been used before!

I just set up a new installation of Windows 10 last night in a VirtualBox to simulate your problem. Even if you use a deleted mail account, OneDrive would have no clue it was deleted since it is just an app. So I tried a few other tasks with OneDrive using a deleted mail account and everything worked fine.

I do not know what a PW is but I hope that you can figure this out, we are all here to help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

I Googled "computer pw" and it comes up with password. Is that what you were referring to? You do not need a password to use OneDrive, it is set up as a simple storage device. I have several different cloud storage devices that are set up in my storage list of my computer and they act just like a local drive, no password required.

You can go into settings and check your account details and change them if you want.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

I forgot (stupidly) to make clear that when I am asked to login for OneDrive the GMX email address is already in that field and just asks for the PW - this is why I am stuck with the GMX glitch

This seems so odd. At what point are you asked to log into OneDrive? You should never have to log in to One Drive unless your Windows 10 installation is not activated.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

Rocky Bennett - thanks you for all your posts - I've been away for some days so didn't see the updates.

You said - "Even if you use a deleted mail account, OneDrive would have no clue it was deleted since it is just an app."  Yes I realised that which stymied me as it connected me with GMX to which I have no connection precluding me from resetting my PW (yes for password).

That no one should need a PW for OneDrive is rather frustrating as it asks for one!

Could you please comment on my paras. 2-5 in my post #3 re the 'two' OneDrives particularly the E in the file name but not in the OneDrive that I can open.

I'll try to get that OneDrive login page and post the image.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

When you look at your documents file in your OneDrive is there a little green check mark, kind of like a teacher's check mark when they check off something? If there is no green check mark through the One Drive emblem and through each of your folders, then you are indeed having an activation issue.

Giving your situation some additional thought, if you are indeed having an activation issue then Microsoft should be able to help you real quick on the phone. I hope that you sort this situation out, but please keep us posted.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

No check marks BUT - I now see on the OneDrive folder which opens w/o PW  and no E file is 'titled' Win 7! So this is a Onedrive I used when I was using Win 7 before the Win 10 update - didn't sync?  The dates of the shown files are up to Dec 2016.

I googled OneDrive and got to a new sign in. Using my current email address (not GMX) which it showed it didn't recognise any PW (Try it yourself and see the sign in page which says -"Enter the PW for - and gives the email address-" . I tried to show a screenshot, from Dropbox but I can't find an attachment facility here even in More Options -  wasn't there one?

I  went to reset it. It needed to send a code to my phone but couldn't recognise the country code for the UK 0044!!! So had to abandon that. Usually I put in my landline no. and I get an immediate call with a code but it doesn't recognise landline nos. Is that a change I wonder?

So perhaps I made a mistake in opening a new OneDrive account when I updated to Win 10. But as you have said there was no need to!  I fear it's a lost cause.

Edited by zzzz, 17 June 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Well good luck. I do not use OneDrive as an app, I use OneDrive as a file that I access through Windows File Explorer. No password required, it is just one click away.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/df1e73b4-7472-40ca-9d53-24a284994ab3/see-your-onedrive-files-in-file-explorer

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Yes I open the 'old' OneDrive with File Explorer.

Another surprise - Opening another OneDrive sign in it gave another of my email addresses, an aol one. I made a guess at the PW and lo and behold it opened MS's Mail showing  all my gmail emails. odd or what?

So that OneDrive sign-in is just a MS sign in as that PW I used I realised is the same I use for the MS account altho but with gmail.

I've been making life difficult for myself  obviously. Oh thanks for that link to also open ODr. from the tray icon.

OK back to real life, maybe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users