Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone recommend a lap top that might satisfy me?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goodluckman65

goodluckman65

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

I live in Thailand the land of pirated software and bootlegged movies. I have a 5  year old Asus  laptop which I still love. 13.3 screen solid metal case ,8GB ram ,i5 2nd generation, even an  Nvida card all for  $550  not too heavy to travel with

But time to buy a new one if possible. Here in Thailand they sell low to mid range computers.

They are all mostly plastic which I cannot go with.  I wanted a 3.3 or 14 inch but all of the thin ones have 4 to 8 gigs and I wanted 16gigs for what I plan to do.CAMTASIA, Power Point, Adobe elements 15, Adobe Premier Pro when I get proficient.  All of these programs I would do at home So I looked  at the HP Sectra and another Asus but think I might wait for the new Zenbook 3 Deluxe when it comes out.  I have come to the conclusion that maybe I need a desk top and a light lap top when traveling?

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions

Goodluckman65

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Camtasia, Power Point and Adobe Elements are pussycats compared with Premier Pro. They can be run on a laptop with medium resources. When you talk Premier Pro, you are referring to video editing and there is no program written that will put a demand on a computer like a pro video editor. Absolutely minimum required is 16gig of fast RAM (preferably 32 gig), a fast CPU such as AMD Ryzen and especially a powerful video card with at least 8gig of RAM on the card. Rarely will integrated video be satisfactory when reviewing test playback at 1080p, triple-especially if you are rendering a project, because the video card does the heavy lifting, not the CPU, and you can count on multiple hours of rendering time if you don't have deep resources and possibly unacceptable results. This mean a desktop computer if you are really serious about this. I strongly suggest that you build one yourself, you will get more bang for the buck.  If you don't want to do that, then check Amazon or Newegg for their top-line gaming computers. Also, be prepared for a learning curve with Premier; this is graphics at it's highest level so be patient. If Premier Pro is your target, I suggest that you do some serious researching on that topic. HERE is a link to the foremost video forum on the internet. If you have questions on video editing this is the place to ask them. A lot of pros in the industry hang out here, so if you are polite and respectful they will be happy to help you.

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 June 2017 - 03:57 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#3 goodluckman65

goodluckman65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

I thank you so much for your post very helpful.

Were you able to see the other post which  gave a parts list?

If so do you agree with their recommendation?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

I don't see any parts list; what other post?  You can post a link to it in this thread.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

OP has open malware topic in Am I Infected forum, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648440/introducing-myself-with-a-question/#entry4253116 .

Also has closed topic at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649008/can-someone-clarify-my-first-build-please/ .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2017 - 07:40 AM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

Thanks, Hamluis,

Goodluckman65: Ok, I see your thread. 

Remember that I am considering the Premier Pro video editing software you want to get in to, the other three programs can run on a less powerful computer. I have not gone into detail investigating all the components, I am currently in the middle of an extensive graphics project that I have a deadline to meet.

Both Planemaster and DrillingMachine have good systems. Of the two, I suggest Planemaster's setup because he specs a more powerful video card, and I have had excellent results with EVGA cards. Remember, video editing requires a really good video card. I have tried in the past to do video editing with a cheap card, including using integrated video on the motherboard, and it was a miserable experience, so pay attention to the card.

> I like the motherboard he suggested; it has plenty of USB3 slots. USB2 is on its way out, so stick with USB3 peripherals.

Other suggestions:

> I think you mentioned that you have a couple of external SATA drives already; If so, I suggest that you use these for saving your data and projects.

> An even better suggestion to the above: If you can afford it, I suggest getting a 500 gig SSD drive and installing your main programs, such as Premier Pro directly on it.

Then get this external docking station and a couple of large SATA hard drives; make sure all your hard drives are SATA3 and the connecting cables are USB3 cables. Now you can save all your work as you go to the large SATA drives in the docking station. It will be fast because all components involved are SATA/USB3. You will save a ton of room on your main SSD drive. Another big plus: after you are done for the day, turn off power on the docking station (and disconnect it from the computer if you are really concerned) and your data is auto-backed up and safe. Even if there is a power surge, lightning strike, virus, whatever, your data is safe. After you have spent 50 hours on a project and suddenly there is a power failure and your Windows SSD corrupts, your data is still safe.

want to build something that I can grow into

If I understand you correctly, you are speaking of upgrading in the future. Well, it's a nice idea, but in reality technology is growing and changing so fast that simple upgrading is almost an unreality now. In 3 years, most likely the parts that will be made will not work on your computer, nor will your motherboard even have the required slots and sockets for upgrading to new technology. So....buy powerful now in order to keep it as long as possible.

> Another suggestion: Backup, Backup, Backup. When you get Windows10 installed, back it up in case of crash, corruption or virus damage. Since your SSD has Windows, just reimage and in a few minutes you are back up and running again. You can use your docking station for a drive dedicated to backups entirely.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 June 2017 - 08:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users