Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone clarify my first build Please?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 goodluckman65

goodluckman65

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:49 AM

It’s my first build and I need some  help

After watching 20 you tube videos with people saying  “build a PC for $400 to $3,000 I just got more confused and not sure what to buy.

Here is what I do: Camtasia, Power Point, Adobe Elements 15 (hope to graduate to Adobe Premier Pro at some point)

So I would say my skill level  is novice but want to build something that I can grow into without going overboard on money right now.

I do understand what parts are needed but not sure what brands to buy.

My budget is about $1,000 give or take a couple hundred.

Can I  get the same performance with not so heavily marketed  brands…I hate paying for advertising and marketing.

So any help is most welcomed.

Goodluckman65

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2017 - 01:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:09 AM

$1000 dollars is perfect for what you need. I'll whip you up a build but we need a bit more information:

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Will you be overclocking?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

Do you have an older computer you are upgrading from? If so, could you provide me as many parts as possible in https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ ?

If you don't mind, we'll be using that PCPartPicker to find the best prices as ensure compatibility of the system.

Edited by Planemaster2, 11 June 2017 - 05:10 AM.

#3 goodluckman65

goodluckman65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:53 AM

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

NO I do not play games

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Not Really  

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

I have 2 Seagate external HD both 4TB that  is where I store all my data about 1.40TB right now

Will you be overclocking?

I do not know  how...why would I want to do that?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Would be sent to my friend in NY or MA and then shipped to me here  in Thailand

How many monitors are you planning to use?

I have a  24or 27 inch monitor might buy another when I get good at video editing

I do not understand what you are asking

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I have a 5 year old Asus  13.3 lap top i5 2nd generation model U31SD and I love it.  Has 8gis of DDR3 ram, windows 7, Nvida card

Sometimes the words go into the wrong sentence, the "D" key often doesn't work until I go back and really hit it hard

Sco I thought that I might need a more powerful and faster computer.  I love this so much I thought of putting in a SSD card but was not sure what size and if it makes sense if I am buying new.

Do you have an older computer you are upgrading from? If so, could you provide me as many parts as possible

System Manufacturer      ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

System Model U31SD

System Type   x64-based PC

Processor  Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:09 AM

Like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WDYTgL

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

I do not understand what you are asking

Do you need a copy of Windows 10?

Do you need a mouse, keyboard and monitor?

If you do need those things, here's a build that suits it:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($195.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($87.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($118.65 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($48.42 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($104.88 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus - VC239H 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1052.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-12 07:37 EDT-0400

Some part explanations:

• CPU: An R5 1600 has 6 cores with Simultaneous Multi-threading. An AMD equivalent to Intels' Hyper-threading. In short, it works like a 12 core processor which completely destroys any i5 for use in the tasks you are looking to do.

• Motherboard: A well reviewed ATX motherboard. You do have the option to overclock your CPU as well if you want to give it a bit of a kick but that's entirely optional. Overclocking is increasing the CPU's clock rate which increases heat but increases power. The stock cooler with AMD's Ryzen chips are pretty good so you can certainly get a moderate overclock. However, I must stress that if you don't feel confident doing it then don't.

• RAM: A cheap set of 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM. 16GB is generally enough although you can upgrade up to 32GB by filling the last two RAM slots up if you wish.

• SSD: Credit to Drillingmachine for suggesting this a while back, but we have a very nice M.2. SSD's which are generally faster at opening large programs such as Premiere Pro and Photoshop than their SATA 3 Counterparts. It's also MLC for better reliability over the more mainstream TLC drives.

• HDD: A 2TB should be enough although you can easily swap it out and buy the 3TB version if you wish https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j28H99/seagate-barracuda-3tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm008

• GPU: We'll take advantage of the GPU Acceleration in some of your programs. The 1050 Ti isn't a high end one but is more than sufficient for what you want to do. It's just a good starter card that should last you quite a while.

• Case: A simple case that will fit all your components with decent cable management. If you are looking for something smaller, here is a parts list for a Micro ATX build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JZBbHN

• PSU: A well reviewed unit that appears to be on sale at Newegg. I wouldn't go any cheaper than this unit as you start to get into bad PSU territory. If you are want to spend more money for a very high end and reliable unit which will last you quite a while, I'd fully recommend this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550 If you can spend the extra money for it, go for it as the PSU determines whether your PC is slowly destroyed by the low voltage regulation or not.

• Full version of Windows 10

• Monitor: A decent IPS monitor at 1080p. It produces colours very accurately and has great viewing angles which make it perfect for your use.

• Keyboard and Mouse: Just a cheap inexpensive set. If you are looking for mechanical keyboards, this one looks alright https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q3FXsY/turtle-beach-keyboard-tbs481001 although I'm not sure if you have a preference with backlighting or not.

If you have any questions or don't need to have a Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/OS included in the list, please say.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

Topic closed, OP reposted at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649009/can-anyone-recommend-a-lap-top-that-might-satisfy-me/#entry4258662 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2017 - 07:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users