Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

[SSD performance] Dell XPS 13 vs Lenovo X1 Carbon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leftismer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:04 AM

Hello, I'm planning to buy one of those laptops (XPS 13 9360 256GB and X1 Carbon 2017 256GB) and I've found out, that the performance of SSDs is very different on these devices:

Sequential Read: 1233 MB/s

Sequential Write: 732.6 MB/s

512K Read: 1036 MB/s

512K Write: 439.9 MB/s

4K Read: 35.55 MB/s

4K Write: 130 MB/s

4K QD32 Read: 536.9 MB/s

4K QD32 Write: 218.3 MB/s

Sequential Read: 1827 MB/s

Sequential Write: 1383 MB/s

512K Read: 814 MB/s

512K Write: 1098 MB/s

4K Read: 60.97 MB/s

4K Write: 172.2 MB/s

4K QD32 Read: 601.2 MB/s

4K QD32 Write: 495.6 MB/s

So my question is: how much is the difference perceptible in real life usage? And is it a good deal to pay 33% more for the Lenovo? I don't mind any other features, just SSD performance. The laptop is gonna be used mainly for programming and some very light image editing (graphics for games).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

I would doubt it, I mean it doesn't look like the lenovo is that much better plus if you really wanted to you can always change the drive on the dell down the road once SSD prices start to drop again.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

#3 leftismer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:49 AM

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:13 AM

I've worked with a lot of Lenovos and I have to say they are VERY reliable.  I still hate them.  Wouldn't have one if someone gave it to me.  I'd sell it to someone I didn't like and spend the money on something else.  Other people swear by them. I think those people smell like dookie.

I just think they are gimmicky.  You've heard of "Security Theater"?  Well Lenovos are "Functionality Theater".  Every stupid thing that you are incapable of imagining because you'd never use that stupid functionality in a million years, has already been thought of by the fine people at Lenovo.  Every stupid, bloated and useless idea has been given it's own special software, with it's own special GUI, the form of which bears no resemblance to anything else in the Lenovo so of course it has it's own special learning curve, and it's own special "updater" and it's own special "customer service experience enhancement service" and a lot of Windows that pop-up in the middle of everything, asking you inane questions like "Would you like to ..." and the "NO" button is always in 8 point font while the "Yes, I'd LOVE TO" button covers half the screen.

Did I mention I hate Lenovos?  One client's Lenovo had THREE wireless connection managers installed, all running at the same time.  One of them gave you a little map with a bunch of circles on it and it named all the wireless devices and how close they were to the Lenovo so that you could see where Person "A" was and Person "B", etc... like one big happy wireless Leave it to Beaver family sitting down to eat a big-old pot roast at the dinner table.

Like, do you REALLY care to know how close other wireless devices are in your wireless network?  And how many minutes are you willing to wait until that Lenovo does all it's calculations and figuring?  It usually took me a day to get rid of all the bloat from those Lenovos.  The ONLY thing I liked about them was the thumbprint recognition.  They had a thumbprint scanner and you'd swipe your thumb and the screen saver would unlock and you could get right to work. No username, no password, no windows screen.  Just "swipe", and rock & roll.  Screens were teeny tiny.  But you could swivel them 180 degrees and lay them back down and make them into a tablet, if you liked to use the stylus, which needed adjustment sometimes.  And those hinges BROKE and they were impossible to repair.  You were into the very guts of the thing in order to replace that swivel hinge, almost having to desolder the socket from the motherboard in order to get that hinge off to be replaced.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 15 June 2017 - 03:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users