Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash and unable to access bios

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 atxy89

atxy89

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

Hi,

My desktop suddenly crashed to a black screen. When i reboot it, i noticed that the usual bios screen has been changed.

It now says:

Press <CTRL+P> to Enter MBEX setup menu.

Press <DEL> or <ESC> to enter setup.

I notice that if i press F12 to enter the boot menu, it simply says "entering boot menu..." and hangs there.

There is also some flickering and discoloration on the text and background of the screens.

If i let it continue to boot normally, it simply launches into a black screen after the windows logo.

Can i get some insight into what has gone wrong? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:51 AM

What make and model of computer?

Any errors/error messages before the crash?

Any changes made to the computer before the crash?

#3 atxy89

atxy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

Gigabyte H170 motherboard

i7-6700k CPU

AMD R7 290X GPU

No errors before the crash. The screen just went red on one monitor and white on another. I updated the AMD GPU drivers a few days ago but it was still working fine after.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:02 AM

Gigabyte H170 motherboard

i7-6700k CPU

AMD R7 290X GPU

No errors before the crash. The screen just went red on one monitor and white on another. I updated the AMD GPU drivers a few days ago but it was still working fine after.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

#5 atxy89

atxy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:16 AM

I managed to boot in safe mode previously. But my keyboard and mouse were not working in safe mode just now.

Seems like i cannot even enter setup to boot in safe mode now. It says "entering setup..." and hangs there

#6 atxy89

atxy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:20 AM

Ok i managed to boot in safe mode again. But there is not response from my mouse and keyboard. I suppose this means that my mobo and hard drive are ok at least?

#7 atxy89

atxy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:23 AM

ok i managed to use a mouse/keyboard by plugging in a spare mouse/keyboard

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:24 AM

I managed to boot in safe mode previously. But my keyboard and mouse were not working in safe mode just now.

Seems like i cannot even enter setup to boot in safe mode now. It says "entering setup..." and hangs there

What version of Windows are you using?

#9 atxy89

atxy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:30 AM

Using windows 10. Managed to boot in safe mode with everything working. What can i do in safe mode to verify that all is ok?

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:37 AM

Go into Device Manager, uninstall (but don't delete the drivers) the Display Adapters, and reboot.

#11 atxy89

atxy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:48 AM

Ok it is the display drivers. The black screen was because it could not display anything. i disabled but also uninstalled the drivers just now. Still some graphical glitches, but i am reinstalling the drivers and hopefully it will be ok then.

Thanks for the help!

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:53 AM

You bet.

You might check some of the info on AMD Windows 10 drivers on their website before you reinstall...

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/windowsfaq.aspx

Edited by jwoods301, 11 June 2017 - 02:57 AM.

#13 atxy89

atxy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:08 AM

Everytime i reinstall the drivers, i get the black screen again. Sometimes, it even goes black when i am using the default windows driver. In addition, i am seeing vertical green strips on the screen.

Is my gpu gone?

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Possible...you might get a quicker resolution by contacting AMD Support.

Edited by jwoods301, 11 June 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:41 AM

Just my 2¢:

Do you have another graphics card to test with?  Take the current card out, then install the other card and see if the problems remain.

If you don't have one, you may want to purchase one from a shop that'll let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users