Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ookla Speedtest does not recognize Flash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

This one is really silly and I'm almost embarrassed to post it.  If this is the wrong place, perhaps someone can tell me so, or move it.

Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Professional 64 bit version 1703.  Flash is turned "on" in MS Edge (which I seldom use) and set to "ask before using" in Google Chrome, my usual browser.  When I try to run the Ookla Speedtest, it tells me it requires Flash and then immediately defaults to the Flash-less Beta version (i.e. without asking if the site can use Flash).  The Speakeasy Speed test runs without a problem but gives significantly different results.  This is obviously not a big deal (if I want to run non-Beta Ookla I can always use MS Edge) but I do wonder how come.  I know Flash is integrated into MS Edge but why, when it's "turned on" there, is it still unavailable to Google Chrome?

Just curiosity, this does not interfere with my workflow or my computer use.

Except, that is, that I'm in the middle of presenting Internet connection options to my employers, whose present setup is so slow as to be effectively useless, and would like to be sure I have the numbers right!

Thanks for enlightenment!

EDIT - note that the procedures described in Google Chrome Help did NOT fix this problem.  When I launched the Flash installer from the bottom of the screen after downloading, it gave me the option of declining 2 bundled software programs (I declined them). When on subsequent tries I launched the installer from the "downloads" folder, it offered no options but immediately tried to install the bundled software (I aborted those installations).  My current list of installed software does show the Flash version for Chrome as installed, but the Ookla site still says "Flash required" and immediately defaults to the Flash-less Beta version.  The installer deletes itself after running (even when aborted).  Restarting the computer after each install or attempted install did not help.

EDIT 2 - When I run Ookla from MS Edge, it defaults directly to the Beta without even mentioning Flash.  It also displays a banner urging me to install Google Chrome <G>.  What a farce!  How to, er, tick people off for no very recognizable reason!

Edited by saluqi, 10 June 2017 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:16 PM

Actually, speed tests that don't use Flash are more accurate.

I've used the Ookla Beta for almost a year now.

http://beta.speedtest.net/

Other "flash-less" test sites are...

SpeedOf.Me -

http://speedof.me/

TestMy -

http://testmy.net/

DSL Reports -

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Results will vary from site to site and even within a few minutes between tests on the same site.

Edited by jwoods301, 10 June 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for this.  Since Ookla seems now to default to the Beta in any case, why do they bother to mention Flash at all?  Seems that applies only to their "legacy" site.

Speed readings seem to vary from minute to minute, and quite markedly depending on the "other" site chosen to test.  So they are at best an approximate guide.  That doesn't bother me, but I have to explain it (and the practical differences between cable and satellite systems) to a non-technical agency board.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

"I have to explain it (and the practical differences between cable and satellite systems) to a non-technical agency board."

HowStuffWorks has some good resources...

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-connectivity-channel.htm

Edited by jwoods301, 11 June 2017 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users