Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VeraCrypt + WinRAR

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WL4R8

WL4R8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

My situation: I create containter in VeraCrypt encrypted by AES-Twofish-Serpent with Whirpool. I put my data in here and then I split the container using WinRAR into smaller pieces without compression (for example 2 GB containter into 4 500 Mb files). I also set password for the RAR which is different from the password I set for the container. My question is: What are advantages/disadvantages? Is it bad? Can I keep doing that? Is it more or less safe than just storing original containter? Please don't mention that this is slow and not necessary - I already know that. I just want to know if this is less safe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

Is there any reason you need to split the files with Winrar? The disadvantage to this is if any one of the split rar files becomes corrupted for any reason you would lose all your data in the container. If you do need to split the files I see no reason why you would need to give the rar file a password. The one used for the Veracrypt file should be sufficient if complicated enough.

#3 WL4R8

WL4R8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

I forgot to mention one important thing. I split my container because I need to upload that original container into cloud that has a limit for individual files.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Okay, if that is the case I would split the files without a file password and use the store option vs any kind of compression. I believe Winrar has an option to add a recovery record. I would add that option to the RAR file. As long as you have the container in two locations, one being a non-split version, you should be fine with Winrar.

#5 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Why not just make a filesystem mount system.  It is like taking squashfs and just making a mounting point for it.  Encrypting RAR files is kind of too easy.  Since you want AES strength then use sha1.
RAR files have to be put into smaller pieces usually for back up.  From my experience, they are used with PAR2 to create self repairing files.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:40 AM

Are the RAR files a backup of your VeraCrypt container, or do you delete it once you created the RAR files?

Edited by Didier Stevens, 08 July 2017 - 09:28 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users