Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove Firefox? Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 InventJoy

InventJoy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

Hi, I installed firefox. Bad idea. I keep getting "cannot go to ... page msg" or  "Firefox prevented..... "I don't want to take time to mess wi it. I just want to uninstall & go back to chrome. Went to remove programs  (Windows XP). It tells me I have to close firefox to remove it. How to close it? I have a symbol for chrome but it keeps going to firefox. I'm not a techi. Just want to use my cpu to get business done asap. Can U help me?        thx in advance

InventJoy

Edited by hamluis, 07 May 2018 - 12:14 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

You might try downloading and running the free Revo Uninstaller if you can't remove it using Windows Add/Remove Programs.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

#3 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hi InventJoy,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :)

In the upper right hand corner you should be able to click on the red X to close Firefox > Attached File  red X.PNG   4.88KB   0 downloads

Otherwise, when you click to restart the computer you should get the option to close all programs. Just close them and allow the computer to reboot. Windows will reload and no programs will be open so you should then be able to navigate to Add/Remove programs, right click and choose uninstall.

jwoods301's advice should work as well.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#4 InventJoy

InventJoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick   excellent instructions. I downloaded revouninstaller & rebooted.  I think firefox is uninstalled. So far, at least, I got here wi no error messages.

WARNING: Don't install Firefox. There's a couple of hours of my life wasted that I'll never get back!  

Now if If I can just resolve my google problems, life could resume!

InventJoy

Edited by InventJoy, 10 June 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

I have used Firefox as my main browser for years with no issues.

Sounds like something went sideways with your particular installation.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

I have used Firefox with no issue for years and install it on every computer that I service without issue. It is an excellent browser.

FireFox is the only web browser left that still supports XP. Google Chrome has long ago ended support for XP.

When you visit many pages with Chrome you will see "your browser is no longer supported" across the top. This is why.

FireFox has announced end of XP support this September

If you downloaded FireFox from any site other than mozilla.org the file may be corrupted or infected.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,404 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

I have to agree with jwoods301 and eyesee. I was introduced to Firefox back in 2009 and never went back to IE. I have installed Google Chrome I gave it a whirl, but it's just not for me. I am not accustomed to change nor do I have the time to play around, tweak it to meet my needs and familiarize myself with it. It took me forever to tweak the settings in Firefox to meet my needs.

This could be the case for you InventJoy. If you do not have the time or patience to learn something new, best to stay with what you know. :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#8 snipers

snipers

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

go  to control  panel find  programs, then select firefox   tap  uninstall  feature a few seconds later   clead uninstall.     david

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

I've used Firefox on my Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 32bit laptop for years as a browser backup, you can download from FileHippo. If you click Technical its shows

Windows 2000 up to Windows 10 no download works on Windows XP I use Firefox 50.0 that works on Windows XP. You can install it in Add/Remove Programs no problem.

Firefox is good as it imports all favorites from IE. The annoying thing is updates come out ever couple of days.

I have to use Firefox on this forum only because if I use IE11 I can copy text from a file but it won't paste. All other forums work as they should.

Edited by Keithuk, 14 May 2018 - 11:15 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

The annoying thing is updates come out ever couple of days.

That's way more than a bit of an overstatement.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Mozilla Support Says...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users