Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resetting Windows XP to factory settings, without disc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

I bought a used Dell Dimension E520 - it has the Windows XP Media Center Version. The previous owner left some things behind, and I would like a fresh start with a totally clean computer. However I don't have the disc for installation, at least I dont think so - it came with a bunch of discs but they seem to be drivers. I tried running winnt32.exe, but it said that I should boot from a cd instead since the XP version on the "CD" was older than the one installed. I just pressed continue to test if the product key worked, it didn't and said that it was invalid. Does Dimension E520 maybe come with XP Home, and the previous owners have just installed Media Center and put the sticker on top?

Any other way to do this? Restoring from previous backup won't work because the latest restorepoint was from a month ago when the owner tried erasing as much as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

Is there a recovery partition on the hard drive?

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-xp-vista/how-to-boot-into-a-recovery-partition-in-windows/

Edited by jwoods301, 10 June 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

We don't close topics on BC normally, but it would be of benefit to other members if you could give a brief description of how you solved this.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

We don't close topics on BC normally, but it would be of benefit to other members if you could give a brief description of how you solved this.

Chris Cosgrove

Wrong topic?

#5 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

No, I asked for it to be deleted as I already solved it.

So I went ahead and messaged the previous owner about the product key, he answered quickly with an older one he had on a backup at home. Then I burned winnt32.exe to a CD and booted the computer from the CD. I typed in the new product key, and everything worked nicely.

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Got it.

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2017 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users