Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random restarting. PSU?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

Hello,

Since I've had my PC, I've been getting random restarts every once in a while. They are completely random, not triggered when opening a certain program, temperatures are safe. The computer will restart but the boot up can take up to five minutes of Windows loading icon when it usually takes 20 - 30 seconds at a normal boot up.

I opened up the system, looked at the PSU and did a bit of research. It's a CiT Active 85 500W, and apparently, it isn't exactly great. So my question is, could the random restarts be caused by a low end PSU?

Basic specs are:

FX 6350
GTX 750 Ti 2GB
1TB Toshiba 32MB 7200RPM
2 x 4 GB 1600 MHz RAM

I believe more detailed specs are in my signature however.

EDIT: I've run Memtest, none of the components are overclocked, all drivers are up to date.

Edited by Planemaster2, 11 June 2017 - 05:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

Could be your PSU and the simplest way to test is to stick another in and see if the problem continues. If you haven't got a spare see if you can borrow one, your system demands are not too great.

According to the specs I found, your CPU has a maximum draw of 125W and your video card 60W. Add on 50W for everything else and you are still comfortably under 300W total, so any PSU rated at 300W and above will do for a test.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thank you for the reply Chris,

From what I've heard, the PSU can shut itself down when the voltage regulation goes out of safe boundaries which I thought might be the case with this particular unit as it is lower quality therefore, voltage regulation may be poor.

I don't have a spare PSU lying around - or at least a safe one that isn't 10 years old with terrible reviews - and I'm also not able to recreate the situation for the problem. Sometimes the PC will reboot 3 times in a week and other times, it can be a whole month. This makes borrowing and testing tricky.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

Does it blue screen, leaving a memory dump or is it purely a case of one second you're using it, next it's rebooting?

If it's at all possible, you could treat yourself to an upgrade, seeing as you know the CiT PSU is not great quality.  I've never heard of any of them being professionally reviewed on proper test equipment etc. However their low price and other questionable practices like including 1 PCIe connector on an "850w" PSU, and low 12v output compared to claimed overall output doesn't inspire confidence.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

It's just rebooting the next second. Nothing like blue screens or anything.

I will probably swap over to a CXM 450W which may or may not fix the problem. However, it is still more reliable and I'd feel more safer. I've also identified other people with CiT PSU's having their PC's shut down too:

https://www.cclonline.com/product/162162/CIT-ATV-500W/Power-Supplies/CiT-500W-Active-85-80-Bronze-Certified-PSU/PSU0743/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00TQZNWFK/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&showViewpoints=0

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-cit-active-pfc-85-eff-80plus-plus-bronze-36a-plus12v-single-rail-120mm-quiet-fan-erp-lot-60-bla

So it looks like I may have identified the source of the problem. Don't think I'll ever buy anything pre built again.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:17 AM

Instant shutdown with no opportunity for Windows to dump the memory seems consistent with failing power supply, although no guarantees. Personally I'd get peace of mind from putting in a half decent PSU though. I just don't like these generic ones which the builder has obviously gone with to save money.  At least with Dell and similar, they normally use quality OEM PSU's like Delta.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:24 AM

Yeah, I did find a much better system when choosing these computers which was better value and had a decent PSU by Superflower. Only reason we got this one is my parents thought it was more powerful as it had "Ultra" and "Extreme" in the name with bright flashing lights. Couldn't convince them otherwise as they thought Amazon was more trustworthy than any other seller so they got it.

But I can't go back to when I first got it so there's no point in dwelling on it.

NowI have the opportunity to save up cash and buy myself a PSU, I'm quite confident I'm going for the CXM 450W which is around £50. Anything other than that which you'd recommend or is it a good buy?

Edited by Planemaster2, 13 June 2017 - 01:25 AM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:29 AM

I think the CX-M series are decent for what they are. They have a good warranty too.  

The XFX XT series is also likely a reasonable choice in the same price range (they are based on Seasonic's ECO Plus series) - https://www.cclonline.com/product/205075/P1-500B-XTFR/Power-Supplies/XFX-XT-500-500W-80-Bronze-ATX-Power-Supply/PSU1262/

If you fancy a fully modular PSU, EVGA's B3 line looks worth a look (again same price range) - https://www.cclonline.com/product/232944/220-B3-0450-V3/Power-Supplies/EVGA-450-B3-450W-80-Plus-Bronze-Modular-ATX-Power-Supply/PSU1442/

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:56 AM

So B3 just bronze versions of the G3? If so, it looks like it's worth a buy over the CXM series.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

Yeah I would go with the XFX or EVGA myself over CXM as Corsair has been hit or miss as of late.

80+ bronze is still good as it would still be energy efficient just not as good as 80+ gold, but most PSU's usually use what they need nowadays as nearly any 80+ rating is good these days.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

So B3 just bronze versions of the G3? If so, it looks like it's worth a buy over the CXM series.

So I've read the B3 is a Superflower design (like the G2 and G3) so essentially yes, a bronze version of those PSU's. It's probably what I'd go for over the CXM at that price.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users