Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen message after creating Flash drive with Media Creation Tool?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hi,
I created a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive using the instructions on this site. After the download finshed, it verified and then created the Windows 10 installation media. The next screen was Your USB Flash Drive is Ready so I clicked on the Finish tab. A screen then showed briefly saying something along the lines of Cleaning Up Files...This may take several minutes. After five seconds the screen disappeared. Are you supposed to remove the USB flash drive as soon as that screen has disappeared or are you supposed to wait several minutes to see if another screen comes up to say the Clean up of files process has finished? I wasn't sure what to do? Has everybody else seen this Cleaning Up files screen?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

Normal.

#3 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

Normal.

Yes but...A screen then showed briefly saying something along the lines of Cleaning Up Files...This may take several minutes. After five seconds the screen disappeared. Are you supposed to remove the USB flash drive as soon as that screen has disappeared or are you supposed to wait several minutes to see if another screen comes up to say the Clean up of files process has finished? I wasn't sure what to do? Has everybody else seen this Cleaning Up files screen? As soon as you get the message USB flash drive is Ready and you,ve clicked on Finish is it safe to remove the USB flash drive from the PC or do you have to wait several  minutes?

Edited by sportsfan1, 10 June 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

If you don't see any activity on the USB drive, it's ready.

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

My USB flash drives don't have an LED activity light

Edited by sportsfan1, 10 June 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

By and large jwoods is right, but it is always best to unmount a USB drive correctly by using the 'Safely remove' button. this normally hides on your taskbar under the 'Show hidden icons' button. Click on this then the 'Safely remove' icon - in Win 10 it looks like a cylinder with an oval on  top of it - and wait for the answer 'Safe to remove'.

Essentially what this command does is to switch the USB drive off so that there is no risk of corruption to the files on it when you remove it.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

My USB flash drives don't have an LED activity light

Another way to tell is to open Resource Monitor, click on the Disk tab,  and see if there is activity on the disk.

#8 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

By and large jwoods is right, but it is always best to unmount a USB drive correctly by using the 'Safely remove' button. this normally hides on your taskbar under the 'Show hidden icons' button. Click on this then the 'Safely remove' icon - in Win 10 it looks like a cylinder with an oval on  top of it - and wait for the answer 'Safe to remove'.

Essentially what this command does is to switch the USB drive off so that there is no risk of corruption to the files on it when you remove it.

Chris Cosgrove

Hi Chris. Yeah I always use the Safely Remove Hardware button and I did in this case too. But I was unsure if I could Remove the drive as soon as I got the USB flash drive is ready message and I'd clicked on Finish or if I had to wait for several minutes before removing the USB flash drive?

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

If it is not safe to remove it, for whatever reason, you will get a message saying 'Drive cannot be safely removed . . .' In which case wait a minute or two then try again.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users