Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get started and do I need to do my own web site

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

I would like to set up a webpage or website in which I upload Word docs or pdfs, spreadsheets, jpgs, sound files and maybe some video - all pertaining to a certain topic. I would like to make the contents only available to those with a password, altho at some point I might want to make it available to anyone/everyone. The content would contain correspondence between lawyers and bankers, court transcripts, probate records and Trust statements - everything obtained legally but perhaps "controversial" if the owners of a website had loans w/ certain banks or certain lawyers tried to protect themselves from the truth. Such restrictions seem unlikely considering what I've heard and read gets expressed on different websites such as Twitter and others. I hope freedom of speech isn't curtailed when it comes to setting up a webpage.

I have email accounts w/ AT&T and Comcast. Both used to allow one to set up a webpage, but I don't know if they still do and I don't know what restrictions as to content might apply. Comcast has pared down their help section to mostly nothing. I have a Facebook account that so far I have nothing on it because I'm too tired to figure out how to set it up securely and I don't know what restrictions they might have.

Every time I go to read computer stuff I get interrupted having to compose and send a "legal" email or read some "legal" document and I find it hard to concentrate when I try to update my computer knowledge. Having such a webpage might give me an edge in my battle against the big, rich, powerful bad guys who have "legally" but unlawfully blocked Trust funds intended to provide for me after my father's death [no offense to honest lawyers or bankers] - plus if my house burns down everything would be archived.

I'd appreciate any info anyone with experience in setting up such a webpage can provide - can I use a freebie or would I do better to purchase a service? I have a large volume of information I'd like to make available.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

I would use Google Docs.
Sounds like it can do what you need.
Purchase a spot for 20 bucks a year and it is yours.

#3 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

It's 100 gigabytes for 20 bucks a year...
If you pay annually.
otherwise 1.99 per month

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Martel. 100 gigabytes should be more than adequate .

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Also, WordPress is oftentimes recommended as an easy & straightforward way to build a website from a chosen template if that is more what you seek.:)

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Just One Question. I'll take a look at WordPress. A template might help. In the end I may need a website - paid or free - with bells and whistles to help me make the site user friendly.

I signed up for Google Drive - there's a free 16 GB to start experimenting with. It seems similar to MegaDrive, which I use for online storage but it looks like it will be easier to upload. MegaDrive has a sync app, but I haven't figured out how it works - can't find the help info.

Google Docs turned out to be for sharing docs so several people can edit them, but it led me to Google Drive.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 ashleyjohn1189

ashleyjohn1189

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

You can use google drive, droplr and zoho for this.

#8 Dianefeejm

Dianefeejm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

You should use One drive or Google Drive booth are good

#9 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

If you want a free web host so you can add html, php, or other scripting to add further support, then Look at these Web Hosting Directories: http://www.free-webhosts.com/ and http://www.webhostingbest10.com/free-web-hosting

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users