Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't change network speed to more than 10 mbps. Cable is not connected.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ihabecancer

ihabecancer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hi my fellow mateys. I have encountered an EXTREMELY large issue after installing windows 10 on a new PC that i just got. The network only works in 10 mbps be it full or half duplex. Changing it to ANYTHING other than 10 mbps simply makes the connection nonexistent. Buying a new network adapter is not a possibility due to my mainboard not having slot for one. This PC uses 64 bit windows 10 and ASRock Z270M Pro4 mainboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hi my fellow mateys. I have encountered an EXTREMELY large issue after installing windows 10 on a new PC that i just got. The network only works in 10 mbps be it full or half duplex. Changing it to ANYTHING other than 10 mbps simply makes the connection nonexistent. Buying a new network adapter is not a possibility due to my mainboard not having slot for one. This PC uses 64 bit windows 10 and ASRock Z270M Pro4 mainboard.

How many other computers on the network. If you remove the computer with the new Win10 install, do the other computers preform normally.  Trying to prove that the only possible cause of the problem is the new Win10 Computer.

Did the network perform normally prior to the new Win10 installation?  What was the previous o/s.  How do you know that the network speed is only 10 mbps.  What are the results of an internet speed test and how do those results compare to the speed your ISP is supposed to be delivering?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Typically problems after a new install, particularly problems with the network after a new install, have to do with device drivers, again particularly missing network adapter drivers.  Check Device Manager, click "show hidden devices" and report any devices with yellow or red flags.

Have you run Windows Update (to get the latest drivers for your computer)?  It's possible WU does not have the latest Win10 drivers and you may have to get them directly from the manufacturer.

Did the install complete normally, or did Windows report errors/issue/problems/anything unusual?

This will go faster if you respond to every single question here.  I've found that responding in the quoted text in a different color is the fastest way to do this (vs. breaking every question into it's own quote and responding to each one individually).

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 10 June 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#3 ihabecancer

ihabecancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hi I am EXTREMELY sorry for misguiding you into thinking that the whole network's speed dropped to 10 mbps while it's not the case.

How many other computers on the network. If you remove the computer with the new Win10 install, do the other computers preform normally.  Trying to prove that the only possible cause of the problem is the new Win10 Computer.

3 computers in the network, 2 being connected to a router wirelessly, and the new one connected through a cable. So removing my new computer(win 10) from the network does not change oher computers' network speeds by any significant value. 

Did the network perform normally prior to the new Win10 installation?  What was the previous o/s.  How do you know that the network speed is only 10 mbps.  What are the results of an internet speed test and how do those results compare to the speed your ISP is supposed to be delivering?

Yes the network's speed was surely above 10 mbps on my old PC (win 7 64bit). I don't remember the value but it was close to 80 mbps(my internet provider claims 100 mbps as my connection speed). I know that my network speed is capped at 10 mbps because i set it this way in settings due to it being THE ONLY way to even have an internet connection working. The resluts of internet speed tests online show varying results but never more than 10 mbps. https://image.prntscr.com/image/KI2gMFdcTwOS2BU4TFsZbw.png

Typically problems after a new install, particularly problems with the network after a new install, have to do with device drivers, again particularly missing network adapter drivers.  Check Device Manager, click "show hidden devices" and report any devices with yellow or red flags.

No yellow or red flags at all whatsoever https://image.prntscr.com/image/IUyaZNqNTeWmvdtIQgMhkA.png .

Have you run Windows Update (to get the latest drivers for your computer)?  It's possible WU does not have the latest Win10 drivers and you may have to get them directly from the manufacturer.

I've run that. It did not resolve the issue.

Did the install complete normally, or did Windows report errors/issue/problems/anything unusual?

It completed as normally as it gets.

There is one more thing that i can mention. In router's page or whatever it's called you can see how much of juice every device gets and one PC gets a disgustingly large amount while others not so much(and phones). https://image.prntscr.com/image/0apIqWZDR_We7eNRXaw7Gw.png. I browsed through that page and I really couldn't find a way to change distribution of bandwidth or whatever. Even if I could tho I don't think that would help since my old PC was operating at 80 mbps and I myself changed the speed to 10 mbps to avoid "cable unplugged" error.

Edit: made responses green.

Edit vol.2: fixed first linked image's adress.

Edited by ihabecancer, 10 June 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

There is one more thing that i can mention. In router's page or whatever it's called you can see how much of juice every device gets and one PC gets a disgustingly large amount while others not so much(and phones). https://image.prntscr.com/image/0apIqWZDR_We7eNRXaw7Gw.png. I browsed through that page and I really couldn't find a way to change distribution of bandwidth or whatever. Even if I could tho I don't think that would help since my old PC was operating at 80 mbps and I myself changed the speed to 10 mbps to avoid "cable unplugged" error.

Edit: made responses green.

This seems meaningful to me. Who's device is that?  Looks like they are doing P2P filesharing.  It's an initial opinion, but I'm going to theorize that you are somehow "throttled" and only getting some defined "minimum" bandwidth (that's the technical word, and not "juice"), so that the router/modem can deliver the bulk of the bandwidth to that one computer.  Somehow it has priority.  it's gets everything EXCEPT the bare minimum, which is what you get.  Remove that device from the network and see what happens.  Also hit your brother in the head for causing this problem.

If removing that device changes things, then that's the cause of your problems and not your Win10 installation.  Note this is just my initial opinion, but it's worth trying.  One method of troubleshooting is to methodically isolate certain parts from the whole system in order to determine where the problem is and is not.

Also, if you can, remove your Win10 machine from the LAN connection and plug in another different computer.  If that computer suddenly gets 80Mbps, then we know it's your Win10 machine's fault.  If not, then we don't have to dig around and look for some strange setting or whatever on your Win10 as the problem is going to be elsewhere.

EDIT***

In fact, as I think about it, after looking at your screen shot again, I think a better test would be to remove EVERYTHING ELSE from the network and see what kind of Bandwidth your Win10 machine gets.  If you get it ALL, then it's a network sharing issue.  If you still get your 10 Mbs, then you really have a problem with the Win10 installation.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 10 June 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#5 ihabecancer

ihabecancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the concern my mang. I hit my dad in the head because it's his PC with the absurd speed and not my brother's but it appears that i've just made him angry for nothing. I disconnected all devices but mine https://image.prntscr.com/image/wiB8LLUvTT2Uz8hZ4RBO0g.png . Then i changed the speed from 10 mbps to autonegotiation and others to see if any setting would work https://image.prntscr.com/image/OBJmh6QGQHmRiKNNb8uYzw.png . It didn't doe :/
One thing to mention I don't know why my dad's PC was getting SO MUCH jui... bandwidth but that screen is really old since I've encountered this issue about 2 months ago and just didn't do anything about. This is the present situation with all the devices connected https://image.prntscr.com/image/qE6lvsuLRAmx_V_c_yhkQQ.png . So that would mean there is something wrong with my new hardware or windows 10 itself. What can you suggest? I also found someone having the same problem (he says he has the exact same driver that I do) on this forum and SADLY it has not been resolved. He just bought network adapter and I can't do that because my mainboard simply has no slot for one :/ https://communities.intel.com/thread/105862 . I'd like to add that I really don't see how could the installation of windows 10 go badly in my case I would prefer too look at this issue from the perspective that it's not windows' fault.

Edit: added forum link.

Edit vol.2: added my concern about windows 10 being installed in a specific way being the issue here.

Edited by ihabecancer, 10 June 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the concern my mang. I hit my dad in the head because it's his PC with the absurd speed and not my brother's but it appears that i've just made him angry for nothing. I disconnected all devices but mine https://image.prntscr.com/image/wiB8LLUvTT2Uz8hZ4RBO0g.png . Then i changed the speed from 10 mbps to autonegotiation and others to see if any setting would work https://image.prntscr.com/image/OBJmh6QGQHmRiKNNb8uYzw.png . It didn't doe :/
One thing to mention I don't know why my dad's PC was getting SO MUCH jui... bandwidth but that screen is really old since I've encountered this issue about 2 months ago and just didn't do anything about. This is the present situation with all the devices connected https://image.prntscr.com/image/qE6lvsuLRAmx_V_c_yhkQQ.png . So that would mean there is something wrong with my new hardware or windows 10 itself. What can you suggest? I also found someone having the same problem (he says he has the exact same driver that I do) on this forum and SADLY it has not been resolved. He just bought network adapter and I can't do that because my mainboard simply has no slot for one :/ https://communities.intel.com/thread/105862 . I'd like to add that I really don't see how could the installation of windows 10 go badly in my case I would prefer too look at this issue from the perspective that it's not windows' fault.

Edit: added forum link.

Edit vol.2: added my concern about windows 10 being installed in a specific way being the issue here.

Post link to the other thread where he has the "exact same problem" that did not get resolved.

When you say he has the same "driver" I assume you mean he has the same manufacturer/model network adapter that you do. Or did you mean driver too. What is the network adapter's manufacturer & model #.  I want to research it.  It's possible they did not make a Win10 compatible driver and that is the problem.

Also where are you making these settings?  In the adapter's "Properties" area?  Are you CERTAIN you did not have this problem in Win7?  Maybe the hardware is simply broken and has been since before Win10.  It would be useful to be certain that the problem only started with Win10.

Check Event Viewer and see if there are complaints related to network or anything else.  It's possible there's a service should be running that is not, one that is tasked with handing "Autonegotiating" the network adapter's speed.  If that necessary service isn't working that would explain the problem.

In terms of general troubleshooting dynamics, new installs have common problems right off the bat.  That's why I asked about errors.  It's possible that Win10 had errors and didn't throw a message.  Example if the hard drive had bad blocks/sectors on it, or if there is a voltage/power problem and intermittent connection to the PSU causing data corruption on the data actually in process of being installed.  I've seen a bad optical drive (CD/DVD) brand new right out of the box cause problems with the Windows/System files and the machine had a bajillion oddball problems and none of them pointed to the crappy optical drive.  Only removing the drive from the system and doing a brand new reinstall (the 4th or so) proved that it was the problem.  That one took a week of my physical time right there messing with it all day long and every day.  So now when someone says "problem with new install" a lot of PTSD-class bad memories come rushing back at me and I start screaming "MEDIC!" while fumbling around in the dark for my AK-47 and the magazines, only they AREN'T AK-47 magazines, they're soft and fluffy marshmallows.  Huge ones too.

So that's why.

Standard workaround response is a USB adapter, but I think they are crap.  FYI in case someone posts up and gives it.  Having said that, onboard LAN adapters frequently go bad.  Very common.  That's why the Pre-Win7 problem question is so important.  If no, then it's Win10's fault.  If yes, then we hate your motherboard.

#7 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

I also found someone having the same problem (he says he has the exact same driver that I do) on this forum and SADLY it has not been resolved. He just bought network adapter and I can't do that because my mainboard simply has no slot for one :/ https://communities.intel.com/thread/105862 . I'd like to add that I really don't see how could the installation of windows 10 go badly in my case I would prefer too look at this issue from the perspective that it's not windows' fault.

Confused, you said "this" forum and linked to a different forum:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/105862

That problem is for a "MSI Z170A Krait Gaming R6 Siege" motherboard and I thought your system was a HP or similar OEM machine.  It's not the "same problem" unless it's really, really the SAME.  It's a common and technically erroneous mistake to make that laymen frequently make.  Similar-sounding problems can have radically different causes and solutions.  It's advanced level "Jumping off a bridge because someone else did it".

Right now I need identification of the hardware, either the OEM system name, the motherboard manufacturer and model or the exact model of the network adapter.  Sometimes what you can get away with is identify the chipset of the network adapter on a system where the OEM does not have a driver for the "new" o/s, and find driver that will work from another manufacturer that sells a standalone network adapter (say it's PCI and not onboard) using the same chipset.  Advanced level stuff. Hit and miss.  No guarantees.  No crying, no whining and no lawsuits allowed.

#8 ihabecancer

ihabecancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

My man. You are right about me doing an extremely stupid assumption. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I assumed that this guy's(from intel's forums) problem was the same problem I had MERELY because we both had the same network adapter ( I129-V adapter, it's onboard, my card doesn't have pcie slot for adapters) and because his connection was "disconnecting/reconnecting every few minutes" just like mine did on settings other than 10mbps. 

Responses to your later post:

Confused, you said "this" forum and linked to a different forum

I apologize for that. That might have resulted from me being undereducated non-native speaker which resulted in not realising when to use "this", "that" etc.

Right now I need identification of the hardware, either the OEM system name, the motherboard manufacturer and model or the exact model of the network adapter.  Sometimes what you can get away with is identify the chipset of the network adapter on a system where the OEM does not have a driver for the "new" o/s, and find driver that will work from another manufacturer that sells a standalone network adapter (say it's PCI and not onboard) using the same chipset.  Advanced level stuff. Hit and miss.  No guarantees.  No crying, no whining and no lawsuits allowed.

Mainboard: ASRock Z270M Pro4, Z270, microATX.

Chipset: Intel Z270.

Onboard network adapter's chipset: Intel® I219-V Gigabit LAN.

EAN number: 4717677332490. I am giving you this instead of OEM because I am technologically illiterate to such a degree that I don't know how to find OEM system name or its meaning and am hoping that EAN(which I also don't know the meaning of) will be helpful instead. BIOS' producent is 

AMI UEFI.

Responses to your previous post:

Also where are you making these settings?  In the adapter's "Properties" area?  Are you CERTAIN you did not have this problem in Win7?  Maybe the hardware is simply broken and has been since before Win10.  It would be useful to be certain that the problem only started with Win10.

Check Event Viewer and see if there are complaints related to network or anything else.  It's possible there's a service should be running that is not, one that is tasked with handing "Autonegotiating" the network adapter's speed.  If that necessary service isn't working that would explain the problem.

Hey I am under the impression that you are convinced of me having the same computer components and only changing from win 7 to win 10 which is not the case. I have 100% new PC and I meant to mention in my previous posts that it has win 10 installed. I am UNBELIEVABLY sorry about misguiding you once again. This time into thinking that I have only upgraded operating systems while I actually upgraded hardware aswell.

I access the settings that allow me to change network's speed in the following way: "Network and Sharing Center" in the control panel then "Change adapter settings" followed by right clicking on listed connection and properties from the context menu. Clicking configure and in the "Link speed" tab there's a "Speed and Duplex" thingy. That's where i can alter network's speed. I am certain that i did not have this problem on win7(which means on old hardware aswell). So the problem started with BOTH win 10 AND new hardware rather than exclusively with win 10.

That one took a week of my physical time right there messing with it all day long and every day.

physical time

kek

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

Okay so for troubleshooting purposes this is not a software upgrade at all.

My man. You are right about me doing an extremely stupid assumption. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I assumed that this guy's(from intel's forums) problem was the same problem I had MERELY because we both had the same network adapter ( I129-V adapter, it's onboard, my card doesn't have pcie slot for adapters) and because his connection was "disconnecting/reconnecting every few minutes" just like mine did on settings other than 10mbps.

Confused, you said "this" forum and linked to a different forum

I apologize for that. That might have resulted from me being undereducated non-native speaker which resulted in not realising when to use "this", "that" etc.

Mainboard: ASRock Z270M Pro4, Z270, microATX.

Chipset: Intel Z270.

Onboard network adapter's chipset: Intel® I219-V Gigabit LAN.

EAN number: 4717677332490. I am giving you this instead of OEM because I am technologically illiterate to such a degree that I don't know how to find OEM system name or its meaning and am hoping that EAN(which I also don't know the meaning of) will be helpful instead. BIOS' producent is 

AMI UEFI.

Responses to your previous post:

Hey I am under the impression that you are convinced of me having the same computer components and only changing from win 7 to win 10 which is not the case. I have 100% new PC and I meant to mention in my previous posts that it has win 10 installed. I am UNBELIEVABLY sorry about misguiding you once again. This time into thinking that I have only upgraded operating systems while I actually upgraded hardware aswell.

I access the settings that allow me to change network's speed in the following way: "Network and Sharing Center" in the control panel then "Change adapter settings" followed by right clicking on listed connection and properties from the context menu. Clicking configure and in the "Link speed" tab there's a "Speed and Duplex" thingy. That's where i can alter network's speed. I am certain that i did not have this problem on win7(which means on old hardware aswell). So the problem started with BOTH win 10 AND new hardware rather than exclusively with win 10.

That one took a week of my physical time right there messing with it all day long and every day.

physical time

kek

Yeah physical time right there at the computer vs. having to manage some uppity foreigner online.  KEK.

Ok so I'm going to have to spend some time with all of this in order to sort out what might or might not be sarcasm from everything else.  So while I'm busily engaged in THAT constructive activity, I want to ask if you ever actually went to the Asrock website and download the most-recent version of their "chipset drivers" as well as anything pertaining to the network.  If not, that's worth trying while I sort through all this word spaghetti and salad.

I now understand that this is a totally new computer when I thought it was merely a operating system upgrade.  Can you remove the new computer from the network and attach a different one so we can prove that it's the new computer that won't get more than 10 Mbs internet speed?  I'm trying to rule-out everything else but that new computer.  I don't like Asrock.  Give your m/b a close inspection and look for any physical damage to include swollen or leaking capacitors.  If something looks weird don't touch it just take a good hi-res pic of it and post.  bad caps could cause this problem.  Research "bad caps" if you want to know what this whole genre of problems are.

#10 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270M%20Pro4/#Specification

This feature sounds stupid:

Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az

I wonder if it's somehow stuck in "energy efficient mode".  Check BIOS for this feature to disable.  Check adapter properties for this feature to disable.  It says explicitly 10/100/1000 and Windows 10.  Still looking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet

Concepts[edit]
The power reduction is accomplished in a few ways. In 100 Mbit/s, 1 gigabit and 10 Gbit/s speed data links, energy is used to keep the physical layer transmitters on all the time. If they could be put into "sleep" mode when no data is being sent, that energy could be saved.[5] When the controlling software or firmware decides that no data needs to be sent, it can issue a low-power idle (LPI) request to the Ethernet controller physical layer PHY. The PHY will then send LPI symbols for a specified time onto the link, and then disable its transmitter. Refresh signals are sent periodically to maintain link signaling integrity. When there is data to transmit, a normal IDLE signal is sent for a predetermined period of time. The data link is considered to be always operational, as the receive signal circuit remains active even when the transmit path is in sleep mode.[6]

EDIT***

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z270M%20Pro4/index.asp#osW1064

There's a separate drop-down menu for Win7, Win8 and Win10, & 32 vs. 64-bit but the LAN drivers all look the same, but they may not be.

Also verify that you have the latest BIOS:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=FindBIOS

And this won't hurt.

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

And I'm still wondering about Event Viewer and if it's giving you chronic errors, significant errors, particularly with regard to networking and/or Windows Services that aren't running.  SOMETHING has to manage the network "negotiations" and if that Windows Service isn't running, 10 Mbs may be the default setting for when that critical Service isn't running.

And I still hold open the possibility that there was a flaw in the installation.  Event Viewer might reveal that as well.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 10 June 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#11 ihabecancer

ihabecancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

I'm going to sleep now. I will edit this message when I wake up and respond to you. Just know that I am HIGHLY appreciating your efforts so far.

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

Also note it's crazy and it's stupid but another way to prove it's Win10 and not the hardware (or vice versa) is to make a separate partition and install Win7 on it.  If adapter works then it's Win10's fault, else it's hardware.

#13 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

I'm going to sleep now. I will edit this message when I wake up and respond to you. Just know that I am HIGHLY appreciating your efforts so far.

NP if it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it.  Just remember that what side of the bed the AK-47 is on, and don't try to load your pillows for ammunition.

#14 ihabecancer

ihabecancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Yeah physical time right there at the computer vs. having to manage some uppity foreigner online.  KEK.

Ok so I'm going to have to spend some time with all of this in order to sort out what might or might not be sarcasm from everything else.  So while I'm busily engaged in THAT constructive activity, I want to ask if you ever actually went to the Asrock website and download the most-recent version of their "chipset drivers" as well as anything pertaining to the network.  If not, that's worth trying while I sort through all this word spaghetti and salad.

You're enjoying it aren't you you sick bastard. I've just downloaded the most recent version of their chipset drivers in addition to LAN driver (because it has lan in its name). Unfortunately that hasn't helped. 

I now understand that this is a totally new computer when I thought it was merely a operating system upgrade.  Can you remove the new computer from the network and attach a different one so we can prove that it's the new computer that won't get more than 10 Mbs internet speed?  I'm trying to rule-out everything else but that new computer.  I don't like Asrock.  Give your m/b a close inspection and look for any physical damage to include swollen or leaking capacitors.  If something looks weird don't touch it just take a good hi-res pic of it and post.  bad caps could cause this problem.  Research "bad caps" if you want to know what this whole genre of problems are.

After connecting multiple devices that aren't my PC to my networking cable they all get their normal speeds. I've also inspected my motherboard prior to doing that and there is nothing visibly wrong with it at all whatsoever.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270M%20Pro4/#Specification

This feature sounds stupid:

Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az

I wonder if it's somehow stuck in "energy efficient mode".  Check BIOS for this feature to disable.  Check adapter properties for this feature to disable.  It says explicitly 10/100/1000 and Windows 10.  Still looking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet

Concepts[edit]
The power reduction is accomplished in a few ways. In 100 Mbit/s, 1 gigabit and 10 Gbit/s speed data links, energy is used to keep the physical layer transmitters on all the time. If they could be put into "sleep" mode when no data is being sent, that energy could be saved.[5] When the controlling software or firmware decides that no data needs to be sent, it can issue a low-power idle (LPI) request to the Ethernet controller physical layer PHY. The PHY will then send LPI symbols for a specified time onto the link, and then disable its transmitter. Refresh signals are sent periodically to maintain link signaling integrity. When there is data to transmit, a normal IDLE signal is sent for a predetermined period of time. The data link is considered to be always operational, as the receive signal circuit remains active even when the transmit path is in sleep mode.[6]

My device manager doesn't list this power saving option. I'll check the bios and update this post.

Edit: I can't access bios using the key that previously allowed me to do so. I'll answer your other questions and start working on getting into bios.
Edit vol.2 I can access bios directly from windows. I tried doing internet flash to update my bios but it failed to establish internet connection. UEFI's version is "Z270M P1.10". There are versions up to 2.0 on asrock's site should i download the most recent one? There was no energy efficient ethernet option in bios aswell. I'd like to assume that since my router doesn't support it there is no way for it to be active (I do not actually know if my router supports it).
Edit vol.3 

Also verify that you have the latest BIOS:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=FindBIOS

And this won't hurt.

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

And I'm still wondering about Event Viewer and if it's giving you chronic errors, significant errors, particularly with regard to networking and/or Windows Services that aren't running.  SOMETHING has to manage the network "negotiations" and if that Windows Service isn't running, 10 Mbs may be the default setting for when that critical Service isn't running.

And I still hold open the possibility that there was a flaw in the installation.  Event Viewer might reveal that as well.

I'll try updating the bios and filing the asrock's support ticket as you suggested(that's difficult too). If I'll find something in event viewier I'll let you know and I will eventually install windows 7 on a virtual machine.

NP if it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it.

I knew it. An absolute madman.

Edit vol.4 I do realize that I gave little information so feel free to respond when I update what i ought to. A nice little bonus piece of information though is that when using tethering with my smartphone the connection speed goes up. I don't know if that's useful.

Edit vol.5 I have installed windows 7 64 bit on a virtual machine and every setting works(autonegotiation/10/100/1000) aka it doesn't say cable is unplugged BUT every setting still doesn't allow me to go past 10 mbps. Speed test shows no more than 10 mbps on every setting.

Edit vol.6 I've updated bios to version 2.0 which is the largest number on asrock's list of bioses. It did not resolve the issue. I'll check out the Event Viewer despite of knowing NOTHING about it. If you have any tips on what to look for, where to look for it and how I'd be happy to listen.

Edited by ihabecancer, 17 June 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

It is a misunderstanding of networking to think one device is grabbing all of the bandwidth which is why only a 10mb connection.  Bandwidth does not effect the nics actual connection speed.

What I don't seem to see amide this verbose discussion was replacing the network cable being used or using a different port on the router/switch.

Did you try those already?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users