Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_FILE WINDOWS 10 ERROR

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 US1993

US1993

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

I hope someone would be able to help me on this issue, I get the following error BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_FILE on my (Asus X555L) laptop.  If I turn my laptop on it starts the scanning and repairing c: but this either stops at 50% (and the laptop restarts and starts the scanning again) or if it reaches 100% it never does anything beyond that (I have left it like that for hours).  I tried to use the "fix start up" option as well as system restore but neither work. oh, and when I try to use the safe mode option this does not work either, I select to load windows in Safe Mode this just starts the scanning and repairing (c:).

Questions:

Is there something I can do to solve this? without re-installing Windows 10.

As the laptop never turns on, is there a way to find out the Product key as there's no stickers on back in case I have to reinstall?

I tried to explain the issue as clear as I could, if there's more info required please let me know.  Thank you in advance for your replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

You could try to do a System Restore.  Use a restore point which is dated prior to this problem.

If this doesn't work you can do a Reset.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 US1993

US1993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

@dc3

I really appreciate you taking time to reply but unfortunately the laptop never goes beyond scanning and repairing process (it never reaches the login screen).  The only option I can load is the advance setting by pressing f9 when powering on.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

When you open the advanced settings what options are listed.  I don't have the time right now to download the manual.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 US1993

US1993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

When I press f9 I get the below four options:

- Continue (Exit and continue to Windows)

- Use a USB device

- Turn off your PC

- Troubleshoot

When I click on Troubleshoot I get the following options:

- Refresh you PC

- Reset you PC

- Advance Options

I have selected Reset you PC but that tells me that it will erase everything including personal date and does not give me an option to keep.

Just in case you want to know what's under Advance options:

- System Restore

- System Image Recovery

- Start-Up Repair

- Command Prompt

- UEFI Firmware Settings

- Start-Up Settings

Also, When I select System Restore it tells me "you need to sign in as Administrator to continue, but there aren't any administrator account on this pc"  but I have enabled inbuilt Administrator account.

Edited by US1993, 10 June 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

It's that time of year, inlaws, outlaws, and other unexpected visits.

If you can't use any of the advanced options are working we are going to need to create the installation media and perform a refresh.  There is an excellent tutorial for this which can be found here.

You can download a ISO image here to create the installation media.

#7 US1993

US1993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, but I'm still not quite sure on my second question.  Is there a way to find out the product key if I can't use the PC?  and Originally the laptop had Windows 8 installed and was upgraded to Windows 10 (under free upgrade offer) when it released.  Do I need product key when performing reset/refresh?

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:29 AM

Thanks, but I'm still not quite sure on my second question.  Is there a way to find out the product key if I can't use the PC?  and Originally the laptop had Windows 8 installed and was upgraded to Windows 10 (under free upgrade offer) when it released.  Do I need product key when performing reset/refresh?

If a valid copy of Windows 10 is installed, the licensing server will recognize the existing product key.

However, you can get the product key in several ways -

1. From an elevated Command prompt enter...

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

...followed by Enter.

2. Download and run ShowKeyPlus...

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/tag/ShowkeyPlus

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

If I turn my laptop on it starts the scanning and repairing c: but this either stops at 50% (and the laptop restarts and starts the scanning again) or if it reaches 100% it never does anything beyond that (I have left it like that for hours)

This sounds like a faulty hard drive, so reinstalling Windows 10 may just be a waste of time. The bugcheck STOP 0x00000074: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO indicates a corruption in the system registry hive, which usually also points to the hard drive. If you access the Recovery Environment Command Prompt and enter:

CHKDSK C: /R

what does it say? Does CHKDSK find any bad sectors? If it doesn't, I would run SeaTools for DOS (run the Long Generic test). You may have to fiddle around with the settings in the BIOS though.

Best regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 13 June 2017 - 09:48 AM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

I would suggest running the SeaTools for Windows.  This works with every hdd I've tried it on without needing to make any changes in the BIOS to match the storage configuration.

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.  If you need to change the configuration this will have to be done in the BIOS.

If the motherboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

I agree with you that SeaTools for Windows is easier to run, dc3. :) But the problem here is that the user will first have to reinstall Windows before running SeaTools, as he cannot get pass the BSOD.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

I had been taking very powerful pain killers since the 27th of April when I had shoulder surgery, I was able to quit these a couple of days ago. :crazy:   My ability to stay focused has suffered as a consequence.  I had forgotten that the OP could not access anything, including the advanced settings.  Never the less, the information I posted providing the two ways to change the storage configuration in the BIOS can be used if the configuration of their BIOS needs to be altered may be useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users