Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chrome won't open, avg blocked by group policy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 asfeha

asfeha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hello! I am working in a library and a lady (who owns this account, we just made it) has asked me to help her open Chrome on her laptop. Chrome won't open, I checked in Task Manager and the process opens but after a few minutes it closes again.

I tried to open AVG 2013 and an error came up that it is blocked by the group policy. I think she might have a virus so I am recommending her to this forum. She can't download any programs because she doesn't have a working browser.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

If she can open the registry (regedit) look for this key. Delete any keys related to AVG,Chrome, or any program that should be able to run. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer 

If there is a working computer at the library you could download a portable browser and use it. But, there is always a possibility the flash drive could become infected.

Portable Firefox. Double click the exe file and expand the contents to a flash drive. 

If the Portable Firefox allows the downloading of programs then I would recommend starting a thread in the Virus Removal Forum after reading what logs to post after reading the pinned posts. It may take some time to get a response.

If removing the registry keys allows Chrome to run or the portable Firefox allows access to the web then I would suggest first running a scan with HitmanPro. It has a free 30 day trial. An internet connection is required.

If a USB flash drive and another computer is available then you can download 

Adwcleaner and run it.

#3 asfeha

asfeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:53 AM

thank you. i tried to follow your steps with the registry, I deleted the google/chrome key but it still isn't working. We ran malwarebytes adwcleaner but when we press clean nothing is happening... We also ran the FRS tool and have some logs... but I'm not sure if we should share them here...

do you know why the malwarebytes cleaner won't clean?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

There is another registry key that may be causing the problem. Look for AVG or Chrome in the below key. Did you reboot the computer after removing the Chrome and AVG keys in the Safer key?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

How were you able to run a FRST log?  Have you tried running Adwcleaner from a USB key? I can't say why Malwarebytes cannot clean the infection. You can run Rkill first. Do not Reboot. Then run malwarebytes. Rkill will try and stop any processes that would prevent Malwarebytes from cleaning the infection.

You should post the FRST logs in the Virus Removal Forum so an removal expert can look it over and provide the instructions to clean any infection.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users