Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive will read/play audio cd's but NOT DVD's

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

Hi everybody,

The title says it all; I could purchase a new dvd-drive (as they are not expensive) but what if the problem persists? moreover, I've hardly put this one to work, as most games are nowadays downloadable, but now I'm in need to use it, to install an older, physical, title. :mellow:

The brand is: tsstcorp cddvdw sh-s223c

And my OS is windows 7

Does anyone have any idea? help will surely be appreciated.

Francisco.

PS: I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, cleaned the lens and tried to delete the registry entry (lower and upper something...); I said "tried" because those two entries were nonexistent in the regedit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

If you keep the receipt, what would be wrong to purchase a new one as a test? As long as the packaging is pristine and not "tore up", if this new one does the same thing, you can return it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

The best thing to do is to obtain a bootable DVD, such as Windows installation media, or a Linux Live DVD, and see if the system can boot from the DVD. If the drive cannot read a DVD to boot from, then it's the drive itself at fault. The laser has two sections for CD and DVD, and one section can fail while the other still works. The rarer eventuality of a dirty lens affecting DVD alone would seem to be covered by the lens having been cleaned already.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

If you keep the receipt, what would be wrong to purchase a new one as a test? As long as the packaging is pristine and not "tore up", if this new one does the same thing, you can return it.

I'll think abou it.

#5 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

The best thing to do is to obtain a bootable DVD, such as Windows installation media, or a Linux Live DVD, and see if the system can boot from the DVD. If the drive cannot read a DVD to boot from, then it's the drive itself at fault. The laser has two sections for CD and DVD, and one section can fail while the other still works. The rarer eventuality of a dirty lens affecting DVD alone would seem to be covered by the lens having been cleaned already.

I wouldn't know how to do that, but it sure sounds complicated.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

You've got Windows 7...simply create a Repair Disc for Windows 7 using a dvd blank disc. Create a System Repair Disc in Windows 7

Just use it to boot the computer. If it boots, properly remove the disk and reboot.

You didn't mention how old the dvd's you want to play or whether they were created by you or bought with a game or movie installed.

The dvd could be degraded.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Buddy brought up good points, I add from experience: sometimes "end-user-created" DVDs will not work in all computer DVD players nor in all DVD players; or sometimes only work erratically in some players.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

You've got Windows 7...simply create a Repair Disc for Windows 7 using a dvd blank disc. Create a System Repair Disc in Windows 7

Just use it to boot the computer. If it boots, properly remove the disk and reboot.

You didn't mention how old the dvd's you want to play or whether they were created by you or bought with a game or movie installed.

Buddy brought up good points, I add from experience: sometimes "end-user-created" DVDs will not work in all computer DVD players nor in all DVD players; or sometimes only work erratically in some players.

Nope, sorry mates age has nothing to do with it; as a matter of fact, the first time I noticed this problem was when I tried to install a brand new game (dvd); I ended up sending it back as faulty, only to receive a new one with the "same problem", it was at that moment that it struck me that there was something wrong with the drive :cherry: ...

funny side note: in the end I found out that I didn't even need the DVD of the game, as all I needed was a serial-number printed inside that'd allow me to activate (and download) the game in "Steam"; why I was sent a physical copy as well remains a mystery.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

Nope, sorry mates age has nothing to do with it...

I didn't say age, I mentioned "end-user-created" DVDs, and sometimes even end-user-created audio CDs.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

You have confirmed, in my opinion, that your internal DVD player is the problem. Time to select a new external or internal replacement. If you were

in the USA I would offer some suggestions as to where/ what to purchase. Though you likely have already looked into that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

You have confirmed, in my opinion, that your internal DVD player is the problem. Time to select a new external or internal replacement. If you were

in the USA I would offer some suggestions as to where/ what to purchase. Though you likely have already looked into that.

I'm glad you're sure about the fact that I need a replacement, I wasn't being stingy just cautious :rolleyes:;  I was, as indeed you pointed out, looking for some offers at Amazon, what, if I may ask, made you confirm your suspicions that my dvd player is ko?

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Sure...you're info stating that CDs work...DVDs don't...regardless of age and they are new and commercially mass produced DVDs. Then you reported reloading drivers.

I can think of no other reason except the rare chance of just having the bad luck of getting bad DVDs time and again...an unlikely coincidence. Then there's platypus's comment..."The laser has two sections for CD and DVD, and one section can fail while the other still works".....

If it looks like a duck...walks like a duck...quacks like a duck....its not an ostrich...or playpus. :)

Quack Quack Quack...Harold that use to be funny but it isn't anymore.

d3605b77b679da29a9356a0fe1795218.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 11 July 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#13 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:44 AM

I finally got a new dvd-drive as some of you suggested and you were (apparently) right! the new drive reads all dvd's without any fuss; thanks to you all, you were really nice.