Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

For the past week or so I've noticed my computer being shut down when I know I didn't shut down, coupled with the Chrome popup of asking about restoring tabs that were open when it happened.

I suspect I have something going on when I put it to sleep that causes it to shut down for some reason, but is there a way to figure that out?  

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:17 AM

Check that the computer is not overheating - if the fans &/or vents are dirty/covered in fluff then it'll shutdown.
Also check that any backup software (or any other program) isn't set to shutdown after running. Ccleaner pro & Macrium reflect free can be configured to shutdown after running.
How are you putting the computer to sleep?

Edited by Goddess_Bastet, 10 June 2017 - 07:21 AM.

#3 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

I can't imagine it's overheating because when I use it for gaming I monitor temps pretty regularly.  I'd think it would overheat during actual gaming and not when asleep if that were the case.

Start - Power - Sleep typically, I've also got it setup to auto-sleep after either 15 or 20 minutes of inactivity.  

Edited by tsquared56, 10 June 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

How do you have the power settings set?

Do you have the computer configured to shut down at any point?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

I've got the screen set to shut off after 15 minutes and the PC to sleep never, which surprised me because I thought I had it set for 2 hours of inactivity, so I put it (back) to 2 hours.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

I would be interested if there are any clues in the Windows Event Log...

The easiest way to check the Event logs is to do the following...

In Control Panel, navigate to Administrative Tools and click on Event Viewer.

Expand the Custom Views folder and click on Administrative Events.

The Administrative Events contain Warnings, Errors, and Critical events from all event logs.

Windows 10 -

In Control Panel, enter event in the top-right search box and click View event logs in the result.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

I've got the screen set to shut off after 15 minutes and the PC to sleep never, which surprised me because I thought I had it set for 2 hours of inactivity, so I put it (back) to 2 hours.

What were the results after you changed those settings?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 jasonemurray

jasonemurray

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

I have seen laptops running a few tabs (maybe 3-4) spike the CPU to the point that the fans kick up to high speed.  Perhaps your machine is overheating?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

The Administrative Events contain Warnings, Errors, and Critical events from all event logs.

Windows 10 -

In Control Panel, enter event in the top-right search box and click View event logs in the result.

The Event Viewer can be really confusing, there are a lot of warnings, errors, and informational messages.  Without knowing what it all means, you can incorrectly assume that your computer is broken or infected when there’s nothing really wrong.

The events themselves are what you want to see, but the usefulness of these events can range from being very specific and obvious things that you can fix easily to the very vague messages that don’t make any sense and you can’t find any information on Google.

Unless you are experienced enough with determining which event errors are significant you may not find anything which is going to point you in a direction which will help with diagnosing issues with a computer.

Because of the ambiguities that are iherent in these event errors there are scammers out there who will access your computer with your permission and will quote event errors from the event viewer to convince you that your computer is infected and charge you to "repair" the computer.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

For the past week or so I've noticed my computer being shut down when I know I didn't shut down, coupled with the Chrome popup of asking about restoring tabs that were open when it happened.

I suspect I have something going on when I put it to sleep that causes it to shut down for some reason, but is there a way to figure that out?  

Thanks.

Curiously, do you have dumps in C:\Windows\Minidump? Perhaps Windows crashed when you were away for a while.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

Windows 10 -

The Event Viewer can be really confusing, there are a lot of warnings, errors, and informational messages.  Without knowing what it all means, you can incorrectly assume that your computer is broken or infected when there’s nothing really wrong.

The events themselves are what you want to see, but the usefulness of these events can range from being very specific and obvious things that you can fix easily to the very vague messages that don’t make any sense and you can’t find any information on Google.

Unless you are experienced enough with determining which event errors are significant you may not find anything which is going to point you in a direction which will help with diagnosing issues with a computer.

Because of the ambiguities that are iherent in these event errors there are scammers out there who will access your computer with your permission and will quote event errors from the event viewer to convince you that your computer is infected and charge you to "repair" the computer.

Could not disagree more...

Event logs are a major tool in troubleshooting Windows issues and should never be discounted.

Logs can be exported, and analyzed by more experienced users.

No different than the logs generated by the tools used in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

Windows 10 -

Could not disagree more...

Event logs are a major tool in troubleshooting Windows issues and should never be discounted.

Logs can be exported, and analyzed by more experienced users.

No different than the logs generated by the tools used in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

Only if you know exactly what you are looking for.  Your average puter driver does not.

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

"Only if you know exactly what you are looking for.  Your average puter driver does not."

Which is why I mentioned that logs can be exported and reviewed by more experienced users.

Again, no different than the logs generated by the tools used in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users