Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

I have Windows 8.1. When Windows 10 first came out (FREE) I installed it and used it for a few months and then uninstalled. I would like to put it back, but would I now have to pay for it or is there a way of going to MS web site and reinstalling it for free?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:24 AM

As you installed Win 10 during the free year then you'll have a 'digital entitlement' to reinstall it again. It should automatically activate the key (if asked during install select enter key later). Even if you do a clean install of Win 10 it should activate automatically.

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

Thank you so much for your help, but I guess I am out of luck. If I had a key I am unable to find it now.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

You have a digital license. The license is stored on Microsoft Severs. Use the Media Creation Tool to obtain the latest Windows 10. Click next when it asks for a key. You will be autoactivated once online.

#5 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

Thank you!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Windows 10 doesn't always provide the digital entitlement code, it will come with a twenty five alphnumberical character code.  

How to find your Windows product code with the Speccy Snapshot

Please download and install Speccy to find your Windows product code.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

speccy1_zpsrueynimp.png

Under Summary click on Operating System.

speccy2_zpsxmwtld56.png

The product code is listed as Serial Number:.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

dc3, I believe the OP is currently running Windows 8.1 after uninstalling Windows 10. I have heard that Microsoft is still allowing upgrades using Windows 7 and 8 keys but I believe the OP's upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 gave a digital license but I could be wrong. But this all depends on if the OPs Windows 10 install was activated.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

If you activated a free upgrade to Windows 10 or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Store, you have a digital license for your device. This means you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital license for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, you can skip this step. Windows 10 will automatically activate online after the installation is complete.

#8 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

I appreciate all the tips. I will be doing this today, but one thing I am still trying to get straight. I'm trying to figure out the best way to back up my Bookmarks. I will be using Google Chrome for my Browser, which I use now. Would it be best to place them on a Flash Drive or is there any easy way of holding them in Google before I change OS?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

Yes, you can backup your Chrome Bookmarks. Export them to one HTML file. Copy to a flash drive.

http://ccm.net/faq/31791-how-to-back-up-your-google-chrome-bookmarks

Edit: I don't know what install media you have or how old it is but you can get the latest version of Window 10 using the Media Creation Tool.

Do a clean install per this guide. It's for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for Windows 10. You want to delete every partition currently on the disk before proceeding with the install.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Make absolutely sure you have all your data backed up. The optimal way would be to do a complete disk image of your Windows 8.1 to an external drive using a program like Macrium Refect Free or Aomei Backupper. Both let you create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive to recover the image from the USB external drive to your computer's drive. It would also be a good idea to do an image of your Windows 10 install after installing all your programs and tweaking it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#10 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

I tried to Export Bookmarks, but the came up as a Media File and I could not view any of the Bookmarks.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

Did the exported file have a HTML extension?

#12 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

Here is a screenshot

Attached File  backup.jpg   88.73KB   0 downloads

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

That looks correct. It is an HTML document that you should save to a flash drive before installing Windows 10. If you have already installed 10 and wish to restore the backup file then select Import HTML file and browse to the file on the flash drive.

If you have not done so already I would enable file extensions in Windows.  

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-file-extensions-in-windows

#14 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

@ocean77

Another option with Chrome is: By default, when you sign in to Chrome, all your Chrome data will be synced to your Google Account. This includes bookmarks, history, passwords, and other information.

You can read here: 

Sync Chrome data across devices: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Sign in to Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/185277

In your case, if you elect to do a clean install and install Chrome, you will have access to everything you have synced.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

softeyes,

You are indeed correct.

I am posting only to emphasize the, "when you sign in to Chrome," part.   Many people never do.  You must sign in to Chrome using a Google Account and I'd double check the sync settings just to make certain that everything you want to have synced to the cloud goes there.

It still doesn't hurt to export one's bookmarks to an HTML file as "backup backup" just in case, as the process takes only a few moments.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users