Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 poppityping

poppityping

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:07 AM

I figure this is as much of a Windows crash as it is anything else, so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

I had an HP laptop. It was a few years old (maybe 2-3) and it was working perfectly. I bought a new laptop and gave this one to my mum. It worked fine for a while - a great little computer, never skipped a beat - until it started getting a bit noisy. A few weeks pass and then it gives a warning about its fan. Next time she turns it on, it gives a warning that the fan doesn't work and using the computer may damage the computer. So she took it in to work and the IT department tried to have a look at it, but the laptop is set up so that to get to the fan, you have to remove pretty much everything else. They recommended that she move the files off it and find a new computer because it's not worth replacing the fan.

This was a while ago. It hasn't been used since. I just started it up and could hear it working. The power button was lit up, the screen lit up, whatever normally whirs quietly when computers start up was whirring quietly. The screen didn't change from black/backlit/grey. I heard it make the Windows startup tone. I went to get a monitor to plug it in to see if that helped and just as I was starting to plug it in, the laptop turned off.

It won't turn back on. No lights come on at all. The charging cable makes a clicking sound when I plug it in and charge it. I've tried removing the battery. I can't find a screwdriver small enough to open the case.

I've looked up how to remove an internal hard drive to see if anything is remaining (like photos...) but after the mildly terrifying part about grounding yourself and removing it...they all go on to mention cases or universal adapters or just plugging them in. I know an okay amount about computers but know nothing about this. Is there a way to plug it in to another computer without buying something? I've checked and no stores near me seem to carry cases or universal adapters, so it would have to be somewhere online...and I'd like to try to avoid buying anything if I don't need to. And the cases come in different sizes and I wouldn't even know which size to buy even if I do need to :)

I'm happy to have a go at carefully removing the HD...but not sure what to do after this (and I've read a bunch of guides - eg,  August 27, 2011 3:33:20 PM - for some reason, I'm just not getting it)

Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

There are loads of youtube video guides on things like this. Just get the one for your particular model.

What model is it by the way?

#3 poppityping

poppityping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:18 AM

It's a HP Pavilion DV4.

It looks simple enough to remove the HD itself. But what do I do afterwards to plug it into another computer as an external HD?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

Are you certain that the IT folks put it back together enough for it to work properly?

Just guessing here, but it sounds like it's booting to WIndows - you just can't see it.
And then, after a bit, it probably shuts down to overheating.

Grounding yourself is a good idea.  The point here is to eliminate any static electricity.

If you don't eliminate it, it can damage the data on the drive (and maybe even the drive itself)

A wrist strap attached to a good solid ground is an excellent option, and they are fairly cheap.

Sometimes you can get away with just holding the metal of the chassis while doing this - but it's a risk that you'd have to accept (in case it didn't work).

Also, finding the metal on a laptop's chassis can be challenging (most are plastic).

STEP-BY-STEP for HP's that I do at work:

- remove the laptop battery

- open the hatch that covers the hard drive (when in doubt, open them all).  It's held in with either screws, plastic clips, or a combination of both

- unscrew the retaining screws (usually 2 or 4) that hold the hard drive and it's caddy in place)

- slide the hard drive and caddy away from it's plug in point

- remove the hard drive and caddy from the case

- unscrew the screws that hold the hard drive to the caddy (usually 4 screws on the sides)

Then plug it into the SATA to USB adapter (I presume that this is a SATA drive - and if the system is only 2-3 years old, that's most likely what it is)

For a laptop hard drive you don't need a power adapter for the SATA to USB adapter.

Then plug the SATA to USB adapter into the other computer

When you connect it to another computer, you should be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer (It will NOT be the C: drive - that's the drive of the computer that you're currently on).

From there you can copy the data off of it.  Most data is contained in the Users folder - either under the profle of the USERNAME or in the PUBLIC folders.

Edited by usasma, 10 June 2017 - 08:07 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users