Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious behavior of networked printer after Win 10 1703 update

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Linksys EA2700 router, WiFi home network, desktop computer (Dell XPS 8700, Win 10 Pro 64 bit) hardwired to router, laptop (Dell Inspiron 5537, Win 10 Home 64 bit) by WiFi only (automatically, when it's here).  HP Photosmart 6525 AIO printer/etc., hard wired to the desktop, only via WiFi to the laptop (obviously).  Up to now the printer has appeared only once (in its network identity) in "devices and printers" on the laptop, but twice (as itself, and as its network identity) on the desktop.  Following the 1703 (Creators) update on the desktop, I got a notification on the desktop that the networked printer was not completely installed, and was prompted to download and install the relevant software from HP (the said software of course actually being already present in the desktop for the "real" printer - and in the laptop for the networked identity).  The download and install went without incident (except for head scratching on my part) but when it was finished the networked printer appeared in "devices and printers" no longer as its network identity (beside the "real" version) but as a generic printer icon saying "driver missing" or some such. It still appears on the laptop (still running version1607 of Win 10 Home), as ever, in its network identity as "HP1C6A1F (HP Photosmart 6520 Series)" and fully operational.  Obviously I don't need the network version of the printer on the desktop computer (where the "real" version is set as default printer) so I simply removed the device with the generic printer icon from the Control Panel/View Devices and Printers screen.  But I am confused and perplexed.  Why did downloading what must have been a complete second set of drivers, etc., for that printer, suddenly make it inaccessible to the desktop computer, where it had resided beside the "real" version quite happily for many months?

And for the sake of order, which occasionally appeals to me, is there some easy way to roll back that situation?  Bring up the generic icon again (still labeled as "HP1C6A1F" and so forth) and uninstall it?  Or is it better just to leave well enough alone?  I am a scientist, I HATE a mystery <G>.  Actually, demystifying mysteries is the lifeblood of science, it's what I've been doing for the last 70 years, we LOVE mysteries but only because we love solving them . . .

EDIT - in the meantime I put the networked printer back on the "Devices and Printers" page, and it now shows the proper icon (a picture of the actual printer) rather than the generic printer icon.  It also says "Status: Driver is unavailable."  Go figure?

Thanks for enlightenment!

Edited by saluqi, 09 June 2017 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users