Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Creators Update Hides the Log In Boxes Have to safe mode each time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MizzB

MizzB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer. I am new to your community.

Last week Windows Update put the Creators Update on my laptop. It promises to "further empower your creativity with new innovations and features". What it did was take an entire day to install and creatively use up a lot of my time this week. It innovatively removed the log in screen. 

When I start my computer, both from a compete shutdown or from sleep mode, the log in screen shows the picture of the day but will not give the option to log in. The log in boxes do not show up.

So I take another step and restart my laptop in safe mode from this screen and it now allows me to log in - in safe mode. Every time my laptop goes to sleep I have to do this double start up to reach safe mode. 

I restored my Windows 10 to a time before the Win 10 Creators Update. I then disabled Windows Update in Services so that I don't have to fight with this update again until it is actually ready for prime time. ( I wish we could still choose updates the old way) I hoped this error would reverse after the System Restore but I still do not get the log in boxes after a wake up or start up. 

I researched Microsoft Community without locating a solution. I posted a question and a Microsoft Community Forum Moderator suggested I do a "clean boot". I did that. The laptop started quickly and gave me the log in screen. I asked for additional help but have not received another response. Will a clean boot simply resolve some issues? I went back into msconfig and the boxes are all checked again. 

Here's how to perform clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I am still trying to figure out the next step to repair this issue. If I find the solution I will update this post. Otherwise : HELP please. 

Also - Windows 10 always did seem to run slow but it has added some additional lag time after this Creators Update. Very creative.  

I am running

Windows 10,Version 1703, OS build 15063.332

I did want to get some work done this week. I had not planned on computer repair. Thanks Microsoft.

Edited by MizzB, 09 June 2017 - 10:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

Do you have HP SimplePass on your machine? If yes, either disable it or uninstall it then reboot to get login box again.

#3 MizzB

MizzB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

Ok, it is another day. My laptop logged in correctly this morning. So it appears that perhaps the clean boot may have taken care of this problem.

Once again, directions for a clean boot are found at Windows Article ID: 929135 - Last Review: Mar 1, 2017 - Revision: 12

or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

OK, I'm back. All my printers and devices are gone. The creators update is a real operating system update. Be prepared for suprises after the update. Thanks for the warning Microsoft. 

Edited by MizzB, 10 June 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

When you use a Clean boot you go into System Configuration and disable all of the Windows services so that you your third party apps/services will be accessible for testing purposes.  When you have this set up you restart the computer and if the previous problem does not reoccur the problem is in one of these third party apps/services.  You can then divide the services and restart to see if the selected services contain the service which is causing this problem.  This is a process of elimination to find this driver.  You will have to deal with the specific services to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps you understand what a Clean Boot is used for.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MizzB

MizzB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Thank you. In this clean boot -  the only services that they had me uncheck were Microsoft services. I will look through it again later. Each suprise I find is when I am trying to get some work done. Now, all my printers and devices are gone. Of course I have to get codes from all of my secure log ons to prove what device I am working from. Thanks for the advance warning Microsoft. We should be able to plan for these large updates like we used to. 

Thanks for the information Bleeping Old Fart. I do know how to go through the list to check, but there are a LOT of them. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

Steps 4 through 7 are what is needed to be done under Services.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users