Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hey ya'll

I recently got a Nvidia Geforce FX5500 video card, and I am having one heck of a time getting it installed.
I should mention, I have an Intel board with built in video. XP Pro
I put the card in PCI slot, booted...windows did not find the new card as new hardware, but it showed up in the device manager. I downloaded the drivers I believe I needed 'Windows 2000/XP driver for all NVIDIA graphics cards'. a 40mb download from Majorgeeks. After installing the drivers, everything went to #@%$!!!
When booting, the monitor would only work off the new card, but at the sign on screen, the monitor would only work with on-board video plug.
I got multiple 'failed to start' errors, all blaming a dll. And even got a warning that said I may be the victim of software piracy. ALL MY SOFTWARE IS LEGITIMATE. I have automatic updates on, and the validation tool, etc.
I am sure I did something wrong. :thumbsup: I probably did not install the drivers correctly... :flowers:

I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:49 AM

Did you go into the Device Manager and disable the onboard video card? This may solve some of your issues.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

I would now like my " Moron of the Year Award"....

As much as I would like to blame it on something else...it was that simple.
Guess I went into panic mode...(I Hate Error Mess.)

:thumbsup: Like a Charm :flowers:

Disabled onboard video
Turned pc off
Installed video card
Boot pc.....All is well :trumpet:

Thanks for your time Acklan, it IS appreciated. I hate that I bothered you guys with something I should have seen myself. Thanks again!!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:53 AM

No problem. You are welcome.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users