Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will randomly reboot after playing games.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mikau

Mikau

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:22 PM

My computer was working perfectly fine before it was shipped and now something in it is causing overheating to my GPU which causes a crash. I swapped the GPU with something else and it will still crash. I've run IntelBurner (which succeeded on maximum for 10 runs)  and am currently running Prime95 to see if the CPU is the culprit. Currently the MOBO's ram seat #2 causes the computer to not boot up so there's some damage on that, but I need help on fixing this situation. Any ideas will be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

You already know that there is damage to the motherboard.
What causes you to think that this problem is separate from that?

How did you determine that the CPU is overheating?  What temperature does it reach?

Please test the hard drive with Seagate Seatools and test the RAM with MemTest86 (NOT MemTest86+)

What were the results of Prime95 - and what tests did you run?

Did Prime95 cause the system to crash?

IME the most common problem with shipping damage is a card/component that has come loose.

As you relate that this seems to be a cooling problem, have you checked:

- that the CPU cooling fan is working and is blowing cooler air INTO the CPU cooler

- that the CPU cooler is free of dirt, dust, clogs, hairballs, etc?

- that the CPU cooler is firmly fixed to the CPU (try to gently wiggle it), and that there's adequate thermal compound between the CPU cooler and CPU

- that the approriate power cords (the 20/24 pin and the 4/8 pin power cords) are firmly seated in their sockets.

Edited by usasma, 10 June 2017 - 07:41 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mikau

Mikau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

I noticed the computer crashes when the GPU reaches about 75 degrees Celsius.

Here is HWinfo64 while idle: https://gyazo.com/d260a2e22927c97f7b81dff7aafa996c

I know there is some form of damage to the MOBO, but I have a warranty from the shipping company and I wanted to be sure it was only the MOBO that was damaged. I cleaned out all the dust and reapplied thermal paste to my CPU and GPU after I noticed the first problem. I did notice that the MOBO was loose when it was shipped and the heatsink in the GPU was lose as well. Prime95 did not cause any crashes nor did IntelBurner. My HDD broke too (which was the slave) while my SSD is still working fine. All cords connecting to and from the PSU were reseated. I will run MemTest86 now.

Edit: There weren't any errors with MemTest86. I guess I'll just order a new MOBO and go from there. Thanks.

Edited by Mikau, 11 June 2017 - 05:19 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

As you're going to need a new motherboard anyway, it's probably best to return it and see if it fixes the problems.

If it doesn't, then we can look at other things.

In short, this is my hardware diagnostic procedure:

First, do these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then, if they all pass, do this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

A bit of "theory" here....

The sensor that determines the temperature actually sits in a specific location on the GPU (and on other parts)

The sensor merely detects heat, it doesn't detect where the heat comes from.

As such, an overheating component (or sub-component) without a sensor can conceivably affect a nearby sensor.

The reason that I mention this is because I've been seeing issues with video cards that seem to imply that there are sub-components on the video card that can fail without the entire card failing.
This is primarily with the newer, high-end cards and my evidence is anecdotal (it's what I've seen here online, with very little opportunity to observe it at work).

But, as you've tried 2 different video cards, the chance of both cards being bad is very slim.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Mikau

Mikau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

As you're going to need a new motherboard anyway, it's probably best to return it and see if it fixes the problems.

If it doesn't, then we can look at other things.

In short, this is my hardware diagnostic procedure:

First, do these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then, if they all pass, do this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

A bit of "theory" here....

The sensor that determines the temperature actually sits in a specific location on the GPU (and on other parts)

The sensor merely detects heat, it doesn't detect where the heat comes from.

As such, an overheating component (or sub-component) without a sensor can conceivably affect a nearby sensor.

The reason that I mention this is because I've been seeing issues with video cards that seem to imply that there are sub-components on the video card that can fail without the entire card failing.
This is primarily with the newer, high-end cards and my evidence is anecdotal (it's what I've seen here online, with very little opportunity to observe it at work).

But, as you've tried 2 different video cards, the chance of both cards being bad is very slim.

Ok, so I got a new gpu (not because of the problem), swapped for a new HDD, and got a new motherboard and the problem is still happening. The motherboard & gpu get really hot while all the fans are running, but none of them seem to increase in speed when the computer gets hotter. The ram seats are working perfectly though. (So the motherboard was damaged). What should I work on next to solving the problem?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:58 AM

I would suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert assistance with these problems:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users