Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Believe others see everything I see from internet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tomfromillinois

Tomfromillinois

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Hello. I think  others are seeing everything I call up on the internet.  I've been told that the router/modem I have from my ISP, Comcast, only functions as a modem as far as security is concerned, despite what they may say otherwise. I've  been told I need a hardware firewall device that would plug into my current modem/router.  Can anyone recommend a specific model?  (BTW, if it matters, I'm using 2 PC's at most at one time and I don't use wifi.). Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

Firewalls are software, not hardware and Windows has a firewall already included.  There are 3rd party firewalls that are considered "better" than the Windows Firewall, but they require a certain amount of expertise and need frequent "adjustment" to allow programs in that are blocked when you don't want them to be, etc...

Are your Security concerns "General" in nature or are you doing things online that other people would WANT to know about.  The feeling of "being watched" is normal, and healthy IMO but it's also important to recognize that other people have better things to do than to pay attention to the computing behaviors of strangers.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Welcome to BC...

You can access the router and check to see if the firewall is active. Suggest check for updates to router's firm ware, set your own custom password and turn off

remote control access.

You can do a search using the brand name and model of your router/ modem combo to find its default access IP and password. If you can't find those, post the info

here and someone will assist you.

Find out specific information about Comcast-supported routers and gateways.

About Your Router or Wireless Gateway

Edited by buddy215, 09 June 2017 - 01:52 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Firewalls are software, not hardware and Windows has a firewall already included.  There are 3rd party firewalls that are considered "better" than the Windows Firewall, but they require a certain amount of expertise and need frequent "adjustment" to allow programs in that are blocked when you don't want them to be, etc...

Are your Security concerns "General" in nature or are you doing things online that other people would WANT to know about.  The feeling of "being watched" is normal, and healthy IMO but it's also important to recognize that other people have better things to do than to pay attention to the computing behaviors of strangers.

Not quite correct...a router has a built in firewall.

And their are individual hardware firewall devices as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Firewalls-Security-Appliances/SubCategory/ID-529

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hello. I think  others are seeing everything I call up on the internet.  I've been told that the router/modem I have from my ISP, Comcast, only functions as a modem as far as security is concerned, despite what they may say otherwise. I've  been told I need a hardware firewall device that would plug into my current modem/router.  Can anyone recommend a specific model?  (BTW, if it matters, I'm using 2 PC's at most at one time and I don't use wifi.). Thanks.

I think you were misinformed.

A modem only does not have firewall, but routers and router/modems do.

Any router or router/modem needs to be configured correctly.

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

What firewall do you use?

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

@Tomfromillinois, Excellent advice here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/i-think-everything-i-see-on-my-monitor-is-being-seen-by-others.394632/#post-2683619

#8 Tomfromillinois

Tomfromillinois
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Thanks everybody for your thoughtful replies.

I was wondering, after giving it some thought, how likely could an additional hardware firewall device cause ISP or computer problems?  And is it something you can just plug in, or does it require some technical knowledge?

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

What firewall do you use?

Thanks everybody for your thoughtful replies.

I was wondering, after giving it some thought, how likely could an additional hardware firewall device cause ISP or computer problems?  And is it something you can just plug in, or does it require some technical knowledge?

I asked the guy because almost no one I know of uses a hardware firewall.  I'm no expert but it's my belief that sofware firewalls are infinitely better in terms of configurability.  I know of no advantage a "hardware" firewall has over (for example) Zone Alarm. Firewalls block things.  That's all they do.  It's either "Pass" or "Block".  I'd much rather have a software that is commonly used and easier to configure, to let things in that I (and most other people) want in, and block things that I (and most other people) want blocked. Plus you have to pay for it.  Windows Firewall is free.  I think there are other firewall softwares that are free.  Hardware costs money.

As a novice, I recommend you make use of the free opportunities you have at hand before moving on to whatever "next level" there may be, where you are spending real money for the functionality of a hardware firewall that you may not even need.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 10 June 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Tomfromillinois...See my post #3. Once you have determined whether or not the router's firewall is active and other settings mentioned has been done. Then

ask questions...that is the best way to go. No need to purchase anything and no one has said you should.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

You can use the website GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling  to discover a lot about how well your firewall(s) are protecting you.

Run through all of the tests.

Example of a test result from 1056 service ports most commonly used: (mine)

transpixel.gif

passed.gif trustealthanalysis.gif passed.gif transpixel.gif
graypixel.gif
transpixel.gif

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Lot's of good info on that site and it explains what the results of tests mean.

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Another good site is Speed Guide's Security Scan...

https://www.speedguide.net/scan.php

#13 Tomfromillinois

Tomfromillinois
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

buddy215,

I have accessed the admin router page and the firewall is active.  I moved it from lowest to highest security setting.  You mentioned turning off remote control access.  Is that typically something that can be done from router admin page?  I don't see it.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

There should be list of categories of settings. Click on each one till you find that remote control access.

You may end up lowering that setting in the firewall. You'll soon find out if it is blocking incoming traffic that is needed.

#15 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Any cheap router has a firewall on it.  I would just get one with DDOS protection.  If you really want to go extreme.  There is the sonicwall security suite and there is always tripwire for Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users