Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan failed, runs in text mode, but restarts once in graphics mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 todd_in_la

todd_in_la

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

My PC is a stock HP Pavilion 500-164 (AMD A8-6500 APU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB HDD), running Win8.1. It has no add-in cards, and nothing connected except keyboard, mouse & monitor.

CPU fan failed, but I didn't realize it for a while...

I replaced the fan and thermal paste and it now boots w/o "fan failed" error, but only runs if using a text-based OS (BIOS diags, Linux command line, DOS). Once I boot Windows or Linux graphical interface the system immediately restarts.

BIOS-based memory test and a video-RAM test both ran without errors. I replaced PSU with a known-good PSU, too, but still get same reboot behavior.

Is the CPU bad or is it the motherboard? I suspect it's the CPU, but I'd like other opinions before I drop $50-75 on a replacement.

----

I forgot to mention that I get a blue-screen error with either of two messages:

:(

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

We'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

or

We'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

It never restarts, so I turn it off either by holding down power button or pulling the power cord out.

When I turn it back on I'll next get the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, then either of the same two messages, again.

Also, I've tried replacing the RAM and running from a separate video card (known-good). Still get all the same problems.

Edited by todd_in_la, 08 June 2017 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Are you running windows 8.1 or dual booting windows and Linux?

#3 todd_in_la

todd_in_la
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

No, not dual-booting: Win8.1 is on internal HDD, Linux is on USB key.

#4 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Take out the USB key just in case u still have it in. Maybe u r getting some type of hardware failure and u r getting a bsod that causes the PC to restart suddenly. When u turn on your computer press F8 till u get the advanced boot options. Then select "disable restart on system failure" or something like that. Do you get a error screen now when u boot?

#5 todd_in_la

todd_in_la
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I get a blue-screen error with either of two messages:

We'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

or

We'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

It never restarts, so I turn it off either by holding down power button or pulling the power cord out.

When I turn it back on I'll next get the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, then either of the same two messages, again.

Also, I've tried replacing the RAM and running from a separate video card (known-good). Still get all the same problems.

#6 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

Do you have the windows 8 DVD? Sometimes if you run repair from the DVD it can fix startup problems that the US can't fix itself.

#7 todd_in_la

todd_in_la
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

No, I don't have the Win8 media. Still, this has to be a hardware problem since it has the same kinds of crashes with the Linux distros.

#8 todd_in_la

todd_in_la
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

I replaced the CPU, which fixed some of the problems, but had to add in a video card, because even though the system would run w/ new CPU, the video output was full of noise/artifacts. Since I can't trust the mobo any longer, tho', it's gonna get replaced, and then all will be well (I hope!). Thanks, Ste2ph, for your help!

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

It its entirely possible that you cooked your hardware.

Its sad but it happens, thermals can do major damage if left unchecked.

Hopefully your costs were okay, hate to see a lot of money thrown out the door for no reason if this all goes pear shaped.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users