Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I definitely have malware, but I can't find it

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 maggieraeann

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

I know a little bit about computers and I have successfully removed viruses and malware from my mother's computer more times than I can count. However, my own computer seems to have become infected and I can't find the infected file(s). About 2 weeks ago I tried to visit a website I've been to in the past but accidentally mistyped the url and ended up on a sketchy website that immediately started trying to download files to computer. I exited the site as quickly as I could and shut down the downloads. I ran an Avast scan but it didn't find anything so I thought I was good to go. About an hour later I got up to go make myself something to eat and left my computer unattended ~30 minutes. When I came back, my cursor was moving by itself and going through files on my computer. I freaked out and immediately shut everything down and shut off my computer. I opened in safe mode and ran some more scans and it found one malicious file. I deleted said file and attempted to re-boot my computer. I moved any important files to a flash drive and deleted everything else including all my saved internet form data just in case. I updated my passwords using my phone. The cursor problem didn't happen again (I've been keeping an eye on my computer and disconnecting from the network anytime I need to leave it unattended) but on two separate occasions I've gotten the same red, flashing loud pop up telling me my computer is infected and I need to call this number and blah, blah, blah. It's definitely adware because it pops up even when visiting established, well known sites. But I can't locate the file on my computer. I've run Avast and Malwarebytes but it can't locate anything.

Even though the moving cursor thing stopped, I am obviously still very concerned for my privacy. I haven't been able to visit any banking websites or anything regarding finances using my computer because I'm afraid that there could possibly be something worse than adware on my computer..I'm generally a very cautious person. I use Avast with high security settings, don't visit any sketchy websites purposely, and I have never download torrents (or any files from a website I'm unfamiliar with) so I'm pretty sure this all came from that one website I accidentally went to. 

Edited by maggieraeann, 08 June 2017 - 03:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,755 posts
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Welcome to BC....

Use the programs below to clean, remove adware and remove malware.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

Download and run the FREE online scanner from Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET | ESET

• Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users