Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 rescue discs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

I have been reading alot about Windows 8 rescue discs but then recalled being able to use my XP installation disc to load into DOS and run CHKDSK and other diagnosic programs to repair the install. Can the Win 8 disc not be used in the same way of do you HAVE to create a rescue disc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

The repair disk should be created for the version of Windows you are currently using.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-repair-windows-vista-without-a-vista-dvd-disc/

Edited by jwoods301, 08 June 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

You can use the Windows 8 install disk to start the Advanced Boot Options. Click Repair Computer on the below screen when you boot the install disk. You may also want to download UBCD which has some tools to check your hard drive and memory. I would also recommend you do disk image backups on a regular basis. Software that can do this are Macrium Reflect Free and Aomei Backupper. Both let you create a bootable disk or USB flash drive where you can recover the disk image from an external drive should the computer no longer boot because of malware/file system corruption or a bad disk. This way you would be back up in minutes vs hours doing a clean install, reinstalling your programs, and doing all your updates.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html

#4 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks.  What I was trying to say was what is the difference between a rescue disk and running the disc ultilities from the original OS disk?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

I believe starting with Windows 8.1 it was a recovery drive, a USB flash drive. It would also let you copy over the OEM recovery partition allowing you to do a factory restore using the USB recovery drive. That would be one difference between a recovery drive and the install disk.

https://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users