Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Mark Forum as Read" in Mobile Interface

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

It could be that I've somehow never managed to find this feature, but as far as I can tell it does not exist.

If one uses the "Mark as Read" feature from the "button block" one can bring up, this marks everything in every forum as read.

Am I missing something?  If so, could someone let me know how one marks the forum one is currently reading as read on mobile?  If not, could this feature be considered for addition to the mobile interface?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

If so, could someone let me know how one marks the forum one is currently reading as read on mobile?  If not, could this feature be considered for addition to the mobile interface?

I've never been able to find a button to mark an individual forum as read too. However, I use a workaround — just click the dark blue speech bubble button to mark an individual forum as read when viewing the community index:

YOStnof.jpg

It'll then become grey, instead of blue. A little inconvenient, but hey, it works! :P

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

bwv848,

Thanks much.  Not something I ever would have thought of, and a very "workable workaround".

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Glad I could help — you're welcome. :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

bwv848,

Thanks much.  Not something I ever would have thought of, and a very "workable workaround".

I don't consider that a work around as that is how I tend to do it most of the time if I do mark a forum read. I will also on occasion use the "Mark as Read" within the forum when on the desktop.

To me, a work around would be to switch to the desktop mode while on the phone or tablet to use the "Mark as Read" button and the switch back to the mobile version. Since I don't mark forums as read much in general and never on my phone (don't tend to use the phone that much), I have not really needed to do this. I have used this method to report a spam post on occasion since the mobile interface does not have a "report" button on it.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

Well,  I consider it a workaround because there is nothing whatsoever that documents this can be done using that "dark blue speech bubble".

It certainly does functionally what I need, but it's utterly opaque that this bit even has a function other than serving as an indicator of unread content.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

I supposed in my case it helps that I have known about that feature/trick for years. I learned about it on another forum that used that same forum software while being a bit "click happy" (i.e. "I wonder what clicking on this does"). When I first learn about it, I clicked on one of the bubbles as I said just wondering what it did and it marked a forum that I did NOT want marked unread fully unread. I then had to try to remember which threads I had not read. So, in some regards being "click happy" payed off in the long run, but kind of burned me in the short run.

As to whether calling it a word around or not, for me, since that is what it is supposed to do, I would not call it a work around. To me, a work around implies finding a way to do something that in way that is not originally intended. I agree that is it definitely not obvious, however. I would not have discovered it without being "click happy".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users