I have recently decided to install Windows 7 on my Mac Pro in order to be able to play some games that aren't available on macOS. The problem I'm having is that I occasionally get BSOD crashes during gameplay. I have tried to read up on the issue as much as my limited Windows knowledge allowed me to, but unfortunately I couldn't really pinpoint the problem just by googling. That's why I joined this forum in the hopes of getting some pointers on how to find out exactly what is going on inside of my machine. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off let me list the games that I have played so far and how they behaved:
- these games have never crashed (GTA V, Rise Of The Tomb Raider and pretty much any emulated games (Dolphin)
- this game started to crash so much rendering it unplayable (Wolfenstein: The New Order)
- these games crash from time to time with noticeable patterns (Star Wars Battlefront, Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha)
- Star Wars Battlefront crashes often when someone throws a thermal imploder at me (the moment when it detonates). I've also had it crash once when jumping onto an AT-AT when it's covered in blue lightning around its hull
- Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha has only crashed when using the redeemer
I keep all my software up to date, including Windows 7, Direct X 11, all hardware drivers and games.
Here's some more information on the system I'm using including all connected Hardware:
- Mac Pro 5.1 (2010)
- 2x Intel Xeon X5690
- 64GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
- HSI RX 480 8GB (Reference Model) connected to PCIe 16x Slot
- 4 Port Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 Card connected to PCIe 4x Slot
- 240GB SanDisk Plus SSD (NTFS formatted) for Windows 7
- 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD (HFS formatted) for macOS Sierra
- 3x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD (HFS formatted) for file storage
- Apple USB Keyboard
- Logitech MX Master Mouse via Unifying Receiver
- Xbox 360 Wireless Controller incl. Dongle
- Samsung U28E590 connected via Display Port 1.2 @ 4K 60Hz (QHD for gaming) using AMD Free Snyc and default AMD Radeon Settings
- Windows 7 Professional 64bit
I have read that some people use BlueScreenView in order to decipher the BSOD dump files, but to be honest it just confused me even more since none of it makes any sense to me.
I have linked a screenshot with all the latest crash dumps read out in BlueScreenViewer, but if you need any other files or info just let me know and I'll get them to you asap.
Thanks in advance for all your help!
Edited by pascaltherascal, 08 June 2017 - 02:43 PM.