Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 (Boot Camp) games crashing frequently

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Hi folks,

I have recently decided to install Windows 7 on my Mac Pro in order to be able to play some games that aren't available on macOS. The problem I'm having is that I occasionally get BSOD crashes during gameplay. I have tried to read up on the issue as much as my limited Windows knowledge allowed me to, but unfortunately I couldn't really pinpoint the problem just by googling. That's why I joined this forum in the hopes of getting some pointers on how to find out exactly what is going on inside of my machine. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First off let me list the games that I have played so far and how they behaved:

- these games have never crashed (GTA V, Rise Of The Tomb Raider and pretty much any emulated games (Dolphin)

- this game started to crash so much rendering it unplayable (Wolfenstein: The New Order)

- these games crash from time to time with noticeable patterns (Star Wars Battlefront, Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha)

- Star Wars Battlefront crashes often when someone throws a thermal imploder at me (the moment when it detonates). I've also had it crash once when jumping onto an AT-AT when it's covered in blue lightning around its hull

- Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha has only crashed when using the redeemer

I keep all my software up to date, including Windows 7, Direct X 11, all hardware drivers and games.

Here's some more information on the system I'm using including all connected Hardware:

- Mac Pro 5.1 (2010)

- 2x Intel Xeon X5690

- 64GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

- HSI RX 480 8GB (Reference Model) connected to PCIe 16x Slot

- 4 Port Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 Card connected to PCIe 4x Slot

- 240GB SanDisk Plus SSD (NTFS formatted) for Windows 7

- 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD (HFS formatted) for macOS Sierra

- 3x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD (HFS formatted) for file storage

- Apple USB Keyboard

- Logitech MX Master Mouse via Unifying Receiver

- Xbox 360 Wireless Controller incl. Dongle

- Samsung U28E590 connected via Display Port 1.2 @ 4K 60Hz (QHD for gaming) using AMD Free Snyc and default AMD Radeon Settings

- Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I have read that some people use BlueScreenView in order to decipher the BSOD dump files, but to be honest it just confused me even more since none of it makes any sense to me.

I have linked a screenshot with all the latest crash dumps read out in BlueScreenViewer, but if you need any other files or info just let me know and I'll get them to you asap.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Pascal

Edited by pascaltherascal, 08 June 2017 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

Greetings, Pascal, and :welcome: to BleepingComputer's Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support forum!

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. Please DO NOT create a new topic — there is no need to do so.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

Useful information!
Please only use the ZIP compression format, do not use 7z, RAR, etc.!!!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Thanks bwv848,

Should have looked at those before, sorry about that ^^

Here are the files needed and thanks for your support.

Regards,

Pascal

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:35 PM

Hi, Pascal,

Unfortunately, I need a little bit more information about your system — please publish a snapshot with Speccy:

:step1: Speccy by Piriform

• Download and save Speccy from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the ZIP file.
  • Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
  • Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe (or Speccy.exe, if your system is 32-bit), and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
  • Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

Nearly all the memory dumps indicate STOP 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bugchecks, and most (if not all) indicate a cache error on Processor 12, Bank 8:

4: kd> !errrec fffffa8032b428f8
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa8032b428f8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id     : 01d2c9d4d988ab24
Severity      : Fatal (1)
Length        : 873
Creator       : Microsoft
Notify Type   : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp     : 5/10/2017 21:31:59 (UTC)
Flags         : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0     : Memory
Descriptor    @ fffffa8032b42978
Section       @ fffffa8032b42a50
Offset        : 344
Length        : 73
Flags         : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity      : Fatal

Section 1     : Processor Generic
Descriptor    @ fffffa8032b429c0
Section       @ fffffa8032b42a99
Offset        : 417
Length        : 192
Flags         : 0x00000000

Proc. Type    : x86/x64
Instr. Set    : x64
Error Type    : Unknown error
Flags         : 0x00
CPU Version   : 0x00000000000206c2
Processor ID  : 0x0000000000000020

Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor    @ fffffa8032b42a08
Section       @ fffffa8032b42b59
Offset        : 609
Length        : 264
Flags         : 0x00000000

Error         : Unknown (Proc 12 Bank 8)
  Status      : 0xea142440008000b1

Does macOS crash/hang at all? It could just be that one of your two processors is failing since the cache errors are pretty consistent. Is it possible you remove one of the processors for troubleshooting? (Please don't do this if it may void your warranty — I have no experience with Macs whatsoever. :blush:)

There are a lot of Live Kernel Events and TDR errors in the Windows Error Reporting (WER) section of the MSInfo32 report, plus some errors that may indicate potential operating system corruption. Suggest you do a System File Checker scan:

:step1: System File Checker

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
sfc /SCANNOW
  • After the scan is finished, you will see one of three things:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
  • If you see either of the two latter messages, please immediately enter the following command:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Then, attach sfcdetails.txt, which is found on your Desktop, in your next reply.

Apart from the above, I have a few more "generic" suggestions:

• start monitoring your hardware temperatures with HWMonitor
  • run MemTest86 (WITHOUT the plus) for a minimum of eight passes. An excellent guide is available here if you need help.
  • run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.
  • update your BIOS and Windows (if your computer could lose power unexpectedly, please don't!)
  • update your SSD firmware
  • ensure all your programs are up-to-date with Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
  • run Prime95 to stress your CPU, RAM, etc. and reveal problems(read the details in the link)
  • run Driver Verifier if all else fails

Let me know how everything goes. :)

Kind regards,

bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

Hi bwv848,

That's strange...I never encountered any issues on macOS. Haven't touched the CPUs either, the only time I fiddled with the hardware was when upgrading the GPU and replacing some HDDs which was fairly straight forward.

I use macOS mainly for audio production and the occasional streaming of movies. I suspected the problem to be with the GPU (though this hunch wasn't based on any real evidence) since my system only seems to crash when being under heavy GPU load in Windows (gaming).

I have previously downloaded Open Hardware Monitor to monitor temps but I couldn't figure out how to log the data...so I'll give HWMonitor a try tonight.

All my hardware is still covered by an 8 month warranty, so if it's any hardware component failing I should be able to get a replacement. I would have to double check with my retailer though if removing a CPU would void my warranty, but I should assume so. 

Here's a link to my Speccy Snapshot.

System File Checker reported that: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I will work through your generic suggestions and let you know as soon as I'm through.

Thanks a lot so far!

Regards,

Pascal

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi, Pascal,

No need to log your temps, just ensure your system isn't overheating. Do you know how hot the system gets before it crashes?

Do you know the wattage and subvendor of your PSU (e.g. MSI, EVGA, GIGABYTE, etc.)? I should have mentioned in my previous post that an Avast driver was blamed in one of your dumps. Is Avast fully updated? They just released their new version a few months ago, so there have been a few bugs that should be fixed with the latest update.

best regards,

bwv848

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

When you have time, will you please do this too? :)

:step1: Upload Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA) Event Logs

• Click Start, enter eventvwr.msc in the Search box, right-click on eventvwr.msc, and then click Run as administrator.
  • On the left-hand side, click the little arrow next to Applications and Services Logs. Please be advised that this process may be slow. Please be patient, and do not click the Event Viewer window.
  • Click the little arrow next to Microsoft on the left-hand side, and navigate to:
Windows → Kernel-WHEA → Errors
  • On the right-hand side, click Save All Events As..., and save the file as WHEA.evtx.
  • Click OK to the display information window.
  • Zip and attach WHEA.evtx in your next reply. The forum only allows you to use the .ZIP compression format, so please be careful if using a third-party file compression program. :thumbup2:

Thank you.

Kind regards,
bwv848

#8 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Unfortunately I'm not able to get an accurate reading for the temps since I'm sure that they go down quite a bit by the time the system fully reboots. How would you suggest monitoring the temps when gaming in full screen and without a second display?

The PSU is from Delta Electronics, Model DPS-980BB-2 A (wattage is 980W)

I have kept Avast up to date, but I'll double check to make sure there are no lingering updates that I missed.

#9 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

I'm running SeaTools atm, but it's taking a very long time so bear with me please ^^

In the meantime, here's the WHEA Event Log you asked for.

Best Regards, Pascal

Attached Files

• Attached File  WHEA.zip   36.98KB   1 downloads

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

Hi, Pascal, :)

If you'd like you can test only the drive that Windows is installed on and remove the other drives while we're troubleshooting. I was wondering whether if the graphics card is getting enough power, since two Xeons take up a tremendous amount of power (at least 260 W).

How many RAM sticks do you have? If they're not OEM Apple ones, may I know the make/model? (I can't find out from the uploaded files for some strange reason.) Also, sorry for being such a pain and asking again, but did your graphics card come directly from AMD (since you upgraded the OEM Apple one) or from another subvendor (like EVGA, MSI, etc.)?

To monitor the temps just pause the game while you're playing and open up the hardware monitor utility.

BTW, do you know of any reliable video stress tests for macOS? It would be interesting to see how macOS behaves under stress. At the end of the day, this could just be a nasty compatibility issue since Apple motherboards are not designed to run Windows.

Kind regards,
bwv848

#11 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Hi bwv848,

No worries at all, in fact I'm really glad to be getting this much in-depth support from you.

I ran SeaTools both in S.M.A.R.T and long generic test mode testing both my Windows and macOS drive (I didn't test the other 3 data drives since they're 2TB each). Both drives passed both tests.

I have 4 RAM sticks, each 16GB in slot 1&2 and 5&6. They are SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L - 12800R sticks.

My graphics card is from a subvendor, HSI to be precise. But it looks like the reference model (not overclocked as far as I can tell since only one fan). It's sitting in a PCIe 16x slot and connected via single 6-pin power connector.

I will keep monitoring my temps and will report back once I have a decent overview.

As far as video stress testing on macOS goes, I could try this one. Although I'm not really sure if it classifies as "reliable".

I do hope that it's not a compatibility issue on the motherboard side...that would be very unfortunate  :mellow:

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers, Pascal

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thank you, Pascal. :)

I'd go ahead and run the macOS video stress test and see what happens. Be careful and uncheck any unwanted software (don't want you to get infected). Is this you graphics card company:

http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product1-157.shtml

I couldn't find "HSI" anywhere on the web. :(

Regards,

bwv848

#13 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

Ok, I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Yes that's the right subvendor.

This is my card by the looks of it:

http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-927.shtml

Regards,

Pascal

#14 pascaltherascal

pascaltherascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

Sorry for the type, that was in fact meant to say "HIS" 

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

No problem, Pascal. :)

Do you still have your drivers disc? If so, I'd create a system restore point, wipe your graphics drivers clean with Display Driver Uninstaller 17.0.6.6, and reinstall your graphics drivers from the disk.

Let me know whether if the system improves.

Regards,

bwv848

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users