Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

additional drive on laptop today

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Solar29

Solar29

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Yesterday my laptop was ungraded to Windows 10 Pro version 1703. Everything was working OK. Booted off and, this morning after Comcast had lost Internet, Phone, & TV and then came back up booted the laptop again and had 2 new drives and DVD drive had changed to D: from F:. The new drives were F: & G:. These look like duplicates?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? Sometimes a Windows 10 upgrade will attach a drive letter to the EFI system partition. Also an upgrade can add a Windows RE (Recovery Environment) partition.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Win Key + R =>
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
=> OK
Selekt and run =>
Computer Management => Disk Manaement => Right click on drive or partition and select "Changes Drive Letter and Parts..."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

I would suggest that you do what John has suggested.  If what he suspects is in fact what happened you should just live with the change.  This shouldn't cause any issues with the operating system.  Since you are aware that the D: drive is now the F: drive you could just leave those letters as they are.

If you post a screenshot of the Disk Management we will be able to confirm if the F: and G: are both Windows RE partitions.

If you need instructions to make a screen shot and how to post it in your topic I've provided this below.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Solar29

Solar29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

2llg5j6.jpg

#6 Solar29

Solar29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Put the screen shot up, but don't how it helps.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

You posted a screenshot, but it was not the image that was requested.

This is a quotation from post #4 which I posted.

If you post a screenshot of the Disk Management we will be able to confirm if the F: and G: are both Windows RE partitions.

What you posted was the image of This PC which does not provide the information found in Disk Management as you can see in the image below.  Take notice of the difference in the two images.

disk%20management_zpse2qfeb2d.png

You can open Disk Management by doing the following.  Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Disk Management

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

Windows gave your System Partition a drive letter. Normally this does not have a drive letter but I have absolutely no idea why Windows is duplicating your Windows partition with drive letter G: I have never seen this before.

It would help if you also gave a screen shot of Disk Management and not just Computer. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

#9 Solar29

Solar29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

2nbxf1e.jpg

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yesterday my laptop was ungraded to Windows 10 Pro version 1703. Everything was working OK. Booted off and, this morning after Comcast had lost Internet, Phone, & TV and then came back up booted the laptop again and had 2 new drives and DVD drive had changed to D: from F:. The new drives were F: & G:. These look like duplicates?!

Who upgrade the laptop?

Did anyone run the subst command?

#11 Solar29

Solar29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Windows did the upgrade automatically.  This command (subst) was not run by me. Have to check as to when I purchased the laptop a few years ago. Was windows 7 then upgraded using the free windows 10 upgrade, then to windows 10 1607 then to the latest. 

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

Wow, that's crazy!  Is it possible that you have another drive in the laptop that you did not know about? I think not but thought I'd ask.  It would have to have been the exact same size also but still possible.  Probably just a hiccup by CU.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

Looks like someone imaged the C: drive on Disk 0, to the G: drive on Disk 1.

Is this being used as a backup image of C: ?

The drive letter F: was assigned to the System partition on Disk 1, which is abnormal.

All in all, Disk 1 looks like a mirror of Disk 0.

Edited by jwoods301, 18 June 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

@Solar29 There are so many problems with Windows 10 Upgrades from older OS's, especially to the CU, I would have kept Windows 7 anyway.  With that said, it seems like everything is working properly, so I wouldn't worry about it.  If not you can always backup your info, download and install with a new Image.  The new image has CU in it, so it will be very smooth.  

If this is a 17" Laptop see if there is another Drive in it, many 17" laptops have two drives.  Lot's of folks don't even know they have the extra drive.  I've recovered laptops with basically new drives in them in the second bay that were never used.  Maybe the install went to both drives? haha, I don't know, but anything is possible with windows 10

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users