Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared folder specific network user

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a small workplace with a few computers on the network. All systems are running windows ranging from XP - 10.

My pc runs windows 10 and I have shared 1 folder in the network. So the other guys can access that folder only.

In my shared folder I have created a few folders on the basis of name. For e.g. Jack, Tom and Jim. Currently any of the 3 guys can access any folder. But what I want is that Jack can access his folder only and not jim or tom and so on for others. I can access any as its in my pc.

I tried to set permission in folder sharing by right clicking on folder, properties, security and in add i tried to add that person by browsing it in network but in select users or groups on my pc name is shown. I may not be following the right approach.

How can I achieve that ?

Regards,
 Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Jack, Tom, and Jim all need to have accounts on your computer with passwords that are the same as their computer.  Then you give the users on your computer access to the folder.  Microsoft suggests that you only do this for less than 10 computers.  Once you hit 10 computers you should be looking at a server solution.

#3 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

Jack, Tom, and Jim all need to have accounts on your computer with passwords that are the same as their computer.  Then you give the users on your computer access to the folder.  Microsoft suggests that you only do this for less than 10 computers.  Once you hit 10 computers you should be looking at a server solution.

Well the pc (where folder is shared) is my personal system. So you are saying that I need to create user account in my pc so that those guys can access it from their computer in the network. The problem is this will give them access to my pc as well.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:45 AM

Hi,

Well the pc (where folder is shared) is my personal system. So you are saying that I need to create user account in my pc so that those guys can access it from their computer in the network. The problem is this will give them access to my pc as well.

If you create them as normal users accounts and not as Admins they can't access your files also its possible to block then from login into the machine. Do you have Windows 10 Pro?

A better alternative in my opinion is to purchase a NAS system that is build exactly for this, you get better protection for your data in case of hardware failure, etc. and it allows you to create shares, users and do backups of the computers on the network. At my work we have good experience with Synology https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/nas_selector

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

That's the whole problem when you get into sharing and security.  If you just want to give people access, that's easy.  If you want it to be secure, that's work.

They need an account, with a password, on your machine to allow you to secure it by user.  While the password can be different that what they use on their machine, life is a lot easier if they are identical.

There are many ways to accomplish your goal.  The NAS solution recommended by SleepyDude is another.

You could also create user accounts for each person, USER1, USER2, USER3 with a password.  Then make a batch file on each person's machine to automatically map to the drive share on your machine using that account.  You could put the batch file in the start up folder for the user or the computer, depending on need.

NET USE S: /D
NET USE S: \\YOURCOMPUTER\USER1SHARE /u:USER1 USER1Password

#6 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

Thank you guys for your reply. My workplace is small with < 6 workstations. I don't think I need to purchase a NAS system.

So what you guys are saying if there are 3 computers in the network then I need to put in their login id in my system and create an account.

1) PC 1 - Win Xp - ID Admin

2 PC 2 - Win 8 - ID Jack

3) PC 3 - Win 7 - ID Jim

So I just need to create three accounts with same user id. What if 2 ids on different systems are same? (e.g. admin).

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:20 AM

Thank you guys for your reply. My workplace is small with < 6 workstations. I don't think I need to purchase a NAS system.

So what you guys are saying if there are 3 computers in the network then I need to put in their login id in my system and create an account.

1) PC 1 - Win Xp - ID Admin

2 PC 2 - Win 8 - ID Jack

3) PC 3 - Win 7 - ID Jim

So I just need to create three accounts with same user id. What if 2 ids on different systems are same? (e.g. admin).

Using the same user and password is simpler because Windows will try to auto logon with that credentials when the user tries to access the shared folder. This makes the access works transparently.

You can use different user and pass from the ones used on the machine with the network share but then you should store the credentials to use on the Credential Manager applet that is on the Control Panel (available on Windows 7 and above) and this way avoid the constant need of typing the user and pass to access the network share.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

I believe you could create three accounts on your computer, WinXP, Win7, and Win8.  Assign those accounts a password and then use the batch file I posted earlier.  If you put it in the User's Startup (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) it would be for that specific user.  If you put it in the all users (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp) it would be for anyone using that machine.  Paths supplied are for Windows 7 and above.  If the users are advanced enough, they would know that user name and password that you are using to access the share, since batch files are just text files.  You can set up your machine to not allow those users to log in locally.

All of this said, you would be able to access anything, anyone, put on your machine.  In the end the question is how secure do you really want to make this?

NET USE S: \\YOURCOMPUTER\WinXP /u:WinXP WinXPPassword
NET USE S: \\YOURCOMPUTER\Win7 /u:Win7 Win7Password
NEW USE S: /D
NET USE S: \\YOURCOMPUTER\Win8 /u:Win8 Win8Password

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a small workplace with a few computers on the network. All systems are running windows ranging from XP - 10.

My pc runs windows 10 and I have shared 1 folder in the network. So the other guys can access that folder only.

In my shared folder I have created a few folders on the basis of name. For e.g. Jack, Tom and Jim. Currently any of the 3 guys can access any folder. But what I want is that Jack can access his folder only and not jim or tom and so on for others. I can access any as its in my pc.

I tried to set permission in folder sharing by right clicking on folder, properties, security and in add i tried to add that person by browsing it in network but in select users or groups on my pc name is shown. I may not be following the right approach.

How can I achieve that ?

Regards,
 Jack

Ugh that reminds me of my Windows XP Support training.  They expressed importance in file permissions.  All you do is all go to your folder.. right click... to go sharing... and share.. add the user.  You may have to hard code them in instead of selecting them.  That is why there is usually an active directory system always running.

Cannot hard code them then try \\computer and see if you can select the user from the computer's object.
or maybe the workgroup object can give you the users ... \\workgroup

Edited by GoofProg, 12 June 2017 - 02:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users