Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different RAM sticks in dual channels

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xTeChN0

xTeChN0

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hello!

I have been doing some research about using different sets of RAM sticks in dual channels on the same motherboard (My MB: MSI MS-7758). Reading on the forums I could find a lot of different answers whether it will work or not so I decided to ask here.

I have installed two 4GB RAM sticks in dual channel: Kingston DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM 9905471-011.A00LF, Memory Speed: 666.7 MHz (DDR3-1333 / PC3-10600).

I was looking to add or change those with two of these 4GB sticks: DDR3 Patriot 4GB 1600MHz CL11.

So my question is will adding Patriot RAM sticks work and will MB clock them just on a lower speed or it will not work and it is better to use Patriot sticks instead of Kingston sticks? And will this lower speed actually make a big, noticeable difference outside of benchmarks? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unopie

unopie

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

Yes those two sticks that you are planning to install will work fine. Since your motherboard supports the two speeds. Maybe I am missing your questions, but here is a chart of the speed of ram it supports for your MB:

f305d4719d728476bb5a66fef52fdc97.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

So my question is will adding Patriot RAM sticks work and will MB clock them just on a lower speed or it will not work and it is better to use Patriot sticks instead of Kingston sticks? And will this lower speed actually make a big, noticeable difference outside of benchmarks?

Should work and motherboard probably adjusts timings via SPD and so probably without extra tweaking memory clock will be 1333 MHz. Difference between 1333 and 1600 is very small outside memory intensive applications (quite small on those).

Edited by Drillingmachine, 08 June 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#4 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Ok thanks! That was what I was looking for.

But I got another question now. Since slowest are Kingston sticks with clock speed 1333 MHz then why is Speccy showing me this: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)" and HWinfo64 tells me that my RAM speed is 666,7 MHz if Kingston memory is clocked at 1333 MHz? To clarify, right now I have only two 4GB Kingston sticks installed.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

667*2=1333

#6 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

Oh ok :D . Did not think of doing some simple math :D Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users