Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup fails, B/U never been done--"Bitlocker"---I'm lost!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Duke4444

Duke4444

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

I've never done a backup on this computer but realize that I need to do so.

This is with Win 7 OS HP desktop.

As I attempt to do so and as I clik the "Back up now' with the location showed as My Passport (E) with 1,55 TB free of 1.82 TB, it just doesn't work and I'm lost.   I'm informed that "Check your backup  The last backup did not complete successfully".

When I click "more information" Here's the message that comes up.

"Windows Backup failed while determining libraries location of one of the users included in backup.

Details: BitLocker Drive Encryption cannot be used because critical BitLocker system files are missing or corrupted. Use Windows Startup Repair to restore these files to your computer

There are two options then available; Try to run backup again  OR Change backup settings."

Is there an easy way to fix this, I'm lost when it comes to this?  I have not clue as to what Bitlocker is!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

It has been quite a while since I used the build-in Windows backup function, so I likely will not be too much help with that.

I can at least offer one bit of information. BitLocker is Windows built-in encryption system for at a minimum encrypting your whole disk.

At to backing up, if no one is able to help you figure out why the built-in Windows backup system is not working and giving you that error message, then one work around would be to use a third party backup program. There are lots of options out there, including free options.

#3 Duke4444

Duke4444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

BC Advisor,

Can you give me a suggestion about the names of the 'third party backup program" that you refer to, or tell me a name or a location to search for such an item.

I would appreciate any help, thank you.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

What version of Windows 7 do you have, Ultimate? Bitlocker is only provided with Windows 7 Enterprise, Server, and Ultimate.  If you don't know what Bitlocker is you probably should not be using it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

OP could not reply to my post and PM'd me. Per your PM indicating you have Windows 7 Pro. To check if the computer has Bitlocker you should see a Bitlocker setting in Control Panel under Security.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd835565(v=ws.10).aspx

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/969.how-to-determine-if-bitlocker-drive-encryption-is-enabled.aspx

If you have determined there is no Bitlocker you can use a third party backup program. I have only experience with the first two. Create the Bootable Media, either DVD or USB flash drive that each program offers. This will let you restore the image should the computer no longer boot or if the image needs to be restored to a new disk.

Aomei and Easeus also offers File Backup besides complete disk image backup. You need to backup to another drive be it an internal one or by a USB external drive. I recommend you at least do a complete disk image. All programs allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive so you can explore and copy any file out of the image.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard Free

Easeus Todo Backup Free

I have only used Windows Backup to do a System Image Backup, never a File Backup. If you desire File Backup along with Complete Disk Image backup I would recommend you look at Aomei or Easeus for a free alternative.

#6 Duke4444

Duke4444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

I hope this works for the reply, I've searched because it made no sense that your message came to me in the form of a regular email yet i could not reply in a normal email fashion. 

At least I need to learn how this works and I swear I tried to do this before, but maybe not.

A friend of mine has suggested that I install Cobain 11, I'm going to try it, are you familiar with it?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

No, but somebody else on the forum may be familiar with it.

Seems it's no longer supported. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobian_Backup

Cobian Backup was originally released in 2000. The program was later rewritten and released under version 7. The next version (version 8) was released in 2006. Its source code was later released under the Mozilla Public License in late January 2007. However, with version 9 the author of Cobian Backup decided to switch back to a completely closed source model.[2]Older versions will remain Open Source forever, as the release of the program under the Mozilla Public License cannot be revoked.

Development and support by the original author has been discontinued with version 11.2.0.582 and the source code has since been sold off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users