Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Today it is End of Life for MBAM 2, and due time for upgrading to Malwarebytes 3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:15 AM

Hi all!

Since Malwarebytes 3 was released on December 8, 2016, users of MBAM 2 who were experiencing issues with Malwarebytes 3 have had the opportunity to revert back to MBAM2 and/or report their issues to the Malwarebytes Forum for investigation.

However, today it is End of Life for MBAM 2, and due time for upgrading to Malwarebytes 3.

What if I decide not to upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0?
Per our new Lifecycle Policy that will go into effect on the Malwarebytes 3.0 GA date, Consumer versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will reach End of Sale and End of Maintenance as of the Malwarebytes 3.0 GA date. This means we will no longer sell or renew these versions, and we are not planning to release any more software updates. Technical support will be limited to supporting existing functionality as of that date. End of Life for these versions will be exactly 6 months from the Malwarebytes 3.0 GA date. Users may choose not to upgrade and continue to use older versions after the End of Life date if they wish, but they do so at their own risk, since we can’t guarantee that ongoing protection updates will be available.

Please see malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle for more details.

You can download Malwarebytes 3.0 from either Bleeping Computer or Malwarebytes.

But before you install, please uninstall MBAM 2.0 from Programs and Features and afterwards optionally run the new Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall Tool from either Bleeping Computer or Malwarebytes.

And in the event that you experience any trouble, then make sure to try the above-mentioned tool.

Note: It is recommended that you backup or obtain the licensing information before running the tool in order to restore the paid (Premium) version.

I wish everyone good luck with the upgrade! :thumbup2:

Please discuss!

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 08 June 2017 - 10:34 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

I've been using MBAM 3.n (now up to 3.1.2.1733) and personally have not experienced any issues.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

It is difficult and expensive for any vendor to continue long-lasting support for legacy software...most of us knew this day was coming.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Hi, jwoods301 & quietman7!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

I personally have not experienced any issues with the latest release either. :thumbup2:

Yeah, I agree that most Malwarebytes users already upgraded to MB 3.0 when it was first released, or at some point during these 6 months, but now everyone who wants to continue using MB should upgrade.

During this said time, various Malwarebytes users have continually reported errors on their support forum, which Malwarebytes has diligently resolved, while gradually releasing new versions of their software.

The recommendation for these users has been to revert back to MBAM2 and/or report their issues to the Malwarebytes Forum for investigation, but now MBAM2 is legacy software, as you verify.

So, I agree that this really is no news, but I just thought all MBAM 2.0 users should know. As a side note, I wish Malwarebytes had a newsletter dedicated to new releases, but apparently they do not...

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 June 2017 - 09:00 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

They could have posted something on their Malwarebytes Lab Blog or Malwarebytes News as a reminder.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply and tips, however they surely do not have any system on it!

Sometimes they publish release notes on the Release History homepage, but only major releases; not minor ones.

Of course, they display SysTray notifications as new releases are being rolled out, first for Premium license users (like you) and secondly for Free users (like me).

Furthermore, they publish new releases on their forum, however TBH I do not frequent it.

Additionally, BC publishes new releases in the Downloads Section, and sometimes new releases are being mentioned in this AV/AM Forum.

Thank you very much again! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 June 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

My understanding is that the database updates will still be provided for MBAM 2, but for how long is unknown...

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/201887-database-updates-and-version-info/?do=findComment&comment=1132106

It is still being recommended here in the Malware removal forum.

Edited by jwoods301, 12 June 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

From the above topic link provided by jwoods301.

celee, Malwarebytes Administrators

I just asked our Product Manager and he said Malwarebytes 1.75-2.x will continue to get database updates after the June 8 date for now while we continue to migrate users over to 3.1, but like the End of Life policy states, "ongoing protection updates are not guaranteed". I do not know what date the team will decide to turn off database update for the older Malwarebytes Anti-Malware versions.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users