Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD filling up with data

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Darkspeed76

Darkspeed76

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:13 AM

Hello all. So, I have a Windows 7 laptop with a 250GB SSD and a 750GB HDD. The SSD is the C: Drive. As the title states, my SSD is filling itself up with some unknown data, rendering its storage useless. Right now, it says it has "7.45 MB free of 214 GB". I have deleted large files, but this is only a temporary fix. The drive keeps filling itself up until it's full. 

I have already tried running disk cleanup, as well as deleting all but the most recent restore points. I have also run a full scan of Malwarebytes and found no viruses. None of these solutions have worked.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

Consider getting one of those utilities that can give you an overall graph of the directories with the largest content, and then can drill down and show you the files within those large-content directories.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Darkspeed76

Darkspeed76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:22 AM

Could you name or provide a link to one of those utilities?

#4 Darkspeed76

Darkspeed76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

It could just be typical temporary files, but since my original post, my drive now has "588 KB free of 214GB".
If I keep refreshing the computer directory in the explorer, I can literally watch the number fall.

Edited by Darkspeed76, 08 June 2017 - 12:29 AM.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Take a look at TreeSize Free...

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Some possibilities...

1. System Restore files.

2. Hibernation files.

3. Page file.

4. CBS log files.

5. Temp files.

Edited by jwoods301, 08 June 2017 - 01:02 AM.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:46 AM

Some quick 'breathing room' can usually be attained by setting recycle bin properties to a lower percentage of available drive space; 2% works much better than 10%....or if requires specific amount in GB, set it to 2-3 GB or so...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 Darkspeed76

Darkspeed76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:50 AM

"http://imgur.com/a/GFmw1" is a link to screenshots of the TreeSize results. Seems my Temp and Logs directories are huge. Would it be dangerous to my computer to delete everything in them? If so, how should I go about cleaning them out? -And how can I prevent them from filling up in the future?

Edited by Darkspeed76, 08 June 2017 - 02:50 AM.

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

download and run CCleaner....

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Most folks accumulate at least 1-2 GB of junk per week from surfing....

I've used CCleaner successfully, without issues, for a couple of years at least....

Edited by MDD1963, 08 June 2017 - 03:05 AM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 Darkspeed76

Darkspeed76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:04 AM

I am unable to install CCleaner: Running "ccsetup530.exe" gives me an error message:

Extract: error writing to file
C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\nss96A0.tmp\UserInfo.dll

EDIT: I just had to clear some space... I deleted some cab files and then it installed successfully.
I ran CCleaner and that fixed my problem: 110 GB free.

Thank you, MDD1963! Great help!

Now, how do I prevent these files from forming again? If there's no way, I suppose I could just run CCleaner regularly.

Edited by Darkspeed76, 08 June 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

Hi,

You should run a System files check, you have so many logs files that could indicate a problem with the system...

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the following command and press Enter:
    sfc /scannow

Note: This may take some time to finish.

let me know if it doesn't say "No integrity violations found"

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 Darkspeed76

Darkspeed76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

RESULTS:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow 

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and if I go to that directory... 
CBS.log: https://www.mediafire.com/?nptg0a3n4cexov8

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

The message says System File Checker successfully repaired what it found, so that's good news.

The bad news is that if you followed this advice on renaming VSSAdmin (which you should)...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/why-everyone-should-disable-vssadmin-exe-now/

...you will need to rename it again.

SFC will replace the renamed version with the original .exe when it is run, so it re-opens the vulnerablility.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

A couple of things you can do. Download TFC and run it. After running it type Run in the Search Box. In the Run Box type %temp%. You can delete anything in the temp directory TFC leaves behind.

Check your System Restore setting and see what percentage of the disk you are using for Restore Points.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

If you have Windows 7 backup enabled you can delete older backups.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/618-backup-files-schedule-turn-off.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/628-backup-user-system-files-delete-backups.html

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

I am unable to install CCleaner: Running "ccsetup530.exe" gives me an error message:

Extract: error writing to file
C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\nss96A0.tmp\UserInfo.dll

EDIT: I just had to clear some space... I deleted some cab files and then it installed successfully.
I ran CCleaner and that fixed my problem: 110 GB free.

Thank you, MDD1963! Great help!

Now, how do I prevent these files from forming again? If there's no way, I suppose I could just run CCleaner regularly.

You can download a portable (doesn't need to be installed) version of CCleaner from MajorGeeks...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_portable.html

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

A couple of things you can do. Download TFC and run it. After running it type Run in the Search Box. In the Run Box type %temp%. You can delete anything in the temp directory TFC leaves behind.

One of the issues I have with TFC is that it doesn't always prompt for a reboot.

Since it will terminate some programs on its own, those stay off unless the system reboots.

IMO, CCleaner is a better choice for novice users.

Additionally, CCleaner will also (for better or worse) allow the user to delete individual restore points...except the most recent one

Edited by jwoods301, 08 June 2017 - 07:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users