Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor/Trackpad freezing or not responding consistently

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 idratherbesleeping

idratherbesleeping

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Hi, 

I hope this is the right forum for this, I wasn't really sure!

My trackpad/touchpad is constantly freezing, at least every few seconds. Between periods of inconsistency, it works perfectly. The cursor will not move for a few seconds, or will respond very late, while I'm trying to use it. 

I'm running Windows 10 on an HP Pavilion. This problem is relatively new, only about a month old, and does not at all affect the rest of the laptop (the touchscreen, keyboard, shortcuts, etc.) as far as I can tell. 

From what I've read this doesn't seem to be an isolated issue, but I haven't found a good solution yet. 

1. I've tried installing/reinstalling/rolling back/updating drivers, but I'm honestly not very familiar with how to do it properly. At times, I've received an error message about Windows being unable to locate a driver file. (Image below.) I've followed the path myself, and tried to run it both standard, and as an administrator as advised online but I haven't seen anything happen but the PC asking me if I should allow it to make changes. 
  2. I have also uninstalled the device, as suggested by another technician.
  3. I've cleaned my trackpad as well, though I believe it has little to do with the problem as I can consistently fix it by locking and unlocking the device. 
  4. I've set the filter activation time to zero, which I read online, but haven't seen any change. 
  5. I've used an external mouse, which works as expected, but an external mouse is definitely not ideal to carry around with me at all times
  6. I checked the task manager but I haven't seen anything that seems like it could have caused the problem. Right now, my mouse is frozen and my CPU is only at 2%, and my memory at 54%.
Other:
  1. have used a driver that didn't seem to run into the problem, but I'm not sure which it was, and it has been changed (either by me, or a technician at the Windows Store) since. I did not have use of any 2+ finger gestures, such as scrolling, which I use constantly, when I used it, however.
  2. I've noticed that when I'm holding/dragging (ex: to highlight, select multiple items on desktop, dragging windows) the mouse seems to be fine. 
  3. Locking the laptop fixes the issue very briefly (while locked, and a few seconds after login)- I don't recall it ever occurring before the laptop was unlocked, so I'm not sure what the actual problem is. 

Attached File  Screenshot (43).png   237.47KB   0 downloadsThe current driver

iVNm69e.jpgThe error message upon switching drivers

I'd love any help on how to best fix this, as it's become a nuisance. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

What is the model of this HP laptop?

Have you tried to download drivers from the HP website for the touchpad?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 idratherbesleeping

idratherbesleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

It is an HP Pavilion x360 Convertible running Microsoft WIndows 10 Home. 

I personally have not tried to download from the HP website, though I am fairly sure they tried at the Windows store. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

You may wish to confirm that they downloaded updated drivers from the HP website.  If they haven't it would definitely be worth trying.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 idratherbesleeping

idratherbesleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

I went ahead and reinstalled the drivers from the HP account, but I'm still running into the error message each time I log into my account, and occasionally during use. I'm still having trouble with the mouse skipping or freezing - and sometimes the mouse goes "crazy" and registers clicks and moves vertically without my action.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

The HP Pavilion x360 apparently came out with more than one version.  I know there is a 11 inch screen and a 13 inch screen.  What is the version of your Pavilion?

Did you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#7 idratherbesleeping

idratherbesleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I have the 13" version of the Pavilion, and I received it with Windows 10 already installed.

I have used it for about a year or so without this problem, which only arrived in the last few months. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/A5TWnGZk1Y4OrLtWNtSEktx

#8 idratherbesleeping

idratherbesleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Sorry, still looking to resolve this issue. 

Recently, I have also run into a problem where, as I move the cursor, it responds as if I am attempting to scroll with two fingers, even though I'm only using one, as I would in any program. I've restarted many times and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers again, but the problem persists. It's getting quite annoying to deal with, and again is inconsistent, switching between responding properly, to skipping and switched one and two finger gestures. 

The error message mentioned in the original post is also still appearing. 

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

You posted that you have had this computer about a year.  Is this computer still under warranty?  If you don't know it would be worth calling HP to find out if it is.

#10 idratherbesleeping

idratherbesleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

No, the computer isn't under warranty anymore. 

I've scheduled an appointment at the Microsoft Store, so they can take another look, but so far still haven't solved it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users